So Destiny 2 just went Pre-Order to win.
    https://www.gamespot.com/articles/de...source=twitter

Exotic items are the most desirable in Destiny--players will spend countless hours attempting to hunt them down. So it's perhaps a bit cruel--but certainly effective--that Activision is now offering up a guaranteed Exotic weapon in exchange for a Destiny 2 pre-order.

As featured in the trailer above, anyone who pre-orders the upcoming Bungie shooter will get their hands on Coldheart. This is an Exotic trace rifle, which is a new type of weapon in Destiny 2. It fires a constant beam in a straight line that deals damage to foes.

Thankfully for those who are uninterested in pre-ordering games, this won't be the only way to get the weapon. Fine print shown in the trailer notes that, while it will be available right at launch on consoles and PC, it can be "attained through gameplay" starting on December 5. It's unclear at what point you'll gain access to the weapon by pre-ordering; you presumably won't jump into the first level with one equipped.

Following an extension, the Destiny 2 beta wrapped up yesterday; it's been described as "amazingly helpful" for Bungie. The full game is slated for release on September 6 for PS4 and Xbox One, with the PC version following on October 24.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    This weapon type sounds like the new attck seen from the Minators. Im not a fan of those types as they are no fun to me. Also since it is not a pre-order exclusive, im not concerned with it.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    This weapon type sounds like the new attck seen from the Minators. Im not a fan of those types as they are no fun to me. Also since it is not a pre-order exclusive, im not concerned with it.
    Its still a weapon you get faster if you pre-order, I am 100% not ok with that.

Different strokes for different fokes I guess.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

Its funny i saw a bunch of articles before it saying "buzz for destiny 2 is far lower than the first and leaks suggest activision is worried" followed after this by "why arent more people mad about an exotic bonus?".

Setting aside the whole iron gjallarhon precedent for "its just a cosmetic version of an identical one with a different skin you get in game" i think the reason theres no complaining is also the reason why they are adding more preorder incentives: not enough interest/buzz online.

Personally everyone i know who cares about D2 is someone who played D1 past House of Wovles but thats still not even half and the rest have a "fool me once" mentality about it. The biggest traffic for the beta i saw was either dedicated destiny community people streaming to the 'locked in' sales and outside of that mainstream sites saying 'this beta is boring' and beyond that nothing.

Maybe its to do with all the stores going into panic mode and trying to stop people cancelling pre-orders post beta? if the beta was off putting for enough of the 'day one prepurchase get hype!' crowd that do that for every new AAA release to cancel in significant enough numbers that could be sending some warning signs that Destiny 2 is going to be less popular than the first?

Personally i never expected it to do the same numbers. Rise of Iron was apparently a microtransaction bonanza for activision when it introduced real money weapon skins but in terms of actual units sold only around 30% of the people who bought The Taken King bought Rise of Iron and only about a third of people who bought Destiny Bought The Taken King. Its a downward trend thats common for always online games designed around persistence over engagement. The Division, For Honor, Destiny itself Pre TTK and so on.

But i expect like a 40% player drop off tops. A lot of this is suggesting it might be a lot more. Unrelated to the quality of course but i could see it being another Andromeda in terms of making or breaking on press and word of mouth alone.

Quote Originally Posted by dope_danny View Post
    Its funny i saw a bunch of articles before it saying "buzz for destiny 2 is far lower than the first and leaks suggest activision is worried" followed after this by "why arent more people mad about an exotic bonus?".

Setting aside the whole iron gjallarhon precedent for "its just a cosmetic version of an identical one with a different skin you get in game" i think the reason theres no complaining is also the reason why they are adding more preorder incentives: not enough interest/buzz online.

Personally everyone i know who cares about D2 is someone who played D1 past House of Wovles but thats still not even half and the rest have a "fool me once" mentality about it. The biggest traffic for the beta i saw was either dedicated destiny community people streaming to the 'locked in' sales and outside of that mainstream sites saying 'this beta is boring' and beyond that nothing.

Maybe its to do with all the stores going into panic mode and trying to stop people cancelling pre-orders post beta? if the beta was off putting for enough of the 'day one prepurchase get hype!' crowd that do that for every new AAA release to cancel in significant enough numbers that could be sending some warning signs that Destiny 2 is going to be less popular than the first?

