1. #1
    Brewmaster Elite Peon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    The American Empire of Obama
    Posts
    1,392

    Alternative ways to level ( your thoughts )

    So I started Pandaria on my 3rd 85 . I know a lot of people have leveled a lot more than that to 90 and LOVE questing . I however get bored of it fast just because of the amount of " collect this or kill this " quests .Now don't get me wrong I appreciate that It is broken up a lot more in Pandaria so we get some more interesting quests like sniping monkeys ..etc etc but I wish it was more Viable to level using BG's or Dungeons instead of it being a much slower alternative . I personally think BG's and Dungeons teach you much more than you can learn about your toon as you level then questing ever can .

    Some alternate ideas for leveling I would love to see would be :

    ** A givin to me would be Heirlooms that go to max level after your first max level toon and flying after your first max level toon.
    **Leveling via one continuous evolving storyline such as the Death Knight starting zone
    **Leveling Via BG's or Dungeons ( Bg exp and Dungeon xp increased )
    **Leveling via Scenarios
    **Or heck how about no XP penalty for grouping ( mob xp cut in half ) and adding a looking for quest type option so when you come into a new zone you can see if others want to join up and blast through the quests in that zone.
    **I would LOVE to see in the future an option to level up in the game in the same way you can join in games in Diablo 3 and they sort of treat the leveling experience as a game in itself .

    Just some ideas . What do you guys think or what options do you think they could add to make leveling in an 8 year old game funner ?

  2. #2
    Well they added xp to pet battles which is pretty nice. The rate is a bit slow but it was really too fast when they first put it in. It's easy to do while watching a movie or something though so completely brainless.

    bg and dungeon leveling is viable

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by bals View Post
    bg and dungeon leveling is viable
    This sounds like an american talking to a south african "100 gramms of rice a week is viable" while holding a 3 pound sandwich in his hands.

  4. #4
    Your are right more wway to level would be nice and it is somethng Blizz are already working on.

    Think back when you got no XP for battlegrounds and no Xp for herbing / mining.

    Also I recently leveled an alt from about 5-30 hunting and killing rare mobs =p sadly the XP trails off a bit after that. I would like to see that changed.

    They also recently added XP gained from pet-battles also.

  5. #5
    Brewmaster Elite Peon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    The American Empire of Obama
    Posts
    1,392
    Quote Originally Posted by bals View Post
    Well they added xp to pet battles which is pretty nice. The rate is a bit slow but it was really too fast when they first put it in. It's easy to do while watching a movie or something though so completely brainless.

    bg and dungeon leveling is viable
    I think they did the right thing with Battle pets just because it's really just a fun side game like archeology and really does not teach you anything about playing your toon . I am glad it does give a little xp though :-)

  6. #6
    I personally understand what you mean, Alot of people will not.

    I think in terms of learning for Raids, leveling up with BG/Instances are a better way to learn your class, I myself always try to out due myself each time I enter a instances, but I think the exp in instances and PVP is slow. But I don't think blizzard wants you to level that way I think they want those as complements to Questing. I think they want you to learn the lore... (with alts... over and over and over) which I personally enjoy my first time around, but like you after the the 1st time, all I do is sleep hunt (press one button while I level, and watch tv, while I do that till the monster dies, then I wait till I get to 90 and use pvp gear (not equip, but in my inventory) to get into heroics/raids and then try to learn the classes on trail and error, so I guess its fine if I suck because thats what RF is use for, plus after leveling using one button, I learn to play lazy in raid finder too, no one kicks you anyways as long as your not afk. WoW to me have became a lazy game (not that blizzard is lazy, they just promote lazy because, by the time you run 85-90 3x you feel lazy, I know you say don't do it then.... well I have 10 toons ((8)85 and 2 (90)) and I feel like getting the last 5 levels even if its the lazy way.) Plus my habbits in level transfer over to raid finder because to me I love raid finder cus its easy gear for playing brain dead, I hope blizzard never removes it like they did flying, to me its what I look forward to each week.
    Last edited by Kioshi; 2013-03-27 at 03:42 PM.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by ripponesan View Post
    This sounds like an american talking to a south african "100 gramms of rice a week is viable" while holding a 3 pound sandwich in his hands.
    Hey lets be a dick to Americans for no reason.

    OP: Pet battle and Gather while you wait in queue for dungeons or Bg's.
    "I hated hating Garrosh before it was cool."
    FOR THE HORDE!!!

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by kingriku View Post
    Hey lets be a dick to Americans for no reason.

    OP: Pet battle and Gather while you wait in queue for dungeons or Bg's.
    I don't think it was a jab at americans. he was just giving an example of "someone who has a lot x someone who has little to nothing".
    Warlorcs of Draenorc made me quit. You can't have my stuff.

  9. #9
    Stood in the Fire
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    363
    With gathering professions, pet battles, dungeons (especially the first time you run each due to dungeon quests), battlegrounds, and all the "special mechanics" quests they've added since end of BC I've never really felt like I ran out of stuff I wanted to do before I ran out of levels. Just do whatever you like to do and they practically throw experience at you.

