Thread: Mobo question

Mobo question

So, I'm trying to decide what to get for my new build and I'm having a difficult time between various mobos.

Particularly:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...D=3938566&SID=

and

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...D=3938566&SID=

I'm not entirely sure what benefit, if any, there is to getting the Asus over the ASRock. I'm not really planning on overclocking, at least nothing extreme. Never done it before and it's always made me kind of nervous but I would like to try to get the most of my system.
    Currently playing: Stuff
    YouTube|Hearthstone Decks|Twitter|MyAnimeList

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I would get the Asrock the Extreme 4 is probably going to be enough for whatever build you have in mind. With the extra 40 bucks or whatever you can get a better video card or bigger SSD drive. Tell us more about your build thou so we can help in that department as well.

Quote Originally Posted by skarsguard View Post
    I would get the Asrock the Extreme 4 is probably going to be enough for whatever build you have in mind. With the extra 40 bucks or whatever you can get a better video card or bigger SSD drive. Tell us more about your build thou so we can help in that department as well.
    This is what I've got laid out so far: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ECwI

10+ Year Old Account
    In a bar. Somewhere that carries Khalua, cream and Vodka
    The big difference between those two, as far as out of the box functionality, is the fact that the Asus board has a wifi module.
    If you do not need the Wifi, you should probably just stick with the ASRock.

Both are made to OC the CPU, and from what I have seen, both doing well.

The last consideration to make is if you prefer one's color over the other.

Also, if you need help with your build, we can always do so here Just put in the info requested in this sticky and we will take it from there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    anyone want doughnuts? i hear there is a great shop in Vancouver

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Karosene View Post
    This is what I've got laid out so far: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ECwI
    If you going to run with 16gigs get the vengeance LP instead (Low Profile)
    On the SSD I would get a samsung 840 pro or a crucial M4, OCZ vertex 4 something like that
    on the case unless you really just want the Haf-X I would go with something a bit different like a http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811139010, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811139013, or http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811345012 I have a Shinobi XL which is a full tower and wish I would have gotten a mid tower it's just less of a hassle to me.

Power supply I would get something like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...&Tpk=xfx%20550 XFX 550pro 70$

You probably don't need the sound card the sound on the 3570k is pretty good and with that money that you saved I would get something like a 660ti or a 7950
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814121656 Asus 660ti this on is factory overclocked since you said you wasn't as confortable overclocking yourself.
    Last edited by Skarsguard; 2013-02-21 at 05:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Idrinkwhiterussians View Post
    The big difference between those two, as far as out of the box functionality, is the fact that the Asus board has a wifi module.
    If you do not need the Wifi, you should probably just stick with the ASRock.

Both are made to OC the CPU, and from what I have seen, both doing well.

The last consideration to make is if you prefer one's color over the other.

Also, if you need help with your build, we can always do so here Just put in the info requested in this sticky and we will take it from there.
    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ECwI This is what I'm hoping to do.

Budget - I'd like to keep it under $1,500
    Resolution - 1920x1080 is fine
    Games - Would love to max out Skyrim, lag free. Would like to be able to play newer games, particularly whenever the new Fallout comes out. No video editing or 3D rendering
    Country - USA, Arizona
    Parts to reuse - I got a CD drive I can pull from an old system
    OS - I got Win 8 through Dreamspark
    Peripherals - Definitely want a monitor<22", hoping to get dual monitors, preferably one with built in speakers. Already got a new mouse and keyboard in mind but going to get later.

10+ Year Old Account
    1) This is my personal opinion, you could go for an even cheaper motherboard, but based off the build, money doesn't seem to be an issue
    2) 8gb ought to be enough, unless you're doing something beyond gaming that warrants it
    3) With that heatsink, you'll likely need lower profile ram
    4) Again, personal preference. I'd get the $30 cheaper Gigabyte 660 over the EVGA.
    5) Again, personal preference. I don't see people buying PNY SSD's. I haven't heard anything bad about them, but nothing good either. The stats look fine. HOWEVER, make sure that the drive has a desktop adapter kit, or you get one separately.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    this is what I came up with http://pcpartpicker.com/p/EYMQ

1487$ but will be cheaper if you take out your second monitor by 150 bucks.
    Last edited by Skarsguard; 2013-02-21 at 05:35 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by skarsguard View Post
    this is what I came up with http://pcpartpicker.com/p/EYIh
    Are the monitors intentionally two different models? >.>
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

"Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    Are the monitors intentionally two different models? >.>
    No I clicked the wrong one thanks

Edit: I prefer Gigabyte motherboards over Asrock but I think Asrock is still a good brand and Asus is a great motherboard brand as well I just can't stand the light blue boards they put out on there lower end models. What I really like about the Gigabyte motherboard is it to me it is easier to overclock with the 3D bios if you are not use to overclocking and would like to try I say go for the gigabyte.
    Last edited by Skarsguard; 2013-02-21 at 05:40 PM.

skarsguard, I think I might stick with the HAF X, but that Corsair looks pretty nice. I think I'll do as you said and drop the sound card and put the savings towards the 660ti. Thanks!

Awesome, very nice build, I'll save it and see if I can integrate it with a few of my choices. ^^

Chazus, I've already purchased the PNY so I'll look into making sure that's it got the kit, thanks!
    Last edited by Mezzolith; 2013-02-21 at 05:36 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's probably a better choice anyway. It's kind of silly, but a lot of times a drive with an adapter kit is $20 more... But you can buy an adapter kit separately for like.. $5. That's what I ended up doing.

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    That's probably a better choice anyway. It's kind of silly, but a lot of times a drive with an adapter kit is $20 more... But you can buy an adapter kit separately for like.. $5. That's what I ended up doing.
    Do you really even need an adapter kit? I thought I read somewhere about people just using velcro to attach the SSD to the HD Bay and that works just fine for SSDs since they have no moving parts.

Changed a few things around on your build and came up with this.
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($32.98 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Pro3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($87.55 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($47.69 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Crucial M4 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($204.99 @ Adorama)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($73.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($353.98 @ Newegg)
    Case: Corsair 500R Black ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.98 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling Silencer MK III 500W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On IHAS324-98 DVD/CD Writer ($24.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Monitor: Asus VS239H-P 23.0" Monitor ($159.99 @ Newegg)
    Monitor: Asus VS239H-P 23.0" Monitor ($159.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $1506.09
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-21 12:40 EST-0500)

Better GPU, 2nd monitor, bigger and better SSD and just slightly over budget.

10+ Year Old Account
    XFX has a 20percent promo code on newegg EMCXVVW258 so the power supply I had in my build would be a bit cheaper. That code last till sunday I think.

Wow, that mobo looks pretty good for the price, jholdaway.

That Corsair case is really growing on me too. That's the same as skarsguard recommended but black, it seems too.

Think I might end up switching after all.

I almost picked that case as well but I went with the C70 because I liked the ammo can look of it. My only complaint with my case is that I can't figure out a way to run a push/pull setup with my h100i.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Karosene View Post
    Wow, that mobo looks pretty good for the price, jholdaway.

That Corsair case is really growing on me too. That's the same as skarsguard recommended but black, it seems too.

Think I might end up switching after all.
    Corsair is a great brand I'm thinking of doing A Asus/Corsair build myself if I sell my computer to my friend. It's going to have nothing but ASUS and Corsair parts been giving it some thought.