Personally i never expected it to do the same numbers. Rise of Iron was apparently a microtransaction bonanza for activision when it introduced real money weapon skins but in terms of actual units sold only around 30% of the people who bought The Taken King bought Rise of Iron and only about a third of people who bought Destiny Bought The Taken King. Its a downward trend thats common for always online games designed around persistence over engagement. The Division, For Honor, Destiny itself Pre TTK and so on.

But i expect like a 40% player drop off tops. A lot of this is suggesting it might be a lot more. Unrelated to the quality of course but i could see it being another Andromeda in terms of making or breaking on press and word of mouth alone.
    I don't disagree at all, It will be interesting seeing how well D2 sells.

Personally I won't have it day 1, There is many games around that time I rather get over it.

I don't disagree at all, It will be interesting seeing how well D2 sells.

Personally I won't have it day 1, There is many games around that time I rather get over it.
    I was given a preorder code for the digital as a gift, so i'm neither some guy with a chip on his shoulder nor do i have any monetary investment so its not like im wanting it to do badly. I just think its a case of 'the brand well being poisoned' and for the mainstream consumer the beta wasn't enough to wash off the stink so to speak of the first.

I mean shit even the ultimate bungie shills at rooster teeth made a bunch of 'i dont have time to explain why i dont have time to explain' comments about the game in their D2 video. That was "whats a paladin?" levels of 'shit the consumer wont forget'. Overcoming that has always been the games challenge and i dont know if it can.
    Which says nothing of quality of course. Titanfall 2 is one of the best first person shooters this console gen -especially the campaign- but it got forgotten because of the bad rep of its first game. I hope this games as good or better than TTK/ROI but i dont think this is going to be the mainstream sell the "hunt with the pack" marketing of D1 sold people on numbers wise.
    Last edited by dope_danny; 2017-07-26 at 09:06 PM.

I was given a preorder code for the digital as a gift, so i'm neither some guy with a chip on his shoulder nor do i have any monetary investment so its not like im wanting it to do badly. I just think its a case of 'the brand well being poisoned' and for the mainstream consumer the beta wasn't enough to wash off the stink so to speak of the first.

I mean shit even the ultimate bungie shills at rooster teeth made a bunch of 'i dont have time to explain why i dont have time to explain' comments about the game in their D2 video. That was "whats a paladin?" levels of 'shit the consumer wont forget'. Overcoming that has always been the games challenge and i dont know if it can.
    Which says nothing of quality of course. Titanfall 2 is one of the best first person shooters this console gen -especially the campaign- but it got forgotten because of the bad rep of its first game. I hope this games as good or better than TTK/ROI but i dont think this is going to be the mainstream sell the "hunt with the pack" marketing of D1 sold people on numbers wise.
    Once again I don't disagree at all (besides the Titanfall 2 part, That game died due to how it was released).

I like the concept of Destiny and even the lore behind it seems interesting. But if Bungie doesn't learn from the history of Destiny 1 they will repeat it and they won't be able to fix the damage.

The thing I question is, Is it Activision or Bungie that is making these choices.

Once again I don't disagree at all (besides the Titanfall 2 part, That game died due to how it was released).

I like the concept of Destiny and even the lore behind it seems interesting. But if Bungie doesn't learn from the history of Destiny 1 they will repeat it and they won't be able to fix the damage.

The thing I question is, Is it Activision or Bungie that is making these choices.
    I bought the complete collection for Destiny just after the most recent expansion was released and thoroughly enjoyed the PvE content. I stopped playing a bit and only poke my nose in every once and a while so don't really know the history of it. But what major bad thing happened with Destiny 1 that Destiny 2 absolutely must avoid?

Don't want to derail of anything so if you just want to provide a link to something, that's totally fine.

That said, if Destiny 2 is anything like Destiny 1 I'll definitely be getting it for PC.

Quote Originally Posted by Katchii View Post
    But what major bad thing happened with Destiny 1 that Destiny 2 absolutely must avoid?
    The reward system, The tuning and the lack of content.

Also this didn't help at all...
    http://kotaku.com/the-messy-true-sto...iny-1737556731

Getting loot before TTK came out was like pulling teeth.

