Page 1 of 2
LastLast

"Pandaria Thus Far..."

Scene:
    After approaching a new land unknown to the races of Azeroth in search for the king's missing son, a battle ensues and blood is shed on the shores of the Jade Forest. We are ordered to kill unarmed soldiers in cold blood, and it is this that first introduces us to the Sha. Living embodiments of our most negative emotions that find a way into our hearts and corrupt even the most noble of our races.

Flash forward, we've uncovered the Mogu and Zandalari plot to resurrect the fallen Thunder King. A malevolent force of evil that once enslaved and brutalized the races of Pandaria for countless generations. However we fail to interrupt the soul binding ritual and the tormentor returns to the physical realm. We delve into the ancient Mogu vaults to discover a horrible secret. A TITAN made machine rests under the mountains of Kun Lai, one that has only one purpose, to forge an army of the stone warriors. Upon stopping the machine, Cho addresses the elephant in the massive chamber... How many more exist?

Our attention is turned to the Yaungol's brutal invasion and the purpose behind it. After the slaughter of farmers and the incineration of their land we travel beyond the Serpants Spine with the militaristic Shado Pan in order to discover the cause of the invasion. Into the Townlong Steppes we march, lovers are torn apart by death and lives are lost by battles driven by FEAR and HATRED. Yaungol strike from the north whilst the Mantid swarm from the south in terrifying numbers. The Shado Pan is stretched thin and barely manages to reach Niuzao's temple and gain a foothold in the steppes.

Finally we look south, to the Dread Wastes, where the Mantid are in full force striking at the wall with fierce determination. The Klaxxi show us that there is a culture, one built upon the foundations of an OLD GOD, that inhabits the wastes. One that periodically sends the waves of young over the wall for the Pandaren warriors to slaughter, only the strong intended to return. This ancient race however has been influenced by the very essence of FEAR, who retreats to a place of unimaginable power after the Grand Empress is slain.

Upon the terrace, a wellspring of mystical waters that could influence the very balance of Azeroth, FEAR draws power. He has corrupted the guardians, turning them against the heroes that desperately try and stop him.

All the while WRATHION, last son of DEATHWING, reveals that a darkness approaches Azeroth... His vague descriptions and the green hellfire revealed could mean anything. This warrior has a sinking feeling SARGERAS is returning to the world where his power was taken by the last guardian of tirisfal...

Wrathion urges us to finish this war quickly, and unite Azeroth as a whole... However on the southern shores of Krasarang the Alliance and Horde wage a continuous war that threatens to tear Pandaria apart. The war escalates, the Sun Reavers are slaughtered in Dalaran as Jaina turnes a blind eye, Anduin is nearly killed by Garrosh's foolheardy use of the Divine Bell, and the son of the heroic Grom Hellscream slips futher into his bloodthirst...

However MoP is 4 kidz and farmville and kung fu pandaz are for 12 year olds.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7923724130

I thought this was a wonderful summery of the expansion that I had to share it.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

I thought it was pretty good. I have compared the main plot of the game to be like that of Avatar or Pocahontas. We discover a new land, meet a new culture, unleash evils. The Jade Serpent says that our character may become integral to making things right again. The Jade Forest is pretty much the main story, as our expedition focus falls apart and it becomes more about exploring Pandaria. Until the factions arrive on the Krasarang Wilds and then story continues and escalates. Now, we have another patch coming and from what I saw on the PTR, Lor'theron wants to get some artifacts from the Isle of the Thunder King to use against Garrosh when the time comes and I suppose the Kirin Tor have a similar goal, so that story continues. Then, we all know it'll end with the fight going against Garrosh.

That's really cool.

Herald of the Titans Feral Camel's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I've been pretty impressed with Blizzards story telling this expansion. Both with the content and the way they have told it.
    Great summary!

Deleted
    Nice summary, loved the last sentence

Deleted
    I can be selective too.

What about the very idea of recruiting a monkey army?
    What about the big enemy of a zone being farm rodents?
    What about helping Pandas brew beer?
    What about tending a farm?
    What about.... Pandas making jokes all the time. Have you seen their animations and language?

And this game is somehow not kiddy?

It's hard to get to the core story when the large majority is mundane tasks like tending a farm and brewing beer.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardstyler01 View Post
    I can be selective too.

What about.... Pandas making jokes all the time. Have you seen their animations and language?

It's hard to get to the core story when the large majority is mundane tasks like tending a farm and brewing beer.

You know, back in Warcraft 3, the majority of time I was spamclicking those sheep and poking my units for all the comedy value. Granted those were taken out of context, but then again, so are most of your examples.

Even the monkey (and fish, for Alliance) army example isn't such a big stretch, since it tied directly into the main story of pitting two factions against each other, thus triggering the Sha, never mind that for the first time in how long, they actually did a good job fleshing out an expansion-centric race's culture (the hozen and Jinyu are very well detailed compared to, say, the Taunka).

Also, 3/5 examples you've given all take place within a single zone that was MEANT to be a step back from the main story, and the 5th point is a nonissue considering most of the civilian Pandaren were lighthearted, humorous people before we started to blow stuff up in their land (and gnomes and goblins suffer worse with the issue of not being taken to seriously). "Majority" is a bit of an embellishment.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't really get the hate for the hozen. Yeah I suppose they have some comic relief elements thrown in, but they are also suppose to be this primitive, savage tribe of monkey-men that I think Blizz has really managed to reflect as well. The Horde intro quests mainly show this with Hozen class warriors called "gut-rippers", tearing out a trolls eyes and killing his pet and savagely attacking Alliance who enter their territory. I mean its not like older races in the game haven't had their fair share of "comedic" elements thrown in.

