Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

Square Enix: Console Market is Weak

http://www.gamespot.com/news/square-...market-6403413

My two favorite companys from when I was a kid just lost my respect. Super mario RPG, FF6, Star ocean 2, the list could go on and on. They were the best. But now, after what...6 or 7 years straight of turning out shiny, great looking games with no story, bad controls, odd mechanics, and shoddy gameplay in general, its our fault they are failing. Its the console's devs fault. Its the markets fault.

How dare we

"The company did take time to say its portfolio of PC and social games were showing "acceptable profit."

At least something positive in that article.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

all i care about from square enix is kingdom hearts. they can keep all the other stuff O-O
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

I like how you scratched out the thing in that sentence that ruined the beginning of it though.

It's definitely the difficult consumer market that caused their huge MMO to implode in on upon itself the instant it left the gates, forcing an expensive rewrite, and definitely the difficult consumer market that caused them to make a continuous stream of sequels and spinoffs, instead of brand new games, like they had in the past. Definitely. How many years has it been since we've had a BIG Square release that had new characters, a new world, new mechanics, and everything else?

Quote Originally Posted by Somewowguy View Post
    Square Enix: It's you're fault we suck.
    You're overanalyzing the article.

No where in the article did Square Enix 'blame' consumers for their failures.

Quote Originally Posted by Author's Abstract
    Publisher blames the console market for its 5.7 billion yen loss for the nine months ending December 31 2012.
    Quote Originally Posted by Actual Square Enix Statement
    "During the nine-month period ended December 31, 2012, the Company has not recovered the operating loss posted in the six-month period ended September 30, 2012, primarily due to the increasingly difficult condition of the world-wide console game market, under which the Group is struggling to achieve a fair expected return on its investment," said Square Enix.
    Square Enix is just pointing to their failure in the 'more difficult console market' as the reason for their losses. Basically all spin.

The author's abstract is an example of putting words into someone's mouth and you're falling for it.
    Last edited by yurano; 2013-02-05 at 04:03 PM.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.gamespot.com/news/square-...market-6403413

My two favorite companys from when I was a kid just lost my respect. Super mario RPG, FF6, Star ocean 2, the list could go on and on. They were the best. But now, after what...6 or 7 years straight of turning out shiny, great looking games with no story, bad controls, odd mechanics, and shoddy gameplay in general, its our fault they are failing. Its the console's devs fault. Its the markets fault.

How dare we

Where do they say it was our fault?

it adds insult to injury they couldn't even spell the word "your" correctly

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    it adds insult to injury they couldn't even spell the word "your" correctly
    You mean the op can't spell? That was his comment, not from the article. I'm still tying to find where it says gamers are at fault.

They're not really laying blame on us, but are openly accepting that the way in which we play and buy games has changed dramatically.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Baar View Post
    You mean the op can't spell? That was his comment, not from the article. I'm still tying to find where it says gamers are at fault.
    He's interpating that is what Square Enix says. It's grasping at straws but sort of see how he thought that. Then again maybe I'm being generous.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post
    You're overanalyzing the article.

No where in the article did Square Enix 'blame' consumers for their failures.

Square Enix is just pointing to their failure in the 'more difficult console market' as the reason for their losses. Basically all spin.

The author's abstract is an example of putting words into someone's mouth and you're falling for it.
    http://www.videogamer.com/news/squar...le_market.html

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/201...console_market

^ I dont think it was just that guy.
    They arent taking the blame when they should be. Not only do they announce its not their fault they are doing poorly, but then they hype a tomb raider reboot, a dragon quest 7 remake, and a kingdom hearts 1.5 game. /mind BLOWN.
    Its like watching my dog run into a wall over and over (he's weird, its w/e). But my dog doesnt turn around and get mad at the wall...

They arent taking the blame when they should be. Not only do they announce its not their fault they are doing poorly, but then they hype a tomb raider reboot, a dragon quest 7 remake, and a kingdom hearts 1.5 game. /mind BLOWN.
    Its like watching my dog run into a wall over and over (he's weird, its w/e). But my dog doesnt turn around and get mad at the wall...
    You realize that Square Enix's statement it all spin/PR right?

