Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

The Actual Difficult of Challenge Modes

Since I haven't been doing much PvE since Firelands, I've been out of the loop when it comes to knowing players who are decent to excellent in PvE. I was wondering how difficult Challenge Modes actually are in reality and if people think you can complete them via 5 players in PvP etc?

thanks!

10+ Year Old Account
    Since gear is scaled down and pvp gear has (mostly) the same stats as PvE gear, you should be alright. If you want gold times though, you might want to invest some time in getting some pve weapons (2 secondary stats instead of 1). Also, bring flasks, pots and 300stat foods.

10+ Year Old Account
    Harder then preferf cata dungeons

They're definitly an interesting challenge!

Depends how well you want to do in them.

PVP gear will probably work if you don't mind Bronze, but you'll need practice, coordination, and PvE gear + consumables if you want Silver or better.

They are not that hard, there is a lot of RNG involved in them (mobs patting at the wrong time can screw your gold).

If you have good itemized gear with full consumables they will fall over within a day of trying. You just need to do some practice runs to figure out which mobs you need to kill/ ones you can skip.
    Hi Sephurik

Do you mean 5 players in PvP gear? Depends on the gear. If it's 458 honor gear you'll probably have a hard time. If it's CP gear you should be fine assuming you reforge to raid hit/exp caps and get decent trinkets, as pvp power/resil takes nothing out of the budget. Also might want to have them research PvE playstyle if they haven't done it before as talents/glyphs/etc. may change quite a bit.

If you mean just 5 players who only PvP, still depends. I've played with PvP'ers who were strong in PvE as well, and PvP'ers who sucked at it. A lot of the difficulty in CM's is just knowing the instances through and through. Knowing what trash hits hard, knowing what to avoid, knowing small tricks that can gain you time, knowing what spells are very easily lethal (Holy Fire in the scarlet dungeons) and the names of the mobs that cast them (usually want to kill those first), etc. It's a much different playstyle than PvP but much more predictable and scripted of course. Once you get it down it's easily repeatable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiquihuite View Post
    Depends how well you want to do in them.

PVP gear will probably work if you don't mind Bronze, but you'll need practice, coordination, and PvE gear + consumables if you want Silver or better.
    Lol? I've already gotten 3 golds and 2 silvers on my Boomkin with players who only had PvP gear (including PvP trinkets.)

Thanks for the misleading "help," though.

---------- Post added 2013-02-12 at 06:59 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Spiralphoenix View Post
    Do you mean 5 players in PvP gear? Depends on the gear. If it's 458 honor gear you'll probably have a hard time. If it's CP gear you should be fine assuming you reforge to raid hit/exp caps and get decent trinkets, as pvp power/resil takes nothing out of the budget. Also might want to have them research PvE playstyle if they haven't done it before as talents/glyphs/etc. may change quite a bit.

If you mean just 5 players who only PvP, still depends. I've played with PvP'ers who were strong in PvE as well, and PvP'ers who sucked at it. A lot of the difficulty in CM's is just knowing the instances through and through. Knowing what trash hits hard, knowing what to avoid, knowing small tricks that can gain you time, knowing what spells are very easily lethal (Holy Fire in the scarlet dungeons) and the names of the mobs that cast them (usually want to kill those first), etc. It's a much different playstyle than PvP but much more predictable and scripted of course. Once you get it down it's easily repeatable.
    It's fully upgraded T2 PvP gear, armor pieces are ilvl 491 while weapons/OH are 498.

Deleted
    They're rather disappointing in difficulty. I'm quite sure that scarlet halls have been 3manned with gold time. That's the easiest one of them all in my experience, but I was expecting something a bit more epic in difficulty.

Edit: Got all gold except scholo and monastary, havnt attempted yet.

you shouldnt ahve any problems just completing them. the hard part is doing it fast. even a bad grp can make the bronze timer. and any average grp can do the silver. gold however, is hard!
    as for the actaul difficulty of jsut completing them. they are harder then cata dungeons. but easier then tbc heroics (ofc depends on gear).
    Last edited by Aphrel; 2013-02-12 at 07:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragingchoi View Post
    They're rather disappointing in difficulty. I'm quite sure that scarlet halls have been 3manned with gold time. That's the easiest one of them all in my experience, but I was expecting something a bit more epic in difficulty.

