Page 9 of 30 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    League of Legends
    Halo series
    Call of Duty series (at least WaW and forward)

Quote Originally Posted by cityguy193 View Post
    Its like people have different interests.
    Normally when I don't like a game, I can still maintain enough objectivity to understand why others would like it.

Mobas I just don't get. I mean as far as I can tell you level your character from lvl1 in every game, by 'killing creep', which seems to amount up to grinding levels by killing trash. The team that levels up faster, wins. Your character has four skills and you buy the same items practically every time. And then you repeat this over and over and over again, on the same map. Because the games last pretty long and there's barely ever any late game comebacks (as the level advantage starts snowballing, it's almost impossible to catch up), there's plenty of time to either AFK or yell at your team how bad they are.

So yeah, looking at the design, it's hard to figure out what's the draw here.

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    Any MMO release except WoW was overhyped because everyone hoped it would kill WoW.
    Half Life 1 - Such praise on the interwebz, yet the game it utterly boring to me.
    That might be an explanation. Having played HL² and going back to see HL1 was probably not a good idea.
    yeah that explains a lot, just think that the best games before were golden eye, the original Rainbow Six, quake2 and ... virtual cop :P

HL1/warcraft1/starcraft1/diablo1 were really revolutionary games that are called overhyped on this thread but are hard to measure without considering the times they came up...

15+ Year Old Account
    Dragon Age

Deleted
    SWTOR
    Journey
    Dishonored
    Guild Wars 2

That's my list, at least.

10+ Year Old Account
    HL1/warcraft1/starcraft1/diablo1 were really revolutionary games that are called overhyped on this thread but are hard to measure without considering the times they came up...
    One does not simply.... overrate Starcraft I.

Well lots of the judgments here are only personal preference.
    If people don't like a genre and see the hype -> automatically overhyped/overrated.

To be objective you'd actually have to look at sales numbers and compare them to the hype, so you can see what games flopped.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashaela View Post
    SWTOR
    Journey
    Dishonored
    Guild Wars 2

That's my list, at least.
    Why is GW2 overrated? I just bought it and it's fun up to now.

If it's because it looks like GW1 then the only thing I can say is that you shouldn't play sequals too much. That's the problem with WoW for me. They say expansions but they look more like sequals, the game changed too much for it to be called just an expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyHellfire View Post
    Diablo 3 is highly underrated.

Meaning, it's a much, much better game than people make it out to be. To be honest, I still haven't understood why it's supposed to be that bad. Never heard one valid argument to this day. I thought it was a blast to play and the art style is great.
    Not randomized maps killed it for me. Read somewhere under 20% of the game is randomized mapwise.

Stoped playing after about 1000 hours and honestly i think the game is bad for more than that one reason. Some might say "... but, but, but ... 1000 hours ... gamme cannot be bad". Well i hoped for its potential and it deffinitely got some but its feels worse than playing Diablo 2 without LoD.

Maybe D3 will be cool in 1 or 2 expansions but i doubt it because i am not willing to run the EXACT SAME stonefort the 400th time.

10+ Year Old Account
    before its release, many misguided people talked about it as the "messiah of the MMO world that will revolutionize everything!111".

Maybe that's what he is referring to?
    Imho it gets boring after a month.

Quote Originally Posted by -Ethos- View Post
    FF7, come at me!
    this so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryme View Post
    Um, because people over rate them? You said it yourself, they're basic games, but people lord them up to be more than they're worth.

Overrated: To overestimate the merits of; rate too highly.

Hope this helps you!
    But nobody really said anything but that? I've never experienced that thought.

Come on guys, so many shitty postes inn this thread so fast. Overrated = bad? Hell no.

I would say Rift. They hyped the game, and made it seem different, but the core-design from back when I tried it, was basicly an updated wow. Sure it had its great things, but overall it feelt like wow way to much.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

Quote Originally Posted by elderamy View Post
    I don't know if I'd call Warcraft 1 very revolutionary, I believe the only thing it added to Dune 2 was the ability to select four units at a time.

But yeah, it's hard to appreciate a classic without knowing other games of the same era. Half-Life might not be much by modern standards, but if all the FPS games you'd ever played before it were Doom, Quake or Duke Nukem 3D, it was the best thing since sliced bread.

Deleted
    wow
    diablo3
    titan?

Quote Originally Posted by Sanitius View Post
    Not randomized maps killed it for me. Read somewhere under 20% of the game is randomized mapwise.

Stoped playing after about 1000 hours and honestly i think the game is bad for more than that one reason. Some might say "... but, but, but ... 1000 hours ... gamme cannot be bad". Well i hoped for its potential and it deffinitely got some but its feels worse than playing Diablo 2 without LoD.

Maybe D3 will be cool in 1 or 2 expansions but i doubt it because i am not willing to run the EXACT SAME stonefort the 400th time.
    It's not a bad game, period. I hope we do all know what the term actually means, of course.

Deleted
    if something is over-rated it doesn't mean its a bad game..
    i think gw2 is over-rated but it's still a great game and i love it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilian View Post

If it's because it looks like GW1 then the only thing I can say is that you shouldn't play sequals too much. That's the problem with WoW for me. They say expansions but they look more like sequals, the game changed too much for it to be called just an expansion.
    GW2 was/is hailed as the second coming amongst MMO's, pretty much. The game is good, but it's not as good as people make it out to be.
    The list is just my personal opinion and I don't think Guild Wars 2 is anywhere near as amazing as people try to convince me it is.

10+ Year Old Account
    wow
    first person shooters (cod, bf etc)
    portal, its good but i played it in about 5 hours and never touched it again, yet some people claim its the best game ever.

Its all just personal taste though, the final fantasy series is by far my favourite game series but thats probably just because of when i started playing them. If i was brought up playing fps games id probably love cod etc.

Call of Duty(i don't understand why there was/is such a hype)
    Skyrim(i personally didn't like it and i think it's overrated)

Deleted
    Angry birds... its just bad