Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Godavari View Post
    since you are american i assume you are talking about stuff like doctorates or even masters?
    coz here as an undergraduate it doesnt happen to me.
    Undergrads as well. Our final year we have a capstone project and we make a big project that takes roughly the whole year to do some are pretty good.

You gave me your paper. I give you grade! IT'S MINE NOW!!!

Time to go publish this work as my own and make big money!!

10+ Year Old Account
    How could a school copyright something it did not create? Obviously the school system isn't a single person, but no one involved had any part in the creation of said work. Also how could they require students parents and teachers to give the school rights over their work?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkenaw View Post
    Can anyone explain why this matters? I didn't exactly right Shakespear on my english homework.
    Neither did I, but let's some some school has very talented students which they would abuse for some money.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Are you fucking kidding me? This is a bit ridiculous. And why? What sort of "profit" are they protecting? I don't even get the point of this bill. And why would anything a child makes belong to the school? It belongs to the CREATOR of the content, not the administrators of the school.

What is going on with our copyrigth system?
    It is to protect the schools interest and protect them when using or displaying work created by Students. They are only trying to protect things created for the school, and not everything ever created by the anyone related to the school. Its a way to protect themselves if they use a Students Artwork that was created for an Art show or class project in a flyer or pamphlet to advertise for the school or district. So the student couldn't then sue for part of the proceeds or other compensation for such a use.

It is really nothing new or shocking as all of that has been implied for years. The problem is implied just isn't good enough in the world we live in today and you have to get legal protection so you don't open yourself up to potential lawsuits.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Quote Originally Posted by Kyocere View Post
    How could a school copyright something it did not create? Obviously the school system isn't a single person, but no one involved had any part in the creation of said work. Also how could they require students parents and teachers to give the school rights over their work?
    Well I can see teachers' work being able to be copyrighted by the school since they are employees of the school the same way employees of a business work for the business and their work is patented for the business that pays them to make it. They dont really have any right to copyright students work though. If they want they could buy it from the student and then copyright it but technically the student works for himself. Copyrighting students work is close to slavery since you can make them write anything you want because their grades depend on it and not pay them anything. The only reason its not slavery is because you can leave the school although some people dont have that opportunity.

From what I understand from the article it seems that this is an attempt to make money from teacher and student work. The school wants to be able to sell these materials to other schools or businesses that want to use them in their curriculum.

---------- Post added 2013-02-15 at 06:54 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    It is to protect the schools interest and protect them when using or displaying work created by Students. They are only trying to protect things created for the school, and not everything ever created by the anyone related to the school. Its a way to protect themselves if they use a Students Artwork that was created for an Art show or class project in a flyer or pamphlet to advertise for the school or district. So the student couldn't then sue for part of the proceeds or other compensation for such a use.

It is really nothing new or shocking as all of that has been implied for years. The problem is implied just isn't good enough in the world we live in today and you have to get legal protection so you don't open yourself up to potential lawsuits.
    Theres a difference between using someones work and copyrighting it. When you copyright it you are saying that the student that created it is not allowed to use it unless the school approves it. If the school just reprints a students picture on a pamphlet, the kid can still use it wherever and copyright it for himself if he wants.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Prokne View Post
    Theres a difference between using someones work and copyrighting it. When you copyright it you are saying that the student that created it is not allowed to use it unless the school approves it. If the school just reprints a students picture on a pamphlet, the kid can still use it wherever and copyright it for himself if he wants.
    But if the student copyrights it the school then can't use it without permission. This isn't just about anything a student creates but anything a student creates specifically for the school/district. This is why every university has agreements in place for how a Students work is handled. The thing is that for most of the modern area work stayed at the school and only locally.

But with the increase of technology and more and more schools using technology based lessons and other teaching devices such things are no longer guaranteed to just be contained to the school. Whats to stop another school district from using the work and profiting from it when it is shared via such a thing?
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."