Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arnorei View Post

Lights that have motion sensors are easy to find and quite cheap. My neighbour has one, whenever one of my cats passes under it, it lights. Simple. Also alarms exist too.
    The very fact you seem hostile towards everyone for not agreeing with you shows you aren't interested in having a reasonable discussion, I even agreed with the issue and you still inclined to insult my intelligence, so go find your need for bigotry elsewhere.

You sound more like you are just trying to promote France as superior because they do something different to combat energy conservation, they aren't.
    Fod Sparta los wuth, ahrk okaaz gekenlok kruziik himdah, dinok fent kos rozol do daan wah jer do Samos. Ahrk haar do Heracles fent motaad, fah strunmah vonun fent yolein ko yol

Brewmaster
    15+ Year Old Account
    I'm not quite sure if I follow. This isn't something new. Shop lights are turned off in most Norwegian cities. Its a rarity that it isn't. That might be due to the insane prices in general for electricity.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Due to the most part of electricity being nuclear in France the price is actually pretty low compared with other countries and a lot of shops and office buildings lights stay on when there's nobody in the night. And that's not for security reasons. For exemple I live in a medium city (25.000) and all jewelry, estate agencies and shops lights are on just to show their products. Off course, they pay their bills but that is a waste of energy and this some fucking light pollution. There is allready a lot of light pollution due to public lights and as an amateur astronomer it's very hard to have good observation near a city. So why add another source of light pollution ?

I'm french, I'm really sorry if my english is bad. I try to do my best.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lothaeryn View Post
    The very fact you seem hostile towards everyone for not agreeing with you shows you aren't interested in having a reasonable discussion, I even agreed with the issue and you still inclined to insult my intelligence, so go find your need for bigotry elsewhere.

You sound more like you are just trying to promote France as superior because they do something different to combat energy conservation, they aren't.
    I don't really see where he was hostile against you...at all. You posed a possible problem with that new measure (increase in theft, burglaries...), so he answered with what he thinks is a reasonable solution to the problem. You may agree or not on the solution, and can argue with him about it if you want, but I don't understand why you're being so hostile.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lothaeryn View Post

Ok, show where I insult your inteligence. Quote that exact part.

Is it because I told you about the lights with sensors? They might not be spread where you live, I know different countries have different things, so I thought you might not know that they are cheap.
    Is it because I gave an example of how it works? Or what?

Quote Originally Posted by Pancha View Post
    I'm not quite sure if I follow. This isn't something new. Shop lights are turned off in most Norwegian cities. Its a rarity that it isn't. That might be due to the insane prices in general for electricity.
    I see people from places like Norway, Sweden, and similar places all say this, so well done to you all. Unfortunately in many countries this is not the case.

...then how am I to wear my sunglasses at night? =(

:P

Certain industry lights are more energy efficient to keep on. This is exactly the kind of thing the government doesn't need to be mandating and especially not blanket mandates to a matter with a wide range of different components.

France doesn't care though. They think more government is the solution to everything.

For some reason I was under the impression that leaving the lights on at night was to dissuade robbers. I'm not entirely sure how or why that made sense to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

Deleted
    already do that where i live, apart from the gas stations everything goes dark about 10pm, and even the street lights turn off at midnight.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arnorei View Post
    They could try putting those stickers with "this property is protected by X Security" or something instead, they work better.
    You usually do both >_>

Quote Originally Posted by Arnorei
    And France is doing fine. Though I don't like some of their policies, this one is great. And they are still doing good per total.
    Why is this a good policy exactly? Companies that leave the lights on know full well that it costs electricity. They believe the gain of keeping some lights on outweights the cost. Why are they wrong? How do you know better what's best for each individual business in france?

10+ Year Old Account
    And what will be the punishment for the horrible crime of leaving your lights on?
    And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
    Revelation 6:8

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Diurdi View Post
    Why is this a good policy exactly? Companies that leave the lights on know full well that it costs electricity. They believe the gain of keeping some lights on outweights the cost. Why are they wrong? How do you know better what's best for each individual business in france?
    Benefits society, lowers pollution, lowers costs for everybody, businesses are not necessarily rational actors, self-interest is not always the best act, lots of good reasons.
    In fact as far as I'm aware the UK is the only european nation that outright bans guns for civilians.
    Shotguns I'll give you (provided you're allowed 12 and larger gauges... because I mean... come on...) but not .22s.
    This is why people ban guns. Gun supporters don't know what guns are.

15+ Year Old Account
    Everywhere I've worked here in the US they turn the lights off in some form or fashion.
    One store left one or two 'strategic' lights (cash register, back door, etc) on for the security cameras, but that was it.
    The other turns off the lights on a timer augmented by a motion detector. There was one day where we were slow (and still) enough, for long enough (it's a LONG timer) that the lights turned off on us. Pretty funny. We just waved our arms a bit and went back to waiting to close. That's a small subsection (pharmacy) of a 24 store as well, and they still turn the lights off in our section.
    Another turned off everything but a small bit of light at the exit/entrance, for whoever opens in the morning (the 'overnight' prepper often got there after dark).

The only places I've heard of them leaving the lights on when they're not occupied by employees/customers, is like... a stall at the mall where they don't have control over their own individual lights, but the mall still turned (most of) the lights off after the last stores closed. Or occasionally I'll see a big box like store leave a lot of lights on, but again, I assume that's in part for the cameras, in part because they would barely be off (open late, open early, etc).

Even the brand new massive grocer that opened over here who is near 24 hours has reduced-power lighting. It's all LED or Halogen where possible and it "cycles" during the day to a slightly dimmer light at times to save money and be greener. It's very much a focus over here.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zhangfei View Post
    Benefits society, lowers pollution, lowers costs for everybody, businesses are not necessarily rational actors, self-interest is not always the best act, lots of good reasons.
    Self-interest in this case is exactly what is best. The only externality is light pollution and that's a pretty flimsy concept. Altough I doubt you even understand the concept of externality.

Stores are more likely to be rational actors than not, as irrational stores get outcompeted.

And obviously the price of electricity goes up, because they're using it, in this case for a productive purpose. It's just people like you who think government is smart enough to micromanage the whole society that believe otherwise.

10+ Year Old Account
    I dont know why you'd want to light up products at night past closing when most people will be driving past your store, ignoring it anyways. I can understand sercurity, but there are better solutions than all night permanant lighting.

Theres a few buildings in my area that have ALL their lights on all night. The problem? the grocery stores that inhabited them moved out, so now they are completely empty. Obviously you;re not gonna light a store to show off non existent products, and the buildings have nothng (except maybe copper wiring) to steal. So what the heck is the point other than pure wastefulness? They are also in areas that are otherwise decently lighted due to the presence of 24 hr stores, so you'd be able to catch a thief / squatter pretty easily anyways.

Always annoyed me...

when I worked in a shop we'd have gotten a formal warning for leaving the lights on when we left