Thread: [WW] Fix my DPS

Page 1 of 10
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

[WW] Fix my DPS

Fix my DPS!

What this thread for:

• Every class community I have been part of has had these types of threads to help new people get better and sometimes even help experienced players improve as well. I'm stealing the Template from Krekko no reason to re-invent the wheel.
    • To help people who have put forth the effort into learning their class/spec and want to see how and where they may be going wrong when not getting the numbers you want. If you cant, on your own, figure out what more needs to be done, and want some "expert" opinions this is the place is for you!
    • Players with experience will be here to help you and explain what's going wrong and where. This is not to flame or make fun of people, if you do that "You're gonna have a bad time".
    • To learn and see, by example, where other Monks have been falling short, and to use this information and help you further!

Before you post!:
    Please go over the stickied threads and other resources!

And other resources your fellow posters have put effort into providing you!

How to post:

This is a big part in helping you out. The more (relevant) information you give us, the better we will be able to serve you! This includes:
    • Your Armory
    • World of Logs or any other parses you have from the fights.
    • Fights you're struggling to perform on.
    • Your spec/glyphs for each individual fight you post questions for IF different than what's on your armory. You can use WoWhead's talent calculator for this!
    • Any information on why you think you might be having a problem. Highlight your rotation, CD usage, and any other information you think will help it. The more details and the more specific you are, the better!

Once you have all that information compiled, fill this out with any

HTML Code:
    [B]Armory Link:[/B]
    [B]Alternate Specs/Glyphs:[/B]
    [B]Worldoflogs Link:[/B]
    [B]Questions, concerns, expectations:[/B]
    [B]Description of Playstyle:[/B]

Anything outside of what's there feel free to post in a freeform style below that. PLEASE use the template though for sake of ease.

What not to post:

• Logs bragging about how awesome you are. These will be removed. This is to help people, not flex your epeen. Want to show off? Show off with how smart you are and help others out!
    • Flaming, and hate. This will NOT be tolerated in any form. You're here to help people, not degrade people. If you flame and hate on people though, "You're gonna have a bad time"
    • Questions about HOW to gear, HOW to spec, HOW to reforge. Utilize the other tools on the forum to figure out the answers to these questions. If you can't find it, feel free to post in the utility threads and ask!

IF YOU ARE RESPONDING!

Make sure to address the person by name when you post! This will help prevent confusion and any mixups that might be had.

Be polite! Don't degrade, flame, or attack people.

Make your posts clear and concise! Go point by point rather than rambling away!

Finally:

If you're not posting for yourself, make sure you have the person's permission to post their armory and links. Nothing is worse than "that awkward moment" when you find your own armory on here. If you're posting on behalf of someone else, remember this is a public forum and they can see what you say. Don't let it bite you in the ass.

All threads which fit into this type I will try to get merged into here from now on, and this will remain a "timeless" thread.
    Last edited by Requital; 2013-03-10 at 10:47 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    Can you imagine if someone insulted you in a thread, you reported it, and I told you "sorry, wrong thread to be butthurt"?

10+ Year Old Account
    Promdates made a very good Trinket rating sheet. So, not sure why that's "coming soon". http://iamthewookie.com/monk/

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by alysmera View Post
    Promdates made a very good Trinket rating sheet. So, not sure why that's "coming soon". http://iamthewookie.com/monk/
    It's coming soon as I was working on one for the thread a lot of people don't have excel or can't figure out spreadsheets so I was simply trying to help out with that situation however I did link to his spreadsheets thanks for the information!
    Last edited by Requital; 2013-02-18 at 06:48 PM.
    Can you imagine if someone insulted you in a thread, you reported it, and I told you "sorry, wrong thread to be butthurt"?

15+ Year Old Account
    Since 5.2 is now out this thread could really get a lot of use, I've had PM's directly sent to me and I've added a number of people to realid my list is now Pink and Green 90% of the time. I'm fine chatting in game or on the forums via pm but I've answered like 10 questions the same to 10 different people on 10 different fights.

So what I'm hoping to accomplish here first off is a way for people to help each other in one thread instead of 10. This will let you see how people are performing the biggest factor here is they are all my numbers and no one else mainly because I don't want people being pissed or upset that I used their numbers. Now while I know i'm not the best geared and best WW to ever play the game I also know I am very capable of being one of the best just like I was with Ret.

I encourage you to contribute yours as well so better discussion can be made for the current tier of encounters. No one is the best at everything but together we can have some of the best DPS discussion.

