Thread: [TV] Vikings

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Oh! Horik I is in the next episode! The same Horik who massacred all of Ragnar's followers after his death. FUN.

Oh yes, and it probably means Louis the Pious will show up eventually. As well as Saint Ansgar.

The priest's look in last night's episode reminded me a lot of Madsen's portrayal of Loki.

Bread is the paper of the food industry.
    You write your sandwich on it.

Old God
    I swear that dude that plays Ragnar could be Sebastian Larssons brother or cousin. They look so much like eachother at times!

The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by NatePsychotic View Post
    I love how Ragnar always smiles in the most serious of moments
    Each battle or moment that could lead to battle is a chance to reach Valhalla! Of course he should smile!

I love this show.

Donal Logue out of fuckin nowhere
    Max Amann is the original Grammar Nazi.
    On Parole from Retard Rehabilitation since August 11, 2014.
    Quote Originally Posted by Helden View Post
    Tradewind isn't helping.

The last episode make it really hard to have any sympathy for Ragnar, wanting to sacrifice the monk who saved hes life when he was wounded and fished him out of the water. And whats worse, he wanted to do it behind hes back, lure him there and then betray him. Then, when he was praying, maybe I understood it wrong but didn't he ask who will deliver him hes sons? As in contemplating to leave hes wife. Besides, he already had a son.

Maybe some of the bad things they did back then were cultural and they just didnt see it as wrong but Im pretty sure betrayal and cheating was actually regarded as something negative or even criminal among the vikings.

Quote Originally Posted by Lizbeth View Post
    Maybe some of the bad things they did back then were cultural and they just didnt see it as wrong but Im pretty sure betrayal and cheating was actually regarded as something negative or even criminal among the vikings.
    Not really, betrayal was not at all uncommon...the degree of negativity directed towards it more depends on who you betray and the circumstances of the betrayal, rather than that you betrayed them.

Ah, to have a full head of hair that I could shave off in strange and savage 'dos. But seriously, the hairstyles are one of my favorite things about this show. Alas, I have gone bald.

Loving Vikings and super psyched that they renewed it for a second season.

it's renewed for a second season? awesome - have been thoroughly enjoying this show, have always loved the history of vikings and this show has just brought it all to life.
    <insert witty signature here>

The last episode make it really hard to have any sympathy for Ragnar, wanting to sacrifice the monk who saved hes life when he was wounded and fished him out of the water. And whats worse, he wanted to do it behind hes back, lure him there and then betray him. Then, when he was praying, maybe I understood it wrong but didn't he ask who will deliver him hes sons? As in contemplating to leave hes wife. Besides, he already had a son.

It most definitely was cultural differences. The other sacrifices were willing. Really though, Ragnar could have done whatever he wanted with his priest slave and that dude knows it. Ragnar did not force the issue, and I think that was sort of desperate at the time. I also do not think that we are really able to view it and understand it the same way that they did.

I like that about the show. It is really trying to show us another culture. Personally, I think cultural differences are super cool.

But all of that is one of the reasons why he's so awesome!

Anyway, in the saga, Ragnar had multiple wives. He can do whatever the hell he wants.
    Last edited by Frostbane; 2013-04-24 at 04:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbane View Post
    But all of that is one of the reasons why he's so awesome!

Anyway, in the saga, Ragnar had multiple wives. He can do whatever the hell he wants.
    What you call awesome is what I call a douchbag. The show is great though, can't blame them for being historically accurate and for not making a hero out of someone who really wasn't one so it's still a show about the bad guys.

But if it actually is historically accurate, how are they even able to survive like that? Disease, cold.. then all those who die in the raids and they raided many times a year and on top of that, killing each other and human sacrifices too? I think it was actually much more rare than shown in the show.

But if it actually is historically accurate, how are they even able to survive like that? Disease, cold.. then all those who die in the raids and they raided many times a year and on top of that, killing each other and human sacrifices too? I think it was actually much more rare than shown in the show.
    What? The raids or the sacrifice?

Quote Originally Posted by Roose View Post
    It most definitely was cultural differences. The other sacrifices were willing. Really though, Ragnar could have done whatever he wanted with his priest slave and that dude knows it. Ragnar did not force the issue, and I think that was sort of desperate at the time. I also do not think that we are really able to view it and understand it the same way that they did.

I like that about the show. It is really trying to show us another culture. Personally, I think cultural differences are super cool.
    Yeah, definitely. You have to realize that Ragnar was giving the priest the highest praise here, as the replacement for him volunteered before 'someone else could steal the honor'.

Brought Ragnar's son's comment back to mind, "It's only death."

Oh, why Leif? The world yet has need of him. The world needs him to snap the armoured necks of Saxons with HIS BARE FUCKING HANDS.

Oh well. For a Northman, death is never bitter. He's with Erik and Tostig now, drinking mead at Odin's right hand.

The death of Vladimir Kulich was the saddest one for me... Sigh. They really need to stop killing all the vikings I love.
    I'd be more fine with them killing Ragnar's son.

Quote Originally Posted by Everything Nice View Post
    The death of Vladimir Kulich was the saddest one for me... Sigh. They really need to stop killing all the vikings I love.
    I'd be more fine with them killing Ragnar's son.
    Believe me, no one mourned Vladimir Kulich more than I did. He's such a phenomenal actor; and the show has really lost from his departure.

And Bjorn can't die yet! He has to grow up and become Bjorn Jarnsida and avenge Ragnar's death at Aella's hand. But seriously, what do people have against him? I think the child actor doing him is wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by Frostbane View Post
    Believe me, no one mourned Vladimir Kulich more than I did. He's such a phenomenal actor; and the show has really lost from his departure.
    I don't mind if it's some random viking extra, but Kulich is an actual actor, and a good one! Plus, I loved him in 13th Warrior. There's so much they could've used him for and instead they just toss him aside for nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Everything Nice View Post
    I don't mind if it's some random viking extra, but Kulich is an actual actor, and a great one! Plus, I loved him in 13th Warrior. There's so much they could've used him for and instead they just toss him aside for nothing
    I agree. They could have done so much with him. His was a charisma unmatched by any of the other actors.

Kulich played the leader of a band of Danish mercenaries in the movie "Ironclad", which was pretty cool. But he died there too. And he died in 13th Warrior. And in Vikings. Okay, in both movies it was near the end at least, but can't the poor guy get a role where he LIVES?