Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    I never once claimed two years. You did.

Also, where is the fact on which you base the claim that a battery becomes useless after two years? I've had my phone for 3 years, and I use it daily for commute and work. It still holds a charge just fine, and I haven't noticed any deterioration worth mentioning. So, please, post your source that deliberately and factually shows the 2300mAh in the HTC One will lose its efficiency to such an extent that the phone becomes useless within a two years period. Go.
    You claimed that he will be replacing the phone before the battery begins to degrade.

I countered with the fact that he is unlikely to be replacing it any sooner than 2 years (as he'll be on a contract) and his current device, also made by HTC, is showing degradation after what is likely less than 2 years of use.

Studies on the subject have shown 15-20% loss of capacity per year in li-ion batteries in storage (page 4, figure 5b), with the rate of loss accelerating over time. This is chemical breakdown of the cells is a general property of all li-ion batteries.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    Studies on the subject have shown 15-20% loss of capacity per year in li-ion batteries in storage (page 4, figure 5b), with the rate of loss accelerating over time. This is chemical breakdown of the cells is a general property of all li-ion batteries.
    As far as I can tell that study shows capacity lost during storage, not total efficiency lost over time. Figure 5b shows how much each cell can lose stored capacity.

Also, once again, I never claimed two years. I claimed that he would replace the phone before the battery has degraded enough to have a noticeable impact. You assumed that time was two years, not me.

Deleted
    If you want batteries to last long, store them in a freezer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Marest View Post
    As far as I can tell that study shows capacity lost during storage, not total efficiency lost over time. Figure 5b shows how much each cell can lose stored capacity.

Also, once again, I never claimed two years. I claimed that he would replace the phone before the battery has degraded enough to have a noticeable impact. You assumed that time was two years, not me.
    1. Capacity lost in storage is a useful baseline. Capacity loss while in active use will be higher.

2. The OP is comparing prices of devices on 2 year contracts. I think it's a pretty reasonable assumption that he's planning on getting a device on a 2 year contract, and therefore that he is not going to be replacing the phone for at least 2 years.
    Last edited by Masark; 2013-02-20 at 07:38 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    That does look nice but... Will it be $100 with a contract? They're saying "Wont be over $600" which to me sounds like 200-300 with contract. I honestly can't justify spending 200 on a phone I rarely use.
    Why are you aiming for high end phones if you rarely use it?

---------- Post added 2013-02-20 at 09:15 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by caernon View Post
    Tbh... If you intend to stick with that usage routine, just buy the cheapest thing you can get. Any old "dumbphone" out there is good enough for a brief call. *shrug*

If, however, you're willing to give the full smartphone experience a try - on-the-go access to emails, newsfeeds, social networks, web browsing, maps, time management & organization apps, music on the go, videos on the go, next-gen games etc. - get a Nexus 4 if you can get your paws on one. Off-contract & unlocked at $299 in the Google Play Store (<-link!) for the 8-gig model, hands-down the best value out there. Even tho it's a bit costlier upfront than buying a subsidized phone, over the course of a year or two it is HIGHLY likely to come out significantly cheaper than even a midrange phone attached to a contract.

And it's still one of the best phones out there spec-wise (excluding the fairly crappy storage space). And gets the OS updates months before any other line of phones.
    Sorry! Devices on Google Play is not available in your country yet.
    We're working to bring devices to more countries as quickly as possible.
    Please check back again soon.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Masark View Post
    AT&T only gives you 3 options for WP8, either the Lumia 820, 920, or the HTC 8X.
    Lumias are great phones.

Personally, I'm in love with my Nokia 920. I know it's not in your options, but it's a fantastic phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Novakhoro View Post
    I recommend shoulder surgery immediately... there's no way you didn't fuck it up with how hard you just reached.

10+ Year Old Account
    Honestly, if you rarely take advantage of the "smart" portion of your smartphone, is there really any advantage to getting a $200+ (with contract) phone with spooty battery life and a bunch of features you're never going to use? Being on AT&T, you could grab any awesome, basic GSM flip phone, messenger phone, or candybar phone and get great battery life, likely better call quality, and enjoy physical buttons, all while paying less every month than you do now.

Just a thought.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lazymangaka View Post
    Honestly, if you rarely take advantage of the "smart" portion of your smartphone, is there really any advantage to getting a $200+ (with contract) phone with spooty battery life and a bunch of features you're never going to use? Being on AT&T, you could grab any awesome, basic GSM flip phone, messenger phone, or candybar phone and get great battery life, likely better call quality, and enjoy physical buttons, all while paying less every month than you do now.

Just a thought.
    This is why I still got a Symbian device (Nokia 701). Lack of apps isn't an issue, and it actually has decent selection of some geekier apps (remote desktop, remote for XBMC and webcam over USB/WiFi for example). Considering the way I handle my devices, I'd prolly have destroyed couple of Apple's or Samsung's products. It's a handy bottle opener. :P

And obviously battery life is miles better. Camera would be alright as well if I hadn't cracked the lens... Oh and it lacks a physical keyboard which I miss. Up north being able to use phone with gloves is convenient.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by looz View Post
    Up north being able to use phone with gloves is convenient.
    http://www.howtogeek.com/130477/diy-...hone-friendly/

There are pretty cheap ($10-30) smartphone-friendly gloves out there if DIY approach doesn't work for you, check eBay.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by caernon View Post
    http://www.howtogeek.com/130477/diy-...hone-friendly/

There are pretty cheap ($10-30) smartphone-friendly gloves out there if DIY approach doesn't work for you, check eBay.
    Target sells capacitive touchscreen-friendly gloves for a whopping $3. They're in the women's accessories section, but there's zero difference between men and women's gloves of that basic design.

10+ Year Old Account
    To be honest, the HTC One VX looks like what I want, regardless. I really don't feel like spending any money, it's an upgrade regardless.

As for the battery issue, I actually think there might be something wrong with the phone, rather than degradation of the battery cell. This problem has only been noticable for the last month. Not only that, but I bought it used from some guy who had obviously abused it already (Gyro is dead, for one thing) so who knows what state things are in.

I'm not worried about battery life, really. As long as it uses normal capacity until my next upgrade period, which I'm sure it'll do. HTC has done me well so far.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab