Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by rhorle View Post
    A phone number is necessary for many thing in modern society. A lot of people don't have a land line which means the only way they can communicate with work, school, relatives, doctors, or anything else is through the use of a cell phone. Like I said a phone is required and a land line or a cell phone can track you the same. But you are still trying an argument that was never being made in the first place, for what reason I'm not sure.

Wait, now you are saying it wouldn't improve anything? Instantaneous record keeping in a digital format that anyone with access to the data can query at will is an improvement. You'd have a hard time proving otherwise with actual facts rather then opinion and "No its not". The question I asked you is why is RFID bad if it does the same thing a teacher does now? That doesn't ask who is better or ask you to determine who is better.

Why is RFID bad if it does what Teachers already do every day?
    A lot of people don't have land lines by choice, because they would rather have a cell phone? Okay. A cell phone is not required.

I answered your question. Why implement a system, if it doesn't actually improve anything. If this is only about truancy, instant record keeping doesn't matter. RFID is bad because it will cost money to replace a system that worked perfectly fine. Teachers calling attendance isn't why truancy happens. It doesn't enable truancy, or help it in any way. If you think truancy is a problem, then look at the real issues: Those that do it(Students), those that don't care(Parents), or those that don't reinforce rules against it(the school board).

This would just be an undue burden on students. I don't remember that whole article, but I'm not sure would would pay for those badges, who would pay for replacements etc etc etc. If student A has never been truant, why should they have to carry a special ID around? If student B is truant twice a week every week, why isn't he punished?

---------- Post added 2013-03-06 at 01:00 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    change for the sake of change isnt always a good thing. if it isnt broken dont fix it.
    Thats what I think as well. I just don't see this as actually fixing any problems. The only one being something brought up a long time ago: If there is a school emergency, this system MIGHT help with locating them.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonpartyfan View Post
    This would just be an undue burden on students. I don't remember that whole article, but I'm not sure would would pay for those badges, who would pay for replacements etc etc etc. If student A has never been truant, why should they have to carry a special ID around? If student B is truant twice a week every week, why isn't he punished?
    What burden is there? A student is already required to show up for class and answer a teacher when they call attendance. A student is already required to have a Student ID on them when ever they are on school property. There is nothing extra a student has to do because there is now a RFID in the student ID. Everything is handled by the RFID system.

Student A has to carry one around for the same reason he would have to carry one around if the RFID system wasn't in place. Student A would have to carry one around for the same reason why he still has to answer Attendance calls. Student B is punished. RFID isn't in replacement of punishment or a form of punishment. Why are you implying that a truant student wouldn't be punished? It shows an ignorance of the RFID system and what it all entails.

Also you keep ignoring the Cell Phone badge relationship. The RFID badge is optional. Cell phones aren't as optional as you want to claim since people need contact information and a land line isn't always an option or practical (or is more expensive). But that all ignores the reason for me mentioning cell phones. That reason was being irrationally afraid of tracking (which RFID doesn't do anymore then any other system already in place in schools).
    Last edited by rhorle; 2013-03-06 at 08:04 PM.
    "Man is his own star. His acts are his angels, good or ill, While his fatal shadows walk silently beside him."-Rhyme of the Primeval Paradine AFC 54
    You know a community is bad when moderators lock a thread because "...this isnt the place to talk about it either seeing as it will get trolled..."

Same reason i don't have a FB, at least I can't get in trouble for that... yet.