Page 1 of 6
1
2
3
... LastLast
  1. #1
    Banned sandmoth12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,767

    Exclamation The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

    Socrates is the man! There are so many people that cannot fully wrap their head around that quote, yet when you fully understand its value you realize that you are not more intelligent than anyone else because you don't know anything yourself.

    Very awesome life lesson to lean.
    Last edited by sandmoth12; 2013-02-07 at 05:20 AM.

  2. #2
    The Lightbringer Seranthor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    In your dome.
    Posts
    3,563
    Quote Originally Posted by sandmoth12 View Post
    Socrates is the man! There are so many people that cannot fully wrap their head around that quote, yet when you fully understand its value you realize that you are not more intelligent than anyone else.

    Very awesome life lesson to lean.
    You would be the same person that had a thread about genius being confused with madness? And another one that demanded a law about the price of textbooks, right?

    --- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal.

  3. #3
    I'm afraid Socrates isn't the one we should be taking lessons of humility from.

  4. #4
    Banned sandmoth12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,767
    Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    You would be the same person that had a thread about genius being confused with madness? And another one that demanded a law about the price of textbooks, right?
    Um yeah..so?

  5. #5
    Confuscious say "man with hand in pocket feel cocky all day".

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    Confuscious say "man with hand in pocket feel cocky all day".
    I laughed, though I'm pretty sure he didn't actually say that.
    It's a good one, though. Very apt, as well.

  7. #7
    Banned sandmoth12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,767
    Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    I'm afraid Socrates isn't the one we should be taking lessons of humility from.
    I donno he has remained popular for some 2500 years, and his lessons are taught even in our most prestige's colleges of today. Taking that into account I would definitely say what Socrates says holds weight.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by sandmoth12 View Post
    Socrates is the man! There are so many people that cannot fully wrap their head around that quote, yet when you fully understand its value you realize that you are not more intelligent than anyone else because you don't know anything just like everyone else.

    Very awesome life lesson to lean.
    This is a bastardization of socrates. You know nothing of him, clearly. He wasn't a solipsist or such a skeptic.

  9. #9
    Wise men say "forgiveness is divine, but never pay full price for late pizza."
    9 out of 10 people agree that in a room full of 10 people one person will always disagree with the other 9.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    I'm afraid Socrates isn't the one we should be taking lessons of humility from.
    why are you afraid of that?

  11. #11
    Brewmaster DieFichte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Confederaziun svizra
    Posts
    1,293
    How can I read this post and answer it without knowing anything?

    Holy shit am I a f'ing pro!

  12. #12
    Banned sandmoth12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,767
    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    This is a bastardization of socrates. You know nothing of him, clearly. He wasn't a solipsist or such a skeptic.
    Actually I do because I have taken philosophy classes, but then again by Socrates logic I don't know because the only thing that I know is that I know nothing.

  13. #13
    Brewmaster DieFichte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Confederaziun svizra
    Posts
    1,293
    Quote Originally Posted by sandmoth12 View Post
    Actually I do because I have taken philosophy classes, but then again by Socrates logic I don't because I only know that I know nothing.
    Depends on how many philosophy classes, on what level and where to actually take that into account.

    Actually, to say or write "I know nothing" is kind of a paradoxon.

  14. #14
    Brewmaster Olianda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Saint Paul, Minnesota
    Posts
    1,266
    Quote Originally Posted by sandmoth12 View Post
    Actually I do because I have taken philosophy classes, but then again by Socrates logic I don't know because the only thing that I know is that I know nothing.
    You know nothing Jon Snow!
    Quote Originally Posted by Puck View Post
    I find it quite disheartening that I got an erection just by reading "Cowboy boots".
    Quote Originally Posted by Anodur View Post
    The greatest generation is long dead? Last I checked, Miley Cyrus, Kanye West, Rebecca Black, and One Direction are all still kickin'...

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by sandmoth12 View Post
    I donno he has remained popular for some 2500 years, and his lessons are taught even in our most prestige's colleges of today. Taking that into account I would definitely say what Socrates says holds weight.
    Of course. That says nothing about his ability of self-awareness, nor of his amount of wisdom. Merely that he had a lot of ideas, and that many of his ideas were believed to be fact for ages. Rather, Socrates has remained popular for so long because his philosophies intertwined very neatly with Catholic theology and philosophy of the natural world throughout the middle ages.

    That having said, he wasn't a humble man. You can't be all that humble if you truly believe that your personal ideas must certainly be correct even when everyone else disagrees with you. Please also understand that this comes from a person who was brought up to believe that hubris was a virtue.

    Quote Originally Posted by Raybourne View Post
    why are you afraid of that?
    Semantics; the phrase is commonly used not in a fearful situation, but when one wishes to express disappointed disagreement. Expressions such as 'I fear you're not as informed as you would wish to be,' for instance, does not express my fear, but rather my disappointment at your sources of information.
    Likewise, the word 'fear' is often used to express doubt, or, sometimes, respect, in which (at least, such is my hypothesis), the certainty of the power of the other is tied in with doubt of the self in respect to that power.

  16. #16
    Banned sandmoth12's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,767
    Quote Originally Posted by DieFichte View Post
    Depends on how many philosophy classes, on what level and where to actually take that into account.

    Actually, to say or write "I know nothing" is kind of a paradoxon.
    I know enough about Socrates to know that I know nothing which is his greatest quote and insight above all others he did.

  17. #17
    Confucius say, man who do business in whore house get jerked around

  18. #18
    Scarab Lord Zhangfei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Cola, SC via Devon
    Posts
    4,357
    Quote Originally Posted by sandmoth12 View Post
    I know enough about Socrates to know that I know nothing which is his greatest quote and insight above all others he did.
    You consider that his greatest insight? Fair enough, but I think Socrates, through Plato, introduced much more significant ideas.

    Although I like this quote. It's meant to show the intelligent doubt yet the ignorant always come across as absolutely sure.
    In fact as far as I'm aware the UK is the only european nation that outright bans guns for civilians.
    Shotguns I'll give you (provided you're allowed 12 and larger gauges... because I mean... come on...) but not .22s.
    This is why people ban guns. Gun supporters don't know what guns are.

  19. #19
    I feel like you read this quote online when you were stoned and now feel as if you are one with the universe
    Quote Originally Posted by kasath
    is anyone in this group under 18? my parole officer says I'm not allowed to play wow with anyone under 18

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by sandmoth12 View Post
    I know enough about Socrates to know that I know nothing which is his greatest quote and insight above all others he did.
    Do you have any idea how deliciously ironic this sentence is?
    Last edited by Stir; 2013-02-07 at 05:32 AM. Reason: Changed 'ridiculous' to 'delicious;' it portrays my feelings much more effectively.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •