Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ...
    In theory that stuff is pretty bad in the way of nutrition so people should buy real food.

But it doesn't matter. You can always use it for anything anyway if you find the right place.
    Growing up I saw people use food stamps and their predecessors on tobacco and alcohol regularly.
    You just find a place that's shady enough to ring it up as "groceries", milk, or produce.
    The big chains stores would avoid any abuse, but there's always other places that are happy to make a sale.

And it doesn't mean they aren't allowed to buy junk food (the little debbie Oatmeal Cream Pies mentioned above).
    It just means other people don't need to buy it for them.

I'm sick of the attitude that if you can't get someone else to buy something, then you can't have it.
    Little Debbie stuff is delicious, but people should earn some of their own money to pay for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    Its crazy, we wont drug test to allow people to get stamps, but we want to restrict the purchase of twinkies?
    Drug testing has already been proven to be a colossal waste of taxpayer money, and a box of snack cakes is $1.29. If the families on assistance want their children to have a treat that badly, they can purchase them. However, food stamps are for feeding your family to survive, not junk food purchases. I am in favor of restricting the use of food stamps to forbid junk food.

Quote Originally Posted by mrwingtipshoes View Post
    Bottle Orange juice: $2.29
    Boneless chicken breast: $2.19/lb
    Eggs: $.95
    White bread: $1
    Wheat bread: $1.89
    Wide egg noodles: $1.29 for a lbs
    Pasta sauce: $1.79 a jar
    Meatballs: $4 for 32 ozs
    Honey nut loops *cough Cheerios cough* $2.49 a box
    Generic meal bars (Obviously repackaged power bars): $1 each.
    Pretty spot on for where I live too, though for some reason eggs are usually double that here. They vary quite a lot.

The other key is besides buying generic brands is looking for sales. You can modify your shopping every time based around sales. If it's at full price, ask yourself if you really need it (like most of the things you listed are pretty essential, but some other things may not be). If you have freezer space, buy extra when on sale, or if it holds well.

Quote Originally Posted by mrwingtipshoes View Post
    T
    Bottle Orange juice: $2.29
    Boneless chicken breast: $2.19/lb
    Eggs: $.95
    White bread: $1
    Wheat bread: $1.89
    Wide egg noodles: $1.29 for a lbs
    Pasta sauce: $1.79 a jar
    Meatballs: $4 for 32 ozs
    Honey nut loops *cough Cheerios cough* $2.49 a box
    Generic meal bars (Obviously repackaged power bars): $1 each.
    Wow. You are good.

I wish I was able to eat these items - Celiac tends to be a stick in the mud. Plus Im a bit of a health nut- I need more fresh fruits and veggies.

You know what- They should have food education. Honestly. Think about it- spend a bit on educating the population that is on food stamps- people might be slightly more informed when they swipe that card.