Week #1

Have any comments, suggestions, questions or constructive criticism please by all means don't be afraid to ask.
    Last edited by Requital; 2013-03-12 at 04:42 AM.

Great idea! Our numbers look pretty comparable, some variation I wager due to 10 vs 25 raiding (as I do 10). However our numbers differ much more on Ji. Were you on nest duty on? If so, what ability strategy (and general nest/flying strat) did u use per nest/boss moments that accounts for such good dps (again if on nest duty). I Only pulled about 70k while running nests.

edit: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ivist/advanced
    Last edited by Kshar; 2013-03-11 at 05:33 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kshar View Post
    Great idea! Our numbers look pretty comparable, some variation I wager due to 10 vs 25 raiding (as I do 10). However our numbers differ much more on Ji. Were you on nest duty on? If so, what ability strategy (and general nest/flying strat) did u use per nest/boss moments that accounts for such good dps (again if on nest duty). I Only pulled about 70k while running nests.

edit: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ivist/advanced
    I was on 1 down 2 up nest duties, I used SEF put one on each egg and then spammed spinning crane kick. So for me it was down on Nest 3 and up on 5 & 6 and then back down. I tried to use my parachute/glider when jumping off the second nest to save one charge of feathers so I could try to get the buff in the air but I wasn't able to get it worked out yet.

I see you are gemming for mastery instead of haste? How is that working for you, I've reforged about 50 times and havent really regemmed yet. I tried even the new stat priorities in askmrrobot. To me everything still feels clunky, the rotation especially. Having to depend on ~50% damage increase from TEB really sucks. my damage feels so spikey because there is alot of movement on these fights and it tends to loose alot because I can't spend a full 15 seconds on one thing.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Beertholomew View Post
    I see you are gemming for mastery instead of haste? How is that working for you, I've reforged about 50 times and havent really regemmed yet. I tried even the new stat priorities in askmrrobot. To me everything still feels clunky, the rotation especially. Having to depend on ~50% damage increase from TEB really sucks. my damage feels so spikey because there is alot of movement on these fights and it tends to loose alot because I can't spend a full 15 seconds on one thing.
    I don't think that Mastery will take off until you can get your hands on an RoR, I've regemmed multiple times and I know Mastery will eventually turn into a better stat but I don't feel like right now it is. I feel like Crit is still better overall then Mastery but I also feel like I could be doing more DPS if I just went back to a full crit build with even lower haste. I went with higher haste to see how it would be and to be honest I'm not sure I'm happy with it. Today i'm leaving the gemming as it is for Lei Shin and if I get an RoR I'll make some more gem changes. If I don't get an RoR I think next week I'll be regemming back to full agi.

New tiers and changes of stat values are always hard to get a feel for I personally don't feel like I need all 6300 Haste I'm sitting at. I feel like I could drop back as far as 4-5K and be perfectly fine. I guess I'll find out soon enough but this week has been the same gemming all week. I feel like with my 528 weapon I should be doing more damage than I am. Also a lot of the fights in T15 are very heavy movement once again limiting the need of a high haste cap.

I'm currently a 2h WW monk with a 528 weapon so its a little different for me than dual wield, but I did notice when trying the new stat weights with askmrrobot for giggles it put my haste around ~7.7K, my rotation did feel alot more fluid, not having to rely on FoF as much and fillers to a standard 5.1 rotation again. But I think my dps was actually lower with lack of crits.

I have a feeling that with more t15 gear we will want to push it up around the 8k mark, (which will be much easier) and mastery/crit will take care of the rest. but i did have to admit, the rotation was feeling alot smoother around the 8k haste area; the smoothest its felt since 5.1.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Beertholomew View Post
    I'm currently a 2h WW monk with a 528 weapon so its a little different for me than dual wield, but I did notice when trying the new stat weights with askmrrobot for giggles it put my haste around ~7.7K, my rotation did feel alot more fluid, not having to rely on FoF as much and fillers to a standard 5.1 rotation again. But I think my dps was actually lower with lack of crits.

I have a feeling that with more t15 gear we will want to push it up around the 8k mark, (which will be much easier) and mastery/crit will take care of the rest. but i did have to admit, the rotation was feeling alot smoother around the 8k haste area; the smoothest its felt since 5.1.
    I don't get why people hate on FoF so much. It's such a useful skill for downtime, produces more DPS than autoattacking, and will let you run as low as 5k haste effectively, with putting those stats elsewhere. Haste just feels like such a bad idea. It's a QoL vs a DPS increase, imo.

I don't hate FoF, I use it for energy regen mainly; and its good sustained dps for the channel, but you really need to use the full channel to take advantage of all the chi you use. With these really mobile fights lately in ToT, you cant alway do a full FoF either. Don't get me wrong, its not bad.

If you don't want to use Fists of Fury, use power strikes and reforge regem to haste. The DPS is pretty comparable between the two talents. I'm using power strikes for high movement fights where FOF is impractical.

A bit of QQ, but I was sat on Lei Shen last night because my DPS was not enough to justify another melee in the raid, so the raid leader brought in another ranged. All in all monks are pretty submarginal at the moment. No reason to not look for way to get better, but I'm literally depressed right now how bad we are in comparison to other classes.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hybrys View Post
    I don't get why people hate on FoF so much. It's such a useful skill for downtime, produces more DPS than autoattacking, and will let you run as low as 5k haste effectively, with putting those stats elsewhere. Haste just feels like such a bad idea. It's a QoL vs a DPS increase, imo.
    These are my thoughts as well, I don't like the feeling of 8k haste, I don't like seeing my energy bar so close to 100% all the time. I feel with raid buffs around 5-5.5 on gear is as high as I like in fact I prefer a little lower if I can get it.

10+ Year Old Account
    @Salty Monks are actually pretty good on Lei Shen tbh. We can negate alot of damage late in the fight and our momentum speed boost helps dps him while gale is up. Not to mention SPK on the adds. If you talk about raw numbers, yea we wont be there with some other melee, but for that fight specifically we aren't terribad and RoR the highest priority for any monk dpser, but with so few guilds killing Lei Shen so far people are worried about first week heroic unlocks.

@Req I was mastery all week and did old tier farm stuff as a somewhat crit reforge/gemmed. I noticed alot more damage especially when I popped my brew during trinkets/raid buffs. It wasn't 5.1 dps but on some of the fights it was looking alot better.
    Host of Monkcraft Podcast and Co-Host of Groupquest

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gulvan View Post
    @Salty Monks are actually pretty good on Lei Shen tbh. We can negate alot of damage late in the fight and our momentum speed boost helps dps him while gale is up. Not to mention SPK on the adds. If you talk about raw numbers, yea we wont be there with some other melee, but for that fight specifically we aren't terribad and RoR the highest priority for any monk dpser, but with so few guilds killing Lei Shen so far people are worried about first week heroic unlocks.

@Req I was mastery all week and did old tier farm stuff as a somewhat crit reforge/gemmed. I noticed alot more damage especially when I popped my brew during trinkets/raid buffs. It wasn't 5.1 dps but on some of the fights it was looking alot better.
    Ya TeB usage has a very strict window of usage and good vs bad players it will be very evident now.

Deleted
    I'm rather ridiculously geared, but I'm pulling top numbers, beating most of our other DPS... So I'm curious, Salty. What are you numbers actually looking like? For example, I was looking around 115k for Primordius, 108k for Meg. (No proper ranks, our logger was bad this week. Next week.)

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...Hybrael/simple

10+ Year Old Account
    The only thing I am playing with is if using a high proc TEB stack dps phase if using FoF worth it when low energy or maybe going BoK spam + EB usage during that phase if its up as you can get another TEB 10 stack.

If I get time tonight I am going to do some dummy testing to see which one I can actually do better based on my playstyle.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gulvan View Post
    The only thing I am playing with is if using a high proc TEB stack dps phase if using FoF worth it when low energy or maybe going BoK spam + EB usage during that phase if its up as you can get another TEB 10 stack.

If I get time tonight I am going to do some dummy testing to see which one I can actually do better based on my playstyle.
    I've been able to go from 20, and do constant Jab+BoK/RSK spending EB at my first low energy moment, and run 3 full 10 stacks, for 45 seconds of boosted damage. Nevermind the damage you gain doing BoKs vs FoF.

10+ Year Old Account
    I know there was some discussion in the Xuen thread about Chi generation vs damage/stacks gained from BoK spamming. With my real world testing this past week in ToT I feel that the way the mechanics are working out in the tier, FoF is just not worth using. Maybe if you are at like 0 energy and have 4+chi or something but even that should rarely happen if you manage EB right.

Deleted
    It kind of depends on your role in the fights. I can think of opportunities in almost every fight where I could utilize FoF for pure regen time between RSKs. Sub 30 energy, just had to spend chi on Tiger Palm, choice between BoK with 1 Chi spare, or FoF, I'll pick FoF.