Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    If it ends up being really good it will get the attention it deserves kinda of like how Monster Hunter got so popular, there's next to no advertising it is all word of mouth marketing and its one of the biggest selling games in Japan. Also housing is going to make it a very interesting game, I really hope I get into the beta and I will make some youtube videos about it.
    Monster hunter tri was advertised all over the place, not sure if youre talking about past monster hunters. Wildstar will ramp up the marketing nearer release as with every other big mmo release, right now its just hyping itself up with word of mouth. Housing is always an interesting mechanic, its certainly one stand out feature that will grab the interest of potential players, however I really dont agree with the developers that this will be the biggest game on the plantet, its going to do well but it will sit just above swtor and just below GW2 is my prediction. Thats still a big mmo by any standards.

My money is on Wildstar atm. Game looks like a blast. The combat from what i have seen looks like a hybrid of Teras free aim and wows style combat with all the fluidity and responsiveness. The housing is a huge draw and then the warplots, aka customizeable battle fields designed by the player, are something very few mmo's do and even fewer have managed to pull off well. So hopefully everything comes out nice.

Elder scrolls online sounds cool in concept but all the fun stuff about the elder scrolls single player games probably wont work well in an mmo environment and get cut in my opinion so I am only barely looking at it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tea View Post
    If you are hoping for some new upcoming game to drag 10millon+ subs I hate to break it to you but it wont be anything like that the next upcoming years.
    And if that wont happen, how would you define the next big one to be?
    League of Legends.

It's not technically an MMORPG, so doesn't occupy exactly the same niche, but last I saw it was at over 30 million registered players. (And it's not like WoW pays more than lip-service to the RPG element anymore anway - I don't know what the difference is between playing LoL, and sitting in a BG or Arena queue in Org or Pandaria, but I suspect it's not that much.) I don't think anything is going to out-WoW WoW; what's going to kill it is something completely outside the traditional MMO box, something like an order of magnitude better version of Second Life, some augmented reality game using Google Glass, or an actually successful merge of tabletop RPG with online MMO gaming.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    League of Legends.

It's not technically an MMORPG, so doesn't occupy exactly the same niche, but last I saw it was at over 30 million registered players. (And it's not like WoW pays more than lip-service to the RPG element anymore anway - I don't know what the difference is between playing LoL, and sitting in a BG or Arena queue in Org or Pandaria, but I suspect it's not that much.) I don't think anything is going to out-WoW WoW; what's going to kill it is something completely outside the traditional MMO box, something like an order of magnitude better version of Second Life, some augmented reality game using Google Glass, or an actually successful merge of tabletop RPG with online MMO gaming.
    Cant stand it when people compare wow to lol. Two completely different types of game in all the ways. Just stop comparing them thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by saltyharbls View Post
    Cant stand it when people compare wow to lol. Two completely different types of game in all the ways. Just stop comparing them thank you.
    Indeed comparing a game like lol to wow is like saying Call of duty is like wow because it has pvp content. There are a lot of online games but just because a game is online does not make it an MMO. When people talk MMO they want a world to explore meet npcs, do epic quests, slay internet dragons, and be the hero then go beat the bejesus out of the nearest hero. There is a lot more then just queing for arena and bgs that goes into an MMO and that is the key difference to one of those games like LoL.

Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Monster hunter tri was advertised all over the place, not sure if youre talking about past monster hunters. Wildstar will ramp up the marketing nearer release as with every other big mmo release, right now its just hyping itself up with word of mouth. Housing is always an interesting mechanic, its certainly one stand out feature that will grab the interest of potential players, however I really dont agree with the developers that this will be the biggest game on the plantet, its going to do well but it will sit just above swtor and just below GW2 is my prediction. Thats still a big mmo by any standards.
    I just hope it as at least as fun and addicting as wow. If it can get the combat just right I think it will be a good contender. So far the animations are fluid and beautiful.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'd say they're both comparable as being the dominant game in their genre, World of Warcraft for MMOs and League of Legends for dotalikes and they both were spawned from Warcraft 3. Beyond that not much though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Ah but others believed it was some maniacal plan for world domination instead of just a marketing tag. Pathetic.
    No one said it was a maniacal plan... Fact is they went after wow. They may not have wanted to kill wow, but they wanted a good chunk of it. And lets be honest they did want to kill wow. Every new mmo wants to kill wow.

Everquest Next.

If they are using the same devs that Verant used the game will be awesome. I also heard they are taking advice from players. Now why WoW players might go "OMG dont listen to the players they will ruin the game" Remember Everquest has one of the best communities of any MMO ever made. Most of their current players have been playing for 8+ years so they know whats good for the game. Also for the most part they arent a bunch of QQers that want free gear and faceroll content.

Does anyone even play UO anymore? That was big back in the day...now what is?

10+ Year Old Account
    ESO could be huge if it's done right. And there's always Titan... except we don't know jack shit about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Elder Scrolls Online looks to be "the big one" by all accounts. Massive budget, AAA production, well known brand, aimed at the mass market...
    Albeit ESO is a completely different game... isn't this description the same to describe how SWTOR was? Look how that turned out. That game should seriously be removed from the shelves and everyone who had a part in making the game how it turned out should be fired and blacklisted from working in the gaming industry ever again.
    A troll is a troll and a roll is a roll, and if we feed them trolls then we don't eat no rolls.

Quote Originally Posted by halleyk314 View Post
    Does anyone even play UO anymore? That was big back in the day...now what is?
    I still dabble with freeshards and my brother and I still hold one active account. Mostly him playing though 99% of the time.

Your name seems strangely familiar >.<

Quote Originally Posted by Jewster925 View Post
    Albeit ESO is a completely different game... isn't this description the same to describe how SWTOR was? Look how that turned out. That game should seriously be removed from the shelves and everyone who had a part in making the game how it turned out should be fired and blacklisted from working in the gaming industry ever again.
    Yes. And SWTOR was the "next big MMO" at that time.

"Next Big MMO" has nothing to do with being the "Next Great MMO".

Regardless of the quality of TESO [when eventually released] at the present time is definitively the "Next Big MMO". Brand, developer, publisher production quality, industry buzz and raw cash make it so. Until we hear/see an MMO with a larger budget and published by a larger publisher/developer before release- TESO is it.

Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    League of Legends.

Ill help you catch up, we are talking about mmo's not moba's.

World of Warcraft was the perfect storm so to speak, I doubt we will ever see another mmo have the success that Blizzard has with wow. The community is just to fickle and casual based to really get that success again. What I mean by casual based is that most players want close to instant gratification with new games. A lot of the "old school" players can relate I guess. A few examples are swg and being a full on jedi, flying your first titan class ship in eve, or getting lvl cap and reaching your first AA benchmark in eq or finally getting "the" cloak etc.
    Today if you cant be raid ready in a month tops the game "sucks" and made for the poop socker hardcore's I quit bs. I think thats why moba's are so huge, ftp and you can sit down for 20 minutes or 8 hours and you get the same kind of satisfaction.

I think for me and a fairly good number of gamers that like mmo's, it would be nice to have a game that isn't complete lawlmode for 90% of the game. That's probably why so many people play the vanilla wow or eq1 emu servers or maybe why eve's population has been stable for so many years. I also think that even a casual gamer with limited time would really enjoy something fresh that isnt instant gratification as long as the gameplay, mechanics, and enough options to play as you like is there.[COLOR="red"]
    Last edited by Gsara; 2013-03-05 at 10:07 PM.