The reward system, The tuning and the lack of content.

Also this didn't help at all...
    http://kotaku.com/the-messy-true-sto...iny-1737556731

Getting loot before TTK came out was like pulling teeth.
    Ah, yeah. That would be why I never experience the issues because I came in WAY late to the game after everything had been released an many of the issues fixed. I also didn't really find the story to be that bad. It did feel light, but what was there was fun when coupled with the gameplay.

10+ Year Old Account
    Can anyone with the PC beta tell me if you can disable the dark vignette filter ?

This may not be doable now since it's beta and settings could be locked, idk.

I'm pretty sure this laptop would melt just from the start menu.
    10850k (10c 20t) @ all-core 5GHz @ 1.250v | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra Gaming | 32GB DDR4 3200 | 1TB M.2 OS/Game SSD | 4TB 7200RPM Game HDD | 10TB 7200 RPM Storage HDD | ViewSonic XG2703-GS - 27" IPS 1440p 165Hz Native G-Sync | HP Reverb G2 VR Headset

Ah, yeah. That would be why I never experience the issues because I came in WAY late to the game after everything had been released an many of the issues fixed. I also didn't really find the story to be that bad. It did feel light, but what was there was fun when coupled with the gameplay.
    Ya TTK and ROI was improvements over a really bad system.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MrPaladinGuy View Post
    Can anyone with the PC beta tell me if you can disable the dark vignette filter ?

This may not be doable now since it's beta and settings could be locked, idk.
    There is no PC Beta at this time that is next month.

I bought the complete collection for Destiny just after the most recent expansion was released and thoroughly enjoyed the PvE content. I stopped playing a bit and only poke my nose in every once and a while so don't really know the history of it. But what major bad thing happened with Destiny 1 that Destiny 2 absolutely must avoid?
    Destiny was originally a game where you discover the Traveller is evil and only uplifts races to become its personal army till they turn on it and it flees to make another army. You would join a group called 'the crows' lead by the awoken queens brother as a group of guardians that killed their ghosts, gave up immortality and drove the traveller form earth so humanity would not spend the rest of existence living under its oppressive, all controlling influence both literally and figuratively.

There was massive problems in the development where activision "didn't get it" and wanted it changed for "wider mainstream appeal" and it was so late in the development they cut out the plot and didn't really add one back in. Just a series of 'we need to go here so the map unlocks' missions that didnt actually explain anything.

Remember the speaker saying "i could tell you", the stranger saying "i dont have time to explain why i dont have time to explain" and a very short trip across 4 'planets' leading to killing 3 bullet sponges to kill a glowing black thing and getting a cutscene?

THAT WAS THE END OF THE GAME AT LAUNCH. REALLY.

Then the dlc came out and the beta players that bugged into areas went "hang on, this wasnt just on the retail disc at launch, this was IN the beta" and it would later turn out it was indeed cut to be sold later. If you go what the original destiny montage footage you can clearly see oryx's dreadnaught years before Destiny released let alone The Taken King.

Needless to say the reviews were not kind, and why would they be? People were promised a 'ten year plan to rival lord of the rings and star wars' and got halo reach meets diablo 3. Not a bad game to play, but in terms of a sweeping, epic story it was almost as bad as Dragon Age 2. That much of a mess.

and you only get one chance to make a first impression. One the collection makes faaar better than vanilla did. Not unlike Diablo 3 really, and the D3 team was brought over for TTK to help save it.

Destiny was originally a game where you discover the Traveller is evil and only uplifts races to become its personal army till they turn on it and it flees to make another army. You would join a group called 'the crows' lead by the awoken queens brother as a group of guardians that killed their ghosts, gave up immortality and drove the traveller form earth so humanity would not spend the rest of existence living under its oppressive, all controlling influence both literally and figuratively.

There was massive problems in the development where activision "didn't get it" and wanted it changed for "wider mainstream appeal" and it was so late in the development they cut out the plot and didn't really add one back in. Just a series of 'we need to go here so the map unlocks' missions that didnt actually explain anything.

Remember the speaker saying "i could tell you", the stranger saying "i dont have time to explain why i dont have time to explain" and a very short trip across 4 'planets' leading to killing 3 bullet sponges to kill a glowing black thing and getting a cutscene?

THAT WAS THE END OF THE GAME AT LAUNCH. REALLY.

Then the dlc came out and the beta players that bugged into areas went "hang on, this wasnt just on the retail disc at launch, this was IN the beta" and it would later turn out it was indeed cut to be sold later. If you go what the original destiny montage footage you can clearly see oryx's dreadnaught years before Destiny released let alone The Taken King.

Needless to say the reviews were not kind, and why would they be? People were promised a 'ten year plan to rival lord of the rings and star wars' and got halo reach meets diablo 3. Not a bad game to play, but in terms of a sweeping, epic story it was almost as bad as Dragon Age 2. That much of a mess.

and you only get one chance to make a first impression. One the collection makes faaar better than vanilla did. Not unlike Diablo 3 really, and the D3 team was brought over for TTK to help save it.
    Yeah, had I played at launch with JUST that much in there, I highly doubt anything would have been enough to get me to play it again, especially given how much of a side hobby the game is to me already. As it is now, the amount of content and the quality of the story that is there is enough to keep me intrigued. I'll admit though, I'm a sucker for a good quality FPS with a decent story. The Halo series is one of my favorite franchises of all time simply because of how fun it is to go shooting stuff and have a legitimate and interesting reason to do so. Destiny did always seem to have at least the FPS mechanics down pretty solid.

It's like Zaryas gun and she's my main, so I like that preorder bonus lol

Maybe no one is complaining about the exotic because not only do we not have the stats but we also have nothing to compare it too. This could be the best weapon in the game or it could be like any other exotic and just be better in some situations compared to others. It just isn't a big deal.

Honestly I hate how Bungie is marketing this game, they are basically keeping everything a secret instead of hyping the hell out of it. They are clearly wanting to surprise existing Destiny fans who are gonna buy it Day 1 (guilty) and then just rely on word of mouth. Course I suppose this saves them money in the long run.

Deleted
    To be honest, I really liked Destiny 1 up until 'Rise of Iron' then I lost interest, because whereas TTK increased the level cap, introduced Swords, a new patrol area, new sub-classes, etc. etc. RoI felt so much like a 'We have to give them something as D2 has been delayed until next year!' with a new social space, a couple(?) of new strikes, & a few other regular bits & bobs, it just didn't do enough quickly enough. If it launched with the score-attack stuff & Age of Triumph with old raids brought forward it might have held my attention, but then people would have screamed re-hash.

regardless, I am looking forward to D2 quite a bit.

RoI was filler but i really liked the whole SIVA art style and the extra warmind story. The second expansion icon for D2 being Rasputins warmind bunker along with a part of the nessus story involving a crashed russian ship carrying a shipment of siva has me hopeful its continued along with the cabal stuff. If only because the cabal being another videogame 'evil empire' in gas masks with a roman influence isn't really the most interesting enemy of the lot.

But can't ride the Hive, Vex and Fallen forever.

Though i hope the Warmind expansion introduces the 'army of metal men' under Rasputins control mentioned in Rise of Iron by Saladin.

If they remember that line :/

Yeah I admit I didn't play a lot of ROI but I thought a lot of it was cool. It definitely wasn't as big as Taken King but considering it was just something they quickly threw together it was pretty awesome.

As for the races maybe there will be some new stuff that we haven't seen I mean they did add those ships and dog enemies so I wouldn't be surprised if there are other new enemies they are keeping secret because Bungie doesn't seem to want to spoil the "surprise" for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by everydaygamer View Post
    Yeah I admit I didn't play a lot of ROI but I thought a lot of it was cool. It definitely wasn't as big as Taken King but considering it was just something they quickly threw together it was pretty awesome.

As for the races maybe there will be some new stuff that we haven't seen I mean they did add those ships and dog enemies so I wouldn't be surprised if there are other new enemies they are keeping secret because Bungie doesn't seem to want to spoil the "surprise" for some reason.
    Even the old enemies play differently. Seeing a vandal crawl across the floor or a captain move at super human speeds repeatedly instead of just teleporting once was pretty slick in the beta.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15