10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    Most advanced nation? That's not related at all with population growth.
    Don't tell us, tell yourself;
    It's probably the single most valuable asset to a nation.

Funny though. You mentioned china, India and brazil. Countries that, thanks to the ability to create a flourishing internal market, once they set their things rights, skyrocketed ahead of all other developing countries
    And all of which are nations that still haven't caught up to 1960's era USA, which has had a lower population throughout that period.

It's almost like population and population growth AREN'T the most valuable assets a nation can have.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    That's not an argument. And even if it were, it would contradict your prior claim, since Europe's generally doing okay economically, a few nations aside. Definitely leagues better than, say, India.

"Population growth is never detrimental, except when it is."

It's not often you see doublethink expressed that blatantly.
    I'm not sure if you're being serious or what, not reading what i write or openly twisting my sentences, but you got me banned once with this attitude of yours and since you're on the same mood again ill just ignore you.

---------- Post added 2013-02-18 at 10:32 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    The places with high population growth rates are almost uniformly terrible places to live: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...on_growth_rate
    If you think it's population growth that causes problems there... you want to read a book about it.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not sure if you're being serious or what, not reading what i write or openly twisting my sentences, but you got me banned once with this attitude of yours and since you're on the same mood again ill just ignore you.
    I'm not entirely sure how directly quoting you saying "Population growth is never detrimental. Excessive population growth is detrimental," is twisting your sentences. It's very clear that you submitted two mutually exclusive statements.

If you think it's population growth that causes problems there... you want to read a book about it.
    India in particular has significant problems related to its population density.
    Last edited by Kasierith; 2013-02-18 at 10:35 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasierith View Post
    I'm not entirely sure how directly quoting you saying "Population growth is never detrimental. Excessive population growth is detrimental," is twisting your sentences. It's very clear that you submitted two mutually exclusive statements.
    Exactly my point. You can't say "population growth is never detrimental" (direct quote), and then provide a situation where it's detrimental. That's why I used "doublethink", since it's exactly what Orwell meant by that term.

How in the world did we go from you claiming that population growth is one of the strongest assets a nation can have to not being willing to defend population growth at all? I feel like you're saying things to hear yourself talk.

Deleted
    That means the population is increasing, albeit slowly.
    It's not sustainable. It is at 1 or 2%, I can't remember.

Quote Originally Posted by Bridgetjones View Post
    Fortunately, you have unique protection from discrimination in federal statute on the basis of disability; you also know that this obviously is not the same as actually being treated as equal in society. You also know that none of the discrimination you've faced has been because your were a straight white male. So I guess I don't see how your experience with discrimination supports what you said about men being discriminated against because they're men.

You're discriminated against because you're different. Different from what? And in that answer is exactly what I've been saying.
    Hold up there cowboy. Of course you refer to the ADA Americans with Disabilities Act. I would hardly call that some sort of unique protection. It means that an employer with more than 50 employees has to make reasonable accommodations in light of the disability. Hardly a protection. Nice try.

Being discriminated on the basis of a mental health or condition sucks and almost certainly means that he is not treated equally in society, despite the fact that his otherwise a white male. Still I think his point remains.

How in the world did we go from you claiming that population growth is one of the strongest assets a nation can have to not being willing to defend population growth at all? I feel like you're saying things to hear yourself talk.
    Because he turned this thread into a Gish Gallop.

Deleted

India in particular has significant problems related to its population density.
    Read his post again, then reply back to me thanks

10+ Year Old Account
    If it's positive, it's sustainable. That's what "sustainable" means; that more are being born than are dying, so the population is being sustained at the same level or increasing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Is it? I'll have to ask for a source from that one; "I can't remember" really doesn't do it for me. A country that retains population balance is, by definition, sustainable.

Deleted
    I don't know what you mean. You posted something I answered.

Quote Originally Posted by Woeful View Post
    Hold up there cowboy. Of course you refer to the ADA Americans with Disabilities Act. I would hardly call that some sort of unique protection. It means that an employer with more than 50 employees has to make reasonable accommodations in light of the disability. Hardly a protection. Nice try.

Being discriminated on the basis of a mental health or condition sucks and almost certainly means that he is not treated equally in society, despite the fact that his otherwise a white male. Still I think his point remains.
    You only had to read the the second line of my post you quoted. You didn't make it that far, did you?

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    It's because people generally let a few whackos represent an entire group; and this isn't just limited to feminism.
    I wish people would remember this ABSOLUTELY true comment when they talk about Christians, Democrats, Republicans, and every other mostly reasonable group; but they won't, I know that and it makes me sad every day.
    I think I've had enough of removing avatars today that feature girls covered in semen. Closing.
    -Darsithis

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Because he turned this thread into a Gish Gallop.
    Hey. If you don't want me to answer, don't reply. What's this now, a bit of manners.

If you don't want to get called out on this don't do it.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's indicative that he's pulling the "if you don't want me to answer, don't reply" stuff on some people, while also refusing to reply to me.

Still, we're sort of derailing this into things like population growth and the like, and should probably try and drag things back on-topic.

You're being disingenuous here; people express things on the internet that they think are true. Both quotes are examples of men that aren't real keen on the idea that women have bodily autonomy, or that consent is a relevant part of sex. Men like that have held and continue to hold political influence, particularly (but not exclusively) in the Republican Party. When misogyny stops being a thing, feminism can stop being a thing.
    I'm not keen on the idea of women getting to decide if men have to pay 18 years for a child that they want aborted. Women should keep their authority but not force men to pay. You are being disingenuous here.

Deleted
    "Get called out"?
    What do you mean?

"Get called out"?
    What do you mean?
    A Gish Gallop is when you throw out a constant stream of nonsense and don't actually defend any of it. You essentially just bury your opponent under so much BS he can't possibly wade through it all.