Deleted

How 'good' is this computer for running GW2?

EDIT: just looking at this one: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...odid=FS-290-OE -thoughts?
    or this one: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...odid=FS-316-OE

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by mmoce84939a4e2; 2013-02-24 at 12:01 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    First system £450
    I5 2380P
    1TB HDD
    8gb 1333
    ATI 6450
    H61 MoBo

Second sytem £440
    AMD Bulldozer FX 8120
    1TB HDD
    8gb 1600
    ATI 6670

To be honest, both systems are pretty bottom of the barrel. £450 = ~$750, and for that money, the first system barely qualifies as a media system (it plays movies!), and the second system is pretty much the lowest recommended gaming system setup, but at half the price.

Can you build a system? Pretty much anything is better than these systems.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

both are basically guaranteed to need a new graphics card although the second one could hold off for a bit longer. It looks like the 2nd one should be slightly more expensive but the FX-8120 is like the worst high end processor that was recently released. Simply put, they shoved a bunch of really weak cores into a little box.

I'd keep looking. It's hard to find a pre-built gaming PC around that price that doesn't need a serious GPU upgrade but for the few rare ones that don't really need that upgrade, they usually come with a Radeon 7770. As for processors, aim for i5's, FX-6300, FX-8320 or FX-8350, if you can't find any of those then aim for i3 processors.

The easiest way out is to either learn how to build your own or find a pre-built PC site that allows you to customize the hardware in which case you would probably still need to learn a bit about processors, graphics cards, and how much RAM you need (8GB is perfect).

Deleted
    I really dont have the confidence to gamble that much money on my own bad abilities, but I'll look into it more.

Thanks for help!

It's really easy to build a system, you just have to do your homework if you've never attempted it. Ram/video card insertion is the easiest part to putting a PC together, the others aren't that far ahead but they're noticeable if you've never done it. If you do attempt to build one, take every precaution with static/etc so you don't fry stuff, but like they said they are pretty bad PC's for the price. Easiest yet more pricey is obviously pre-built, it all depends on you/your "budget" (if you have one.)

Deleted
    Everything is made to go in one way and one way only. The hardest thing about a PC build is connecting your case cables to your motherboard. I have to say they've gotten easier in the past 5 years, that or I've gotten use to it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drudgery View Post
    Everything is made to go in one way and one way only. The hardest thing about a PC build is connecting your case cables to your motherboard. I have to say they've gotten easier in the past 5 years, that or I've gotten use to it.
    It is much easier these days. I still remember building my first back in 1998. Jumpers, slaves, masters, etc. Not to mention case design was complete ass back then, and you also had to deal with ribbon cables and the like. Today, it's all pretty much fool proof. For me though, even though it got easier, I'd sooner just build a system and have the shop put it together. It's only $25 or $50 or thereabouts, and at least where I get my stuff, when I get a system built, it comes with a 1 year warranty on all parts. I just find that easier to deal with than building my own and worrying about part per part warranty and troubleshooting.

But yeah, to echo a few others, getting your own custom PC built is the way to go. It's much cheaper, and you get higher quality parts at that.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is the kind of specs you can get building it yourself, if your that worried ask a local shop how much they will charge to build it (shouldn't be more than 50 pound, even then I would say thats steep).

This build here uses a 3rd gen i5 and will perform better but is over budget.
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3350P 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor (£138.98 @ Dabs)
    Motherboard: MSI B75MA-E33 Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£42.47 @ Aria PC)
    Memory: Corsair XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£32.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£55.49 @ Amazon UK)
    Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 1GB Video Card (£88.30 @ Amazon UK)
    Case: NZXT Source 210 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case (£31.18 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 450W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£34.99 @ Aria PC)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer (£12.85 @ Aria PC)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (32-bit) (£71.96 @ CCL Computers)
    Total: £509.21
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-23 20:33 GMT+0000)

Alternatively a build with an i3 will still perform well and is sitting more around the budget.
    PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i3-3220 3.3GHz Dual-Core Processor (£86.99 @ Aria PC)
    Motherboard: MSI B75MA-E33 Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard (£42.47 @ Aria PC)
    Memory: Corsair XMS3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (£32.99 @ Amazon UK)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£55.49 @ Amazon UK)
    Video Card: MSI Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 1GB Video Card (£88.30 @ Amazon UK)
    Case: NZXT Source 210 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case (£31.18 @ Scan.co.uk)
    Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 450W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply (£34.99 @ Aria PC)
    Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer (£12.85 @ Aria PC)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (32-bit) (£71.96 @ CCL Computers)
    Total: £457.22
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-02-23 20:37 GMT+0000)

I would personally spend the extra few quid for the i5 and build it myself.

Deleted
    The problem with PCPartpicker and using it to buy parts in the UK is it doesn't factor in shipping costs properly. Buying things from Amazon isn't too much hassle. Scan and Aria charge delivery on most if not all of their items. You're looking at between £15-£20 ontop of the total price linked in those builds. Also the cost between a Intel Core i5 3350P and an i5 3470 is miniscule. It's worth having the i5 3470 for the backup GPU on board. I'd only recommend the former if there is a significant price drop in those CPUs.

Deleted
    How about feedback on this one: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...odid=FS-290-OE

That one can also be customised by the manufacturer

Quote Originally Posted by Zombina View Post
    How about feedback on this one: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...odid=FS-290-OE

That one can also be customised by the manufacturer
    That's rather expensive considering it has relatively low end graphics card and no windows included in the price.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    http://www.aria.co.uk/Systems/Gaming...roductId=53183

Has a weaker graphics card but more powerful CPU at stock. Give them a ring and see if they can include a 7850, which should come at an increased cost. Like the build's you've linked, it doesn't come with an OS

Deleted
    Thank you