Edit: Got all gold except scholo and monastary, havnt attempted yet.
    I can't find any evidence of this, you aren't like... looking at leaderboards seeing 3 players and thinking they 3 manned it right? Those don't update when people like namechange/transfer servers/etc. or something, there are even some in there occasionally with just completely empty 0/5 groups.

Anyway part of the more extreme difficulty of them is getting better times. Pull more, kite more, take more risks etc. if they aren't hard enough for you. Try for a top 10 time or something.

one tip i can say is do not bring melee (other then the tank ofcoarse) they have a pretty darn hard time in those fights from when i completed all my challenge modes on gold.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fudruker View Post
    one tip i can say is do not bring melee (other then the tank ofcoarse) they have a pretty darn hard time in those fights from when i completed all my challenge modes on gold.
    I have full gold with prot war, disc, enhance, ret, windwalker. Also full guild group.
    Yep most random setup ever.

CMs aren't ridiculously difficult from a dps point of view, it is mostly up to the tanks and healers to do their jobs well and don't stand in crap. It is all about pulling big trash mobs, I wish they made the bosses more difficult.

The point off CM's will always be that its only as hard as you want it.

Gold will always be very hard, but out off that it can be done
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyopz View Post
    Lol? I've already gotten 3 golds and 2 silvers on my Boomkin with players who only had PvP gear (including PvP trinkets.)

Thanks for the misleading "help," though.
    When you ask for help from a completely open community, you should expect the same advice you would get if you were inquiring about some kind of health issue. People like to be helpful, and they like to believe their experience will be useful for advising other people.

Mostly PvE gear will pretty safely be optimal. Though personally, as an optimized Fury Warrior, a few of my pieces that I'd like have turned up to be PvP gear, because PvP legs are the only legs that have crit and sockets on them. The gloves are very good too, as they have a strength socket bonus and good stats, but the crafted BS gloves are better because they have more sockets for more crit.

basically sockets sockets and more sockets is good stuff, flasks, buff food etc. All this stuff will contribute to your performance. Can you do it in PvP gear? Honestly, it depends on how the itemization of your PvP gear effects your performance. If PvE gear is significantly better, then I would suggest using it.

Running in full PvP gear is not something I would recommend, but people have been unconventional and succeeded before.

I'd honestly just say go with what you're comfortable with, if that is what kind of group you are playing with, and if the need for better performance from equipment itemization arises, you could address it then.

Thanks for the misleading "help," though
    Go back to the 15th December and you said

Will do!

I will probably start the group up after we finish RBGs tonight. should be ezpz
    You said it would be ezpz, 2 months and you havent managed it yet? You went in the first night and got 2 golds so you've clearly been back since.

@the OP, I see it something like this.
    - If you are one of those groups still struggling on Elegon normal you are screwed
    - If you have say 4/6 hc's under the belt it will be tough but do-able
    - If you are well progressed on HC's then I'd imagine it would be pretty easy.

Edit* So confused, the OP is the one that said its ezpz :s
    Last edited by Deja Thoris; 2013-02-13 at 12:23 AM.

Deleted
    Just started seriously working on Challenge mode golds and have 4 since Saturday. All i can say is that as long as you bring your A-game you should be fine for anything up to and including silvers.

For golds or record times you need to know your spec inside out, all the tips and tricks for PVE playstyle and tricks with each dungeon encounter. Things like having 1 spec over another (Demonology over Affliction for instance) is really only if you want to set record times. I can't manage Demo's playstyle for the life of me so I play as Affliction and Golds seem quite doable to me

While they are indeed about skill, I think working as a team, using any utility you have to your advantage to shave any second you can off the clock and just keeping at it matters more.

Just getting a gold time is pretty trivial after a few attempts.