Your original criticism of Square Enix blaming the player base is completely unfounded. Sure Square Enix has been making bad decisions, but you're taking it too far by saying Square Enix publically blames players for their failures. Moreover, none of your linked articles say 'exactly' that Square Enix blames players, only the original one by a shoddy Gamespot author who put words in Square Enix's mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by yurano View Post
    You realize that Square Enix's statement it all spin/PR right?

Your original criticism of Square Enix blaming the player base is completely unfounded. Sure Square Enix has been making bad decisions, but you're taking it too far by saying Square Enix publically blames players for their failures. Moreover, none of your linked articles say 'exactly' that Square Enix blames players.
    Who makes the console market? Who defines it? Where does all the money made by the gaming industry come from? Gamers....maybe?

Who makes the console market? Who defines it? Where does all the money made by the gaming industry come from? Gamers....maybe?
    Again, thats taking it too far.

When game companies are failing, its because gamers aren't buying the company's games. A Captain Obvious statement.

What Square Enix's statement says, in its purest form, is: "We've incurred a loss because players aren't buying our games". They also say that its 'difficult' for Square Enix to succeed into what they call the 'worldwide console market'.

You're taking Square Enix's statement to mean: "Why aren't you buying our games? ITS ALL YOUR FAULT!", which is clearly misrepresentation of Square Enix's words. This interpretation is only asserted in the poorly written Gamespot article and not in the other Videogamer and Nintendolife articles. You're reading too much into the word 'blame' used in the articles.

With what happened with SWTOR,FFXIV,D3, whats left of FFXI (i know they aren't from all the same company but i am using them as an example)

Evidence shows what they said isn't all wrong, players destroy games

especially the ones that said they liked a game during alpha & beta then go apeshit when it goes live saying "this isn't the game i wanted!!!!!"

shiny, great looking games with no story
    Final Fantasy XII had a better story than just about any JRPG in the past 10, maybe 15 years.

That being said, just about every JRPG released in the past 10 or 15 years has been crap anyway. Genre's next to dead. Even shows signs of losing momentum in the Japanese market.

Can't speak for any of their other titles of other genres. Haven't had a functioning console for several years so I haven't had the chance to play it XIII, but everyone I know who's opinion on games I respect enjoyed it.

There's literally no excuse for XIV, though. It was practically a huge slap in the face for every beta tester. We constantly told them all sorts of problems, and they basically released the game with a big "Fuck you, beta testers. This is the game we want to release" sticker slapped onto it.

Yeah. Thank you very much, Square Enix. Asshole.
    Quote Originally Posted by Novakhoro View Post
    I recommend shoulder surgery immediately... there's no way you didn't fuck it up with how hard you just reached.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Veyne View Post
    Final Fantasy XII had a better story than just about any JRPG in the past 10, maybe 15 years.

That being said, just about every JRPG released in the past 10 or 15 years has been crap anyway. Genre's next to dead. Even shows signs of losing momentum in the Japanese market.

Can't speak for any of their other titles of other genres. Haven't had a functioning console for several years so I haven't had the chance to play it XIII, but everyone I know who's opinion on games I respect enjoyed it.

There's literally no excuse for XIV, though. It was practically a huge slap in the face for every beta tester. We constantly told them all sorts of problems, and they basically released the game with a big "Fuck you, beta testers. This is the game we want to release" sticker slapped onto it.

Yeah. Thank you very much, Square Enix. Asshole.
    Dark souls has been one of the best games ever made. Don't really know where you get this shit.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think the quality at Square Enix took a nosedive after they started releasing games on multiple consoles. I think games that are designed specifically for whatever platform it's on, be it xbox, pc, or playstation, whatever it is , games play better when they're only designed for one platform.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinachsandwich View Post
    I think the quality at Square Enix took a nosedive after they started releasing games on multiple consoles. I think games that are designed specifically for whatever platform it's on, be it xbox, pc, or playstation, whatever it is , games play better when they're only designed for one platform.
    And why would that be?