  10. #10
    More ways would be nice. How about rep grinding? The main problem with offering alternatives is that flying is only available at 90. If it was available sooner, then they more options, like Arch grinding.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by checking facts View Post
    I don't think it was a jab at americans. he was just giving an example of "someone who has a lot x someone who has little to nothing".

    The response made no sense and was directed at another response that obviously did not read the entire OP. The OP was looking for creative new ways to level in the future, not ideas for other ways of leveling currently.

    As for my two cents, gathering now grants some exp, I say expand that to crafting as well. It's the next logical step/evolution of exp gains.

  12. #12
    I'd quite like to see lower-level single-player scenarios introduced, where the XP you gain is based on how well you perform a role while traversing some kind of obsticle course.

    e.g. As a healer, keep these NPCs alive during a variety of attacks,
    As a tank, tank as many mobs as you can while receiving a set amount of healing,
    As a DPS, nuke down mobs and packs.

    Then the XP would be a combination of how fast you completed the run, how much you successfully avoided and how well you performed your task. Give a percentage score for each, multiply them together to get an overall percentage, then award you that much of the available XP (say, a maximum of 25% of a level).

  13. #13
    Brewmaster Elite Peon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    The American Empire of Obama
    Posts
    1,392
    Quote Originally Posted by Aliessil View Post
    I'd quite like to see lower-level single-player scenarios introduced, where the XP you gain is based on how well you perform a role while traversing some kind of obsticle course.

    e.g. As a healer, keep these NPCs alive during a variety of attacks,
    As a tank, tank as many mobs as you can while receiving a set amount of healing,
    As a DPS, nuke down mobs and packs.

    Then the XP would be a combination of how fast you completed the run, how much you successfully avoided and how well you performed your task. Give a percentage score for each, multiply them together to get an overall percentage, then award you that much of the available XP (say, a maximum of 25% of a level).
    Ahh see now that's a great idea !

  14. #14
    Pandaren Monk schwank05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Sanborn, MN
    Posts
    1,751
    Honestly I feel if you do it once you have already put yourself through the worst part of the game which is quests, and leveling in general. I hate leveling so I feel if you get 1 character to max level you should be able to do a SOR like thing and get whatever class you want to max level with a push of a button. I only play the game for dungeons and raids so I have no interest in leveling, but I like to switch things up sometimes and play an alt.

    I wish they went back to Cata you could do 80-85 in like 5-8 hours easily. Now dungeon leveling is useless except for 1 time for the quests. I leveled 6 alts in cata, now I have 2 lvl 90's and cannot bring myself to get my other characters to max level. they made it so you don't need to level alts for professions anymore since I have all profs maxed out on my alts sitting at 85 yet. kind of a joke.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by schwank05 View Post
    Honestly I feel if you do it once you have already put yourself through the worst part of the game which is quests, and leveling in general. I hate leveling so I feel if you get 1 character to max level you should be able to do a SOR like thing and get whatever class you want to max level with a push of a button. I only play the game for dungeons and raids so I have no interest in leveling, but I like to switch things up sometimes and play an alt.

    I wish they went back to Cata you could do 80-85 in like 5-8 hours easily. Now dungeon leveling is useless except for 1 time for the quests. I leveled 6 alts in cata, now I have 2 lvl 90's and cannot bring myself to get my other characters to max level. they made it so you don't need to level alts for professions anymore since I have all profs maxed out on my alts sitting at 85 yet. kind of a joke.
    I know what you mean, i level alt in CATA, and I really didn't do them for the gears/lore, I did it because i love to try each class because blizzard always changes the way each class plays each time an expansion comes out, and I dread leveling them now, but i enjoyed it in CATA, and was so glad to try out all classes at the end CATA, keep hearing good things about them in MoP, but don't leveling is such a pain, I can live with the CATA way or the WoTLK, I don't nessary need a ding 90 button, but alittle help in extra exp would be good. I personally like Heroic and Raiding and when you can get 4+ alts up running raids all week is so much fun compare to doing dailys.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Elite Peon View Post
    **Leveling via one continuous evolving storyline such as the Death Knight starting zone

    **Leveling via Scenarios
    Isn't Pandaria basically one big long evolving storyline though? But a storyline where you can skip ahead if you want (whereas the DK starting area, you have to complete it all to leave).

    And I completely agree that there should have been scenarios for 85-89. Most of the scenarios take place in areas that you adventure in as you are leveling, and it would make sense that you should be able to do the scenarios as you level. They could have had an 85-89 version of the scenario and a lvl 90 version, so that you could get xp for them.

    Also, I think someone mentioned this, but gathering professions also give xp. My girlfriend levelled her Druid in Cata from 81-85 just by gathering herbs.

  17. #17
    Mechagnome
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    somewhere
    Posts
    643
    Much more xp in bgs/dungeons, please! The xp gain is just too low, so you're forced to quest, quest, quest if you want to be as fast as possible. Yes, getting my ass handed to me by 84 and 89 twinks with too much time and money is far better than derping around killing mobs and collecting shit

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •