Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Why can't hairdressers/barbers ever get it right?

Semi-rage/semi-helpmeplz here....

WHY CAN'T THEY EVER CUT MY HAIR HOW I ASK? It's not like I'm vague about how I'd like my hair cut either, I explicitly explain how I want my hair to be and yet they still manage to balls it up. I've been to ~8 hair-cutting-places-things ranging from cheapish places to more highend fancy snazzy magical places and yet the scissor-wielding hair snipper always interprets "none off the fringe" as "cut that bugger right off, clean off" and manages to balls it up some other, magical way that I didn't even know existed until the awkward "yes it's fine" fake smile I give as they proudly display their handy work with a mirror to show the back of my head looking like a bison that just ran through a tunnel of razor wire. How does anyone get a decent hair cut? I can't do it myself, I have the hand-eye coordination of a blind octopus on heroine, so that's out of the question. GUIZE I NEED HALPZ OKAY? OH AND I KNOW I SOUND LIKE A RIGHT GIRL WHINING ABOUT THIS BUT I AM ACTUALLY A DUDE YEAH.

Thankyou and goodnight,
    Captain Slapcock.

ain't been to a barber for 10 years but i do seem to remember them always fucking something up.

Mine gets my hair right. I like how it turns out and it isn't exactly simple.

Deleted
    I have a friend doing it for me if I want something special. Helps loads.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I learned to cut my own hair after simple instructions fell on deft ears too many times. No2 on the sides with a fade to No4 on top was just too hard for most people out there somehow. Then male pattern baldness happened so now I just shave my head. I feel for ya, hopefully you get a solution soon.

I always find when i enter a barbershop that I simply do not have words in my vocabulary to describe how I want my hair beyond "shorter", which is kind of a given.
    I don't think this matters nearly as much as you think it does.

Deleted
    Yeah sadly they do. Not sure what else you can do than explain very detailed what you want though. Take pictures if you find something resembling your wishes, or better yet: in the unlikely event someone gets it right, take pictures of you and take them next time...

Oh, and in defense of the haircutting species: Sometimes dissapointment just stems from false expectations, because some things simply cannot be accomplished with every hairtype.

10+ Year Old Account
    Totally off-topic, but I just want to point out OPs Forum name, his name in his avatar, and he "signature" at the bottom of the post are all spelled differently -.-'

Quote Originally Posted by zoefschildpad View Post
    I always find when i enter a barbershop that I simply do not have words in my vocabulary to describe how I want my hair beyond "shorter", which is kind of a given.
    this sounds exactly like me, lol. havent really had any dissapointments that way but i guess not being to picky helps alot

Sorry, OP

I dont have a lot of hair on my head, thus I am quite the easy game for my barber. I am going for over 10 years to the same guy and now I just have to sit down, say "the usual" and I get my hair trimmed like always.

Next time, immediately stop the stylist if he or she does something wrong, or is in the process of doing something wrong. Steer them through your own ideas one or two times and once they get it, dont change the stylist ever again.

Dont just sit there quietly, watching them how the fuck you up.

Deleted
    I've tried the whole taking a picture and asking for it like that thing but again, the translation from image to head never quite works out. I mean, these people have gone through some form of training to cut and style hair so surely they must be able to do it? Right? There are people out there with decent hairstyles... why can't that happen to me?
    Meh, I guess the search for a decent cut continues. If I could cut it myself I would but I don't want to risk losing an ear.

Also, @Belize... yes. I intended for the name CaptainCAPSL0CK, misspelled it since I created my account in the wee hours and never bothered to change it but still used my avatar . And... slapcock is an oh-so-hilarious anagram of capslock.

Deleted
    Get another hairdresser. That's basically all there is to it. Takes a while to find someone you can trust to do a good job, it's mostly trial and error. Good luck

10+ Year Old Account
    Mid-Michigan (Originally Victoria, Australia)
    So you tell them before hand that you want none off the fringe? And they take some off the fringe? As you're sitting there, unable to tell them that "Hey, remember I said none off the fringe, I see you with that comb, pulling up my fringe with your fingers holding it tight, about to cut it."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryken View Post
    So you tell them before hand that you want none off the fringe? And they take some off the fringe? As you're sitting there, unable to tell them that "Hey, remember I said none off the fringe, I see you with that comb, pulling up my fringe with your fingers holding it tight, about to cut it."
    Maybe they understood "none OF the fringe"?

Deleted
    Responding to Ryken, I'm not saying I sit there and watch them hack away where I said not to - but the fact that they prepare to cut my fringe when I told them not to doesn't exactly inspire feelings of confidence that they're following my directions, nor that they are able to produce the desired style.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mid-Michigan (Originally Victoria, Australia)
    Quote Originally Posted by -Silenus- View Post
    Maybe they understood "none OF the fringe"?
    My point is, if he asks for none off the fringe, and he's sitting there, noticing that the hairdresser is combing his fringe, putting his fringe between their fingers, and getting the scissors, he's not exactly powerless to say "Hey, stop, I said". It's not like haircutting is rocket science, you can tell what they're doing, and its not as if its over in a second. If you don't like what they're doing, tell them. You can't sit back and then magically be unhappy and fake smile, as you say. Sounds like you're too shy of confrontation.

If someone was making you a burger right next to you and was picking up the pickle, when you don't like pickle, would you let them put it on, serve it, then complain? It's not like you're blindfolded

Deleted
    I stopped asking and let them do whatever they want. /shrug

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    about 90% of my haircuts are exactly what I want, very few times have they messed it up.

Stop going to cheap places.

i go to barber every week, my advice find a new barber that is easy to reach. from the first time you sit in you MUST explain EVERY SMALL DETAIL and tell him straight to him that you will not except anything else.

and then just keep going to the same barber over and over again, in fact now i have the barber number and i call before going to make sure that i do not waste my time waiting for him to finish.

also sometimes i bring my own equipment.

10+ Year Old Account
    I always do it myself, else you could be more in detals when explaining your desired hairstyle?
    8700K (5GHz) - Z370 M5 - Mugen 5 - 16GB Tridentz 3200MHz - GTX 1070Ti Strix - NZXT S340E - Dell 24' 1440p (165Hz)