Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account

[Music] How to go about starting to play drums?

I've been getting a bit bored lately and have been wanting to pick up another hobby outside of gaming and riding horses and since I've always loved music and admired everyone who could play instruments, I figured it would be amazing to learn how to play something as well. I decided that drums would be the best thing to start learning because I was a dancer for roughly 13 years (I'm 24 now) and keeping in the rythm was extremely important, especially for Tap, and they just hold me in awe when watching an experienced person play.

I have no idea where to begin though, which is why I'm asking you lovely gentlemen/ladies. Do I start by researching around my town (Sacramento, CA) to find a good place for lessons? How did you guys pick up on it?

10+ Year Old Account
    I actually learned to play all the instruments I know, including drums, while at college. I used to hang around the music building during my free time between classes and listen to them play. Since I know there has to be at least a few schools around Sacramento, try auditing a music class and making friends with the people that play. If you find someone you like, chances are they could use a few extra bucks if you're willing to pay for lessons. There are those that love music enough to do it for free.

Do you know how to read music at all? I never learned that aspect and just play by ear, but if you can read music, that would probably be a big help.

10+ Year Old Account
    First off, respect for horse riding! Amazing sport/hobby.

Second: finding a place for lessons is a very good way to get into it. Remember how you had to first learn to follow the rhythm of the horse before you could actually do the trot? Same goes for everything else. Get someone to teach you.
    Or you can just buy a set of drums. But that tends to suck because if you lose the love for it you're stuck with, well, a freaking set of drums :P

So lessons! Doesn't matter if it's good lessons or bad, just go there and see if you like it first.

Im currently self teaching myself to drum. Im now 22, but got a REAL kit back when I was 11, of course I didn't take it serious and I regret it SOOOOOOOOO much now. Tried picking it up again when I was about 14 or 15, but didnt stick. So really it all started when I was about 17. I was fortunate enough for my parents to go out and drop like 1300$ on an electric kit which I still use today (granted the bass pad is now worn out, and one of the cymbals is iffy). This is going to be my 5th year, but I had a little on/off with it (a good portion is when I broke my heel). If I could change ONE thing, it would be - Go to a teacher for drumming lessons. Im not sure how the count works in dancing...hell let alone in drumming, but a big thing is learning the mind f**k of doing one thing with one hand, another thing with the other hand, and using your feet.

Electric drums are very awesome to have for learning. Obviously wouldnt be as loud as actual drums, but people would still hear the thumping. I'm also able to plug in my iphone/ipod and play along with songs.

---------- Post added 2013-02-12 at 04:42 PM ----------

Oh... and lots of air-drumming

Quote Originally Posted by Regennis View Post
    Do you know how to read music at all? I never learned that aspect and just play by ear, but if you can read music, that would probably be a big help.
    HA! drummers reading music...that's funny! (j/k...kinda...most drummers i know can't read music to save their lives. p.s. I'm allowed to make fun of drummers because I am one. :P )

OP, first thing to do is:
    keep a straight beat on the high hat with your right hand (assuming you're right handed, otherwise reverse everything i say)
    1-2-3-4-1-2-3-4-1-2-3-4-1-2-3-4 (these are called quarter notes).
    once you can keep a straight beat (should be easy if you have rhythm already), then add in the kick drum with your right foot on 1 and 3
    then once you can do that solidly, add in the snare with the left hand on 2 and 4.
    (the idea here being to teach your feet and hands to work separately.)
    once you've mastered that, change the right hand to eight notes. (two notes where one used to be)
    1&2&3&4&1&2&3&4&1&2&3&4&1&2&3&4&
    Once you can do that forever, then change the kick on 3 to "3&" (i.e. two eighth notes instead of one quarter note...i know what you're thinking, and yes, all music is just fancy math!! heh heh)

the end result being this (skip to 1:15):

congrats, you can now play the drums! GO TO TOWN! lol

in all seriousness, lessons might help, but you could probably find videos on youtube that would help just as much and it's free!
    Last edited by Youvegotfail; 2013-02-13 at 06:01 AM.