Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Unhappy [US] School drills mock shooting massacare

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/201...-mock-massacre

Authorities wanted this mock school massacre to feel as realistic as possible.

Two fake shooters in dark sunglasses begin stalking students on a crowded campus, setting off a chaotic scene of screaming children running for cover amid cracks of gunfire and bomb smoke.
    Some student actors, covered in blood-red paint, were heard crying for help as others, as young as 12, locked themselves inside barricaded classrooms.
    The shooters were even seen picking their way through the bodies of students playing dead, nudging some with the end of their boot to see if they needed finishing off.

"I felt really terrified," Kianna Whitten, one of 20 teenage actors who took part in the exercise, told NBC. "I've never felt that scared."
    Patrol cars, SWAT vehicles and ambulances eventually swarmed onto the campus to rescue the students, as a videographer captured all the action on camera.
    The simulated massacre was played out at a school in the northern Californian town of Modesto on Sunday, so authorities can better prepare for such emergencies in the future.

The training video that will be produced from the exercise is to be distributed next year to school administrators and law enforcement agencies throughout California, authorities said.

"We need to actually know how our guys at the Sheriff's Office are going to respond to an actual emergency and the best way to do that is through live simulated training, making it as real as we can," Sergeant Anthony Bejaran from Stanislaus County Sheriff's Office said.
    Sunday's exercise was designed in the aftermath of the Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting in Connecticut two months ago, in which a gunman fatally shot 20 children and six adult staff members.

Additional Sources:
    NBC: http://www.nbcnews.com/id/8004316/ns/video/#50715906
    Mod Bee: http://www.modbee.com/2013/02/04/256...-response.html
    Australian Oceanic Multi Class Veteran of the Burning Crusade Wars!
    Twitter: @Romiretv
    Youtube: RomireTv
    Twitchy: My Twitch

We've had lockdown drills for a long time now. It was hard to take it seriously when people just wore signs on their chest that said "Bomb" or "Gunman," so I don't see a problem in making the drills more realistic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zantos View Post
    There are no 2 species that are 100% identical.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redditor
    can you leftist twits just fucking admit that quantum mechanics has fuck all to do with thermodynamics, that shit is just a pose?

Man, talked about fucked up

Well, you just can't fix stupid.

So... did the school know what was coming? Did the students know it was all fake?

If yes, isn't this a good thing? Training something like that should always be welcomed.

If not... are those people suicidal? What if somebody shot them for real in self defense?

Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    If not... are those people suicidal? What if somebody shot them for real in self defense?
    Can't carry on campus there, iirc.

Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    So... did the school know what was coming? Did the students know it was all fake?

If yes, isn't this a good thing? Training something like that should always be welcomed.

they seem to have known it was a drill, but it was still frightening. probably for the best, we used to just hide under our desks and lock the doors for a bit as practice.

Deleted
    If this would have happened at my kids school and my kid and me didnt get informed... holy shit, something would blow up for real.

I can't even fathom the amount of stupidity, a fire drill is no thing but that ? Crazy world.

As long as all involved get informed I guess its "okay", still I shake my head.

10+ Year Old Account
    My school had a mock-up lockdown today but not like this... We just moved to the corners of classrooms and sat for 30 minutes until the police unlocked the door. Pretty dumb because if there was a real shooter i'd jump out the window in a second and run for the hills.
    Wow <3 Korra<3 Giants<3

Quote Originally Posted by darenyon View Post
    they seem to have known it was a drill, but it was still frightening. probably for the best, we used to just hide under our desks and lock the doors for a bit as practice.
    Alright I just saw the part where it says that the kids were around 12 years old. Something like that can definitely be scary for children of that age. I still support it... better be safe than sorry.

that's just sick

Quote Originally Posted by Rocko9 View Post
    Can't carry on campus there, iirc.
    No and you can't drive without a license either.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfootbigd View Post
    Well, you just can't fix stupid.
    haha so true!

Just out of curiosity, if your drill involves people dieing (or in this case actors with fake blood on them), is it really all that helpful? I always thought the goal was to keep people from getting shot..

Mock mass casualty events like this take planning and coordination; setup with the FD, the police, the hospitals to receive the mock patients/victims etc. They'd also have to dedicate the school day towards this event, as a good proper mass cass drill would be an all day affair. So it's very highly unlikely that this was a surprise to anyone involved.

As unfortunate as it may be to need drills like this; this day and age, e-drills like this are what's needed.
    Last edited by King Shark; 2013-02-06 at 10:37 PM.
    9 out of 10 people agree that in a room full of 10 people one person will always disagree with the other 9.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Giants41 View Post
    My school had a mock-up lockdown today but not like this... We just moved to the corners of classrooms and sat for 30 minutes until the police unlocked the door. Pretty dumb because if there was a real shooter i'd jump out the window in a second and run for the hills.
    Which gives the shooter a nice, solitary target to shoot at from any window in your line of sight. Huddle up behind others, I say :P
    If you add me on Steam, Skype or whatever program/client I share my info for, please write something to identify you in the "Dude/gal wants to join your club"-message. Just so I know that an actual human is on the other end :P

Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    No and you can't drive without a license either.
    Why are you jumping up my ass? He thought you could carry there, and I said no campus carry in California.

And besides, I can drive on my property all I want without a license and in my underwear so

Quote Originally Posted by Rocko9 View Post
    Why are you jumping up my ass? He thought you could carry there, and I said no campus carry in California.

And besides, I can drive on my property all I want without a license and in my underwear so
    No he didn't. He just said - What if somebody shot them. As in - someone had a gun. Doesn't have to be legal for them to have the gun. Nor do they have to be students. Or even related to the university.
    Is it unlikely that someone would be carrying concealed after the number of shootings the US had with so many guns per inhabitant?

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not sure how I feel about this. I'm always a fan of being prepared for disaster.

Not trying to give anyone ideas, but these very realistic mock drills would be a very good cover for an actual shooter to carry out their plans.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.

Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    No he didn't. He just said - What if somebody shot them. As in - someone had a gun. Doesn't have to be legal for them to have the gun. Nor do they have to be students. Or even related to the university.
    Is it unlikely that someone would be carrying concealed after the number of shootings the US had with so many guns per inhabitant?
    I would like to think he ment legal carry, but I'm not going to get into a gun argument with you, especially when I'm not that familiar with California law.