Help building a computer.

Hey

So my girlfriend asked me if I could build her a cheap computer she can play WoW, Skyrim and Assasin Creed (Those are the only "new" games she play), and I said yes - I can see what I can do.
    But to be honest, I'm still pretty fresh into building computers as I've only build two for my self and one for my brother so far.

This is the parts I've found that was pretty cheap:

CPU: Intel® Celeron® Processor G540
    MoBo: MSI B75A-G41, Socket-1155
    GPU: XFX Radeon HD 6870 1GB GDDR5 (My old one)
    RAM: 2x Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600MHz 4GB CL9
    HDD: Some old 500gb I got home, with 7200RPM
    PSU: Cooler Master GX Lite 500W PSU

Is this build enough to run WoW (Mainly), some Skyrim (not sure how much she plays that, cant recall last time I saw her playing it) and Assasins Creed? No need to have max settings or anything, she's used to play on a laptop..

Oh and while we're at it, I'm replacing my Radeon HD 6870 if I build this for her, and put in something newer. How exactly does that work, when installing a new GPU? Do I download drivers before removing the old one, turn of my computer and put in the new GPU and it will work?

Thanks for all the help guys, and if you got any suggestions to other parts I can use in a cheap build. With the absolute maximum at $550/400€(3000NOK), I think that was with a case though, so not much to go on..
    Quote Originally Posted by atenime45 View Post
    The 10% reward. It's was unspoken rule that you DONT attack other faction so everyone could enjoy the 10% reward. But now no one cares about that anymore

10+ Year Old Account
    With that budget, theres no reason not to get a very nice computer for her. With some of the expensive stuff handled (OS, GPU). I know prices will be different, but they ought to be at least somewhat close.

The SSD isn't necessary, but it's certainly within your budget range, and would make her a happy girl.

PCPartPicker part list
    CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($183.79 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: MSI B75MA-P45 Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($61.99 @ Amazon)
    Memory: Corsair 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($39.00 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($99.99 @ Adorama)
    Case: Cooler Master Elite 430 ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: Antec 450W ATX12V Power Supply ($39.99 @ Mac Mall)
    Total: $464.75
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Deleted
    I would imagine components in Norway to be a tad more expensive than in the US. @OP where are you planning to purchase these items from? Is it an online store or a local one?

An online store called komplett.no, a pretty decent site to get computer parts and such in Norway.

As an example of price difference:

CPU: Intel Core i5-3470 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($183.79 @ Amazon)
    Is priced at 1399 NOK = $252,77

So yeah, a litlebit more expensive :P

Thanks for the tips though! I think I can stay in the budget with those parts aswell, as I'm selling her my old GPU and I got the RAM sticks laying home (Ordered to many, didnt notice it was double packs when I ordered them x]) and I got a HDD laying around aswell.
    So I kinda only need a case, cpu, psu, motherboard, and a screen (but she got one of my old, so we gonna see if there will be a sale soon-ish. Thats the nice part of komplett.no - a bunch of sales every week.)
    The 10% reward. It's was unspoken rule that you DONT attack other faction so everyone could enjoy the 10% reward. But now no one cares about that anymore

http://i.imgur.com/yqJI9zs.png

This is pretty much the best you can get for the money.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    http://i.imgur.com/yqJI9zs.png

This is pretty much the best you can get for the money.
    Thank you very much

Deleted
    You can upgrade that build to something more powerful if you don't need the case however. Are you reusing a case? If so which case is it?

Edit
    Sorry I should read the post more carefully!
    Last edited by mmoc7f933b7749; 2013-02-18 at 08:34 AM.

I edited it to another PSU with dual PCI-E connectors and removed the RAM.

http://i.imgur.com/31XJva9.png
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Quote Originally Posted by Drudgery View Post
    You can upgrade that build to something more powerful if you don't need the case however. Are you reusing a case? If so which case is it?
    Nah, dont got a case, as I mentioned
    But I think I got it now.

Can anyone give me an answere on the second question? About installing a new GPU? ^^ Cant be to hard, can it?

Uninstall drivers properly with Driver Sweeper. After that shutdown the computer and pull out the old card, put in the new card and boot up, install new drivers. Done.

Deleted
    CPU - http://www.komplett.no/k/ki.aspx?sku=748721 - i5 3470, better than my i5 2500K at stock
    Mobo - http://www.komplett.no/k/ki.aspx?sku=753193 - arguably the best B75 mobo on the market
    PSU - http://www.komplett.no/k/ki.aspx?sku=657685 - just incase you might upgrade her GPU in a year or 2
    Case - http://www.komplett.no/k/ki.aspx?sku=760761 - It's cheaper and arguably better than the Cooler Master Elite

Total 2968.00

The build above is practically the same as my younger siblings one that I built him over a week ago. It works like a treat!

Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    Uninstall drivers properly with Driver Sweeper. After that shutdown the computer and pull out the old card, put in the new card and boot up, install new drivers. Done.
    As simple as breathing air, as I thought Thanks.

@ Drudgery - I'll ask her how much she's willing to spend when we get home from work today, maybe she'll understand that a better build last longer.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nonslid View Post
    As simple as breathing air, as I thought Thanks.

@ Drudgery - I'll ask her how much she's willing to spend when we get home from work today, maybe she'll understand that a better build last longer.
    You can always opt for the cheaper B75 mobo, to be honest you won't see a huge difference in performance between the two boards so that might sway her. The Gigabyte board supports more RAM modules. It's the gaming department. When tested with a high end GPU it performed just as well as the Z77 boards.

The PSU is made by seasonic and rebadged by XFX. Seasonic make the best PSU on the market. It also supports beefier GPU's and will definitely be compatible with your 6870, which requires 2xPCIe pins. I have the 6870 btw and I think it's a great low-mid range card.

The case is all down to personal taste. She might not like the look of the Silverstone and the Cooler Master Elite's generic design might appeal to her. The Silverstone case has received some positive reviews however.

Here is a video of the case http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lRxklYl8LI
    Last edited by mmoc7f933b7749; 2013-02-18 at 10:21 AM.