Power Supply + Power Board?

I'm buying a PC with 750 watt PSU, I came to the realisation that I don't know if power boards can only take certain watts. If this is true what would happen if I tried to use a 750 watt PSU on a power board that might not be able to take that many watts? Would my system fry? or would it just not run? A risk I'd rather not take.

Secondly, do certain power supplies only fit in certain motherboards or are they able to be plugged into anything?

No, the computer will only draw as much power as it needs, it doesn't mean it's going to be sucking in 750 watts all the time. It can go up to 750 watts. The other thing "bad" is that you are spending extra money on a 750 watt PSU if you're not going to use it.

And the only thing with the PSU and motherboard is that you have to determine whether it's a 20 pin or 24 pin (I think those are the right numbers) and whether the PSU has the right connection. If you're buying a name brand of both, I wouldn't worry about it, it's more if you're using an old ass mother board and a brand new PSU or vice versa.

So overall: you'll be perfectly fine.

ASUS P8Z77-V Motherboard + Corsair TX-750 V2 Power Supply

I assume they both work together but on the page I'm looking at it doesn't say how many pins the PSU needs

Thanks for your help

Oh yeah you'll be fine with those

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sphexy View Post
    And the only thing with the PSU and motherboard is that you have to determine whether it's a 20 pin or 24 pin (I think those are the right numbers) and whether the PSU has the right connection. If you're buying a name brand of both, I wouldn't worry about it, it's more if you're using an old ass mother board and a brand new PSU or vice versa.
    The 20 pin connection wouldn't be found on anything newer than 2008 or so. Anything made today uses the 24 pin connector.

Quote Originally Posted by Sphexy View Post
    No, the computer will only draw as much power as it needs, it doesn't mean it's going to be sucking in 750 watts all the time. It can go up to 750 watts. The other thing "bad" is that you are spending extra money on a 750 watt PSU if you're not going to use it.

So overall: you'll be perfectly fine.
    How can you consider buying a bit of a bulkier PSU than you may require bad? Honestly people with the rate of speed at which data transfer is ramping up and the ever growing music, movie, games, and pictures libraries people may have or want to house on their pc having the room to float is a GOOD thing. Now yea if you have a little i3 machine made for net browsing occasionally you probably could never need 1000watt PSU but 750w given capacitor degradation and the ever growing additions possible I see no reason why 750w psu which are roughly the same price as similar 500-600w psu's would be sub optimal, unless on a really strict budget.

Another point is nearly any new retail psu @ 500w or higher is going to feature a 20 + 4 pin and a 4/8 pin for the motherboard and cpu's power. If you are buying a non name brand PSU around 750w then you have much larger worries.