Thread: Is my HD dying?

Is my HD dying?

I have a few external HDs, but one of them keeps on getting disconnected. Especially when the computer is coming out of sleep. I usually just have to unplug and plug in the USB cable and all is fine. Is this HD dying?

The HD is a Expansion 8TB Desktop External Hard Drive USB 3.0 (STEB8000100) and I checked the website and saw that there's no updated firmware.

Is my HD dying, or is there something with my USB 3.0 ports? I've tried a few different ports, with the same results. It might just be chance, but all of this happened after a windows 10 update.

Thanks

Open up your Event Viewer and look under System to see what error you're getting.

Quote Originally Posted by ElDoorO View Post
    Open up your Event Viewer and look under System to see what error you're getting.
    Thanks for the quick reply, not sure what I should be looking for, but these were the errors I'm getting.

https://imgur.com/bauMUMu

10+ Year Old Account
    CrystalDiskInfo will probably give better info.

I've found things like Event Viewer, Chkdsk, SMART, and Speccy, all give meh information, or sometimes outright incorrect info. CDI is the only thing Ive found reliable.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    CrystalDiskInfo will probably give better info.

I've found things like Event Viewer, Chkdsk, SMART, and Speccy, all give meh information, or sometimes outright incorrect info. CDI is the only thing Ive found reliable.
    Thanks, CDI said that all the drives were in good condition. I noticed that a few other HDs failed to show up too, so maybe it's an issue with my computer and not my HD. When I unplug my USB cables and plug them back in, the HDs show up and work just fine.

Unlikely to be the HDD itself, most likely the USB box.
    R5 5600X | Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme | MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600/CL16 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X | Corsair RM650x | Cooler Master HAF X | Logitech G400s | DREVO Excalibur 84 | Kingston HyperX Cloud II | BenQ XL2411T + LG 24MK430H-B