Deleted
    It is sarcasm, yeah...i know xD

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I can be selective too.

Me and most of the people I play with over 30 years old (some approaching 40). MoP has some fun elements to it that we, as mature adults appreciate. It's lighthearted fun though rather than "kiddy".

I think the "concern" voiced by detractors of the game over how "childish" it is a more a reflection of their own insecurities (ie: OMG what will the other kids at school think when they find out I play WoW?).

I spend less than 5 minutes a day tending to my farm. If I add the tillers/cooking dailies, I am able to hearth into Halfhill and finish it all before my HS comes off CD (15 mins). That hardly qualifies as any kind of "large majority".
    Last edited by Raelbo; 2013-02-21 at 09:47 AM.

I don't really get the hate for the hozen. Yeah I suppose they have some comic relief elements thrown in, but they are also suppose to be this primitive, savage tribe of monkey-men that I think Blizz has really managed to reflect as well.

I agree. In fact, I think they're the most well fleshed-out, non-playable race WoW has seen in awhile. You get a sense of savage, feral primitives that have a sense of cunning and humor, with different clans and individuals that may or may not adhere to the cultures set forth in those clans.

Of course, the speedquest clicking jockeys won't see that, but rather poop-throwing monkeys, just like everyone sees Kung Fu Panda.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackishi View Post
    I agree. In fact, I think they're the most well fleshed-out, non-playable race WoW has seen in awhile. You get a sense of savage, feral primitives that have a sense of cunning and humor, with different clans and individuals that may or may not adhere to the cultures set forth in those clans.

Of course, the speedquest clicking jockeys won't see that, but rather poop-throwing monkeys, just like everyone sees Kung Fu Panda.
    Hozens have like the best music ever.
    I really enjoyed them and would love to have them as playable race
    http://youtu.be/4EOwzZhHRnc?t=15m41s

10+ Year Old Account
    this expansion introduced a whole lot of lore where there was none, which is fascinating in many ways for people like me who likes to read quest text and understand what's happening. For people like my GF, it's just more quests to do :P

And while doing so, in both cases, it's nice to have something to laugh about now and then in game. Some thing i dislike (i don't want to hurt marmots for example) and other i like (infinite beer cask whohoo). Anyone using the shell for kill screenshots?

Too bad the story is buried so deep in the cheezeball pandas and monkey army that's it's really hard to get into. Rescuing Taylor doesn't seem as dramatic when you have to fight monkey throwing crap at you. WoW has always had it's "funny" moments but in this particular expansion it seems to be main theme that overrides the dark story beneath.
    I felt like putting a bullet between the eyes of every Panda that wouldn't screw to save its species.

Quote Originally Posted by Baene55 View Post
    Too bad the story is buried so deep in the cheezeball pandas and monkey army that's it's really hard to get into. Rescuing Taylor doesn't seem as dramatic when you have to fight monkey throwing crap at you. WoW has always had it's "funny" moments but in this particular expansion it seems to be main theme that overrides the dark story beneath.
    Sorry, you're correct. I just went to the Dread Wastes and saw Monkeys everywhere, along with Cheezeball consuming Pandas.

Oh, I also strolled through Krasarang, and although there was more a mature note with the Hozen and Pandaren, that was still the impression that came off to everyone.

You don't have to look hard in the slightest for the true story of Mists to be fleshed out.

If you haven't noticed, as you descend into the other zones, the story itself gets darker, along with more mature themes and characters.

It's a nice touch to the story, by welcoming you with "beer" and "fun jokes", and seeing what horrors our war has wrought to Pandaria as we travel through the other sections of the former peaceful continent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Princess Kenny View Post
    Avocado is a tropical fruit , south seas expansion confirmed.

Good post, but I'm sure there's plenty of players who will never accept Pandaren as warcraft worthy race.
    Blizzard realises that too, otherwise they wouldn't be trying to justify their existence so much.

I always get the impression that the people who make these complaints are the ones who never read the quest text (or Lorewalker scrolls) and don't realize that Pandaria is a thin layer of calm on the surface of a continent of blood-soaked savagery and horrors.

Excellent OP, nicely sums up the current state of affairs on Pandaria.
    Last edited by Darmalus; 2013-02-21 at 09:05 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can be selective too.

So in order for you to be satisfied everything in the game has to be hard boiled and grim? Do you realize how juvenile that makes you sound? You're sounding like the 12 years old child that takes up smoking to show the other kids how he's so much mature than everyone else.

I can be selective too.

well said.

I don't know why the childishness of the game is denied constantly by the very players who like the game. Are they embarrassed that they like a childish game? I think they should come out and say MOP is childish and I still like it ot even I like it because it is so childish. That would be honest.

---------- Post added 2013-02-22 at 02:39 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Baene55 View Post
    There is no warcraft left in wow anymore.

I lol'ed at cheezeball pandas
    Last edited by killidan; 2013-02-22 at 02:34 AM.

Great summary. Honestly I have had more fun this expansion then I have had since BC and if the content continues to show the same quality, story and attention to detail it has so far I can see it surpassing BC to be my favorite expansion ever.