Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Just FYI guys since we're talking about females, I had to watch Dr. Oz today and this lady who apparently was a coach on Biggest Loser or some shit was there. Lady was skinny and they weighed her and she was 119 pounds with like shoes and clothes on lol. And it was obviously at a part of the day where she like ate and drank sooo...Damn that's fucking LIGHT.

I kind of thought like 140 or 150 was average for women but ogm. (Not the average weight, but the average target). Since men try to average like 170 or so right? Or whatever.

Sorry, I'm just rambling.

Its good you are really motivated because that is very important. There are many good tips already here, so ill just give one more mention of water, not huge amounts but just replacing other beverages with water is a great way to cut calorie intake. After not much time you will be used to it especially if u are good at drinking some pure water while excercising.

At your current size I wouldn't start running just yet. You will ruin your knees for yourself down the road. Start off with low-impact cardio such as biking and the elliptical. They don't need to be huge workouts either - 20 minutes is still better than 0. And it's what you should be starting off with as well.

However, if you're adamant about running, visit http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/beginners.html and take his advice. You will not regret it.

Then, go to your local running shop, they'll be able to help even more.

Beyond that, drink at least 64oz of water a day, and eat colorful foods. The more color on your plate, the more nutrients and vitamins there are. Cut down on sugar, and stay away from fast food.

Good luck! :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Breimann View Post
    The more color on your plate, the more nutrients and vitamins there are.

Hell yeah.

No well. Try to eat vegetables but this every color thing is...Just make healthy choices and you'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by bunnyhunny View Post
    so basically ive been over weight my entire life. im a 17 year old girl, 5'2, 260 pounds. the thing is im starting my senior year of highschool next year and i dont want to look like a blob in my pictures. Im not super unhealthy(according to my doctor) but i want to lose weight before it turns into a problem for my health. i thought i would start running/jogging 5 days a week, with strength and abs training too. i wanted to know if this is a good idea. i know how to eat healthy because i do that now. my biggest problem is that i eat at night right before bed. im also on a birthcontrol that makes is much easier to gain weight. I gained about 60 pounds in a year since i got the shot. if you guys could give me some workout ideas, or some advice it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much(:
    This is my advice, take it or not.

Do not do anything drastic because it will shock your system and increase the odds of an injury.

See your doctor to make sure it's okay to start an exercise program.

Take it slow at first and build up. Running five days a week is NOT recommended. Resting between work outs is just as important as the work outs themselves. Run three times a week, every other day. Strength training on your off days is a good idea. Don't overdo it.

Watch your diet. Count your calories. See a nutritionist if you can. They're a wealth of information. Oh, and if you can afford it, pay for a session or two with a personal trainer so they can teach you how to work out and what exercises to do.
    “You have died of dysentery” – Oregon Trail

I could give you a lot of advice on this but I just don't have that much time. Find a book by Tom Venuto called "Burn Fat, Feed Muscle" there is everything you need for this.

But a few pointers off the top of my head:

-measure yourself frequently to see if what you're doing is working and what you need to adjust
    -determine your calorie needs and eat fewer calories then that
    -learn to count calories
    -do cardio 3-4 times a week, overdoing it could cause health problems
    -change your cardio routines as the time passes so your body doesn't get used to it and burn less calories.
    -also, loosing weight too fast can cause health problems (you basically want to cut yourself in half). I wouldn't lose more then 15 pounds per month so your time frame should be 9 to 12 month for this. But ask some professional on how fast should you lose weight. 15 pounds is off the top of my head.
    -5-7 smaller meals a day to speed up your metabolism
    -zig-zag your calorie intake in the 3 day under maintenance, 1 day at the maintenance. To avoid your body getting to starvation mode and hitting a plateau. Although I doubt that will be a problem at the beginning.
    -eat healthy food like oatmeal, vegetables, white meat, whole grain bread (if you have to eat bread at all)
    -avoid anything fatty or with white flour
    etc.

My type of girl is skinny one and I can already see you with 130 pounds less even though I don't know you. Also, as someone who went from 26% Body Fat to 9% (44 pounds less), I can tell you that other then looks, you will feel fantastic and nothing will feel hard to do. You are shedding another person off of your back after all.

Read the book and keep at it.
    Last edited by Nachos87; 2013-03-01 at 02:31 AM.

I could give you a lot of advice on this but I just don't have that much time. Find a book by Tom Venuto called "Burn Fat, Feed Muscle" there is everything you need for this.

-measure yourself frequently to see if what you're doing is working and what you need to adjust
    -learn to count calories
    -zig-zag calorie intake
    -increasing cardio with time in order to stop your body adjusting.
    -also, loosing weight too fast can cause health problems (you basically want to cut yourself in half). I wouldn't lose more then 15 pounds per month so your time frame should be 9 to 12 month for this. But ask some professional on how fast should you lose weight. 15 pounds is off the top of my head.
    -5-7 small meals to speed up your metabolism
    -eat healthy food like oatmeal, vegetables, white meat, whole grain bread (if you have to eat bread at all)
    etc.

My type of girl is skinny one and I can already see you with 130 pounds less even though I don't know you. Also, as someone who went from 26% Body Fat to 9% (44 pounds less), I can tell you that other then looks, you will feel fantastic and nothing will feel hard to do. You are shedding another person off of your back after all. You will be gliding around and nothing would feel like a chore.

Remember, Diet Coke is not an excuse to eat mars bars and fried chicken.

Also birth control at 17? Condoms exist for a reason.

Deleted
    Just cut down on food if you have allready maybe cut down more ive been days with out food and still alive the next day.
    do some works outs my fav work out is when I go down stairs is to run up and down them sad I know but burns some calories.
    or take the dog for a walk when you see there are no humans in sight just go abit crazy jump about roll on the floor saves paying for a gym and all that

Also you are lucky losing weight costs nothing try putting it on when you are skinny and poor and now matter what you eat you stay like a stick
    Last edited by mmoc8e13fe598c; 2013-03-01 at 02:50 AM.

so basically ive been over weight my entire life. im a 17 year old girl, 5'2, 260 pounds. the thing is im starting my senior year of highschool next year and i dont want to look like a blob in my pictures. Im not super unhealthy(according to my doctor) but i want to lose weight before it turns into a problem for my health. i thought i would start running/jogging 5 days a week, with strength and abs training too. i wanted to know if this is a good idea. i know how to eat healthy because i do that now. my biggest problem is that i eat at night right before bed. im also on a birthcontrol that makes is much easier to gain weight. I gained about 60 pounds in a year since i got the shot. if you guys could give me some workout ideas, or some advice it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much(:
    While some people will freak out at the idea ... try low carb dieting.

Reddit has an /r/keto subreddit that helped me with my weight loss considerably. I struggled with weight gain and yo-yoing almost my whole life. At my best I was running 5 miles a day 3-4 days a week and kept in excellent shape. At my worst I weighed 460 pounds. Absolutely read all the information in the sidebar and decide if it's for you. It may look like an OMG I CAN EAT BACON AND LOSE WEIGHT diet, but it's really not. It's about finding a way to balance satiety and your caloric intake while helping your body lose weight. You'll still have to exercise, you'll have to watch your nutrient macros and take vitamins, and carbs are tempting as all get out because they are *everywhere* ... but I lost 100 pounds in 14 months, with 3-4 of those being off keto for various reasons.

Again, and I can't stress this enough, read EVERYTHING and talk to your doctor before committing to it. Sign up and stay active in the community. Once you get close to your goal weight you can even switch to a different style of keto diet for building muscle or a paleo diet for maintaining.

And try to remember that weight loss is an entirely personal thing. What works for one person will not always work for someone else, and dieting and weight loss are not a textbook science. New information is coming out on an almost daily basis, and for every one study that says something is the right way to do it there are three more proving it wrong.

I wish you the best of luck. Wanting to make the change is the most important step. Never giving up is a very close second.
    Evangelyna
    Maintankadin for SWARM

Quote Originally Posted by Maleficia View Post

But that's exactly why I drink diet Sprite and water!! (and lipton's diet citrus green tea. fucking delicious)

---------- Post added 2013-02-28 at 09:24 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Nachos87 View Post

-learn to count calories
    -zig-zag calorie intake
    -increasing cardio with time in order to stop your body adjusting.
    -5-7 small meals to speed up your metabolism
    etc.

My type of girl is skinny one and I can already see you with 130 pounds less even though I don't know you. Also, as someone who went from 26% Body Fat to 9% (44 pounds less), I can tell you that other then looks, you will feel fantastic and nothing will feel hard to do. You are shedding another person off of your back after all. You will be gliding around and nothing would feel like a chore.

Not to be offensive... But I would suggest not doing this.
    You do not need a book, all information is freely available on the internet.
    The rest of why most of this stuff is silly is over this thread and another thread.
    Also, it's all on the internet.

Never buy a book, they all promise some revolutionary new diet when it's all the same, eat clean, eat healthy, count calories.
    Some books give a specific diet, such as specific food to eat. But, in general, so useless.

Cardio more than 3-4 times a week is not dangerous for your health.

Google some healthy recipes, ask your mom to help you lose weight. She can start cooking healthier. Etcetera.
    Going to a gym is great! But you need to know what you want to do as a workout. Google helps here too.
    There are numerous exercise websites.
    I would suggest starting off on an elliptical and/or a bike machine for cardio, do that for 30 minutes a day at a moderate pace.
    I would suggest strengthening your core (your torso) because it's the most important part of strength training.
    Strengthen arms, back, and legs. They're also important, but your core is just the most important thing.

I'm tired now.

I never said she should buy a book. I told her to find it on the internet.
    As someone who is doing bodybuilding for 5 years now and knows a thing or two about exercising and eating right, I'm recommending this book. There are so much bullshit on the internet and you can easily do the wrong thing and see no results or hurt yourself.

Find the book, read it and do what it says.

Quote Originally Posted by Maleficia View Post

Someone called a Doctor? Here I am! Birth control isn't just used to prevent pregnancy, it's also used to help women with other things, that I won't go into.

But ya any type of soda is bad.

And guys, I don't really think she intends to start running. There's just no way she can do that with her body frame. It's just not possible. Well, it's not sustainable at least and shell give up. Just assume she's going to be walking.

Quote Originally Posted by Nachos87 View Post
    I never said she should buy a book. I told her to find it on the internet.
    As someone who is doing bodybuilding for 5 years now and knows a thing or two about exercising and eating right, I'm recommending this book. There are so much bullshit on the internet and you can easily do the wrong thing and see no results or hurt yourself.

Find the book, read it and do what it says.

When i saw "eat 5-7 times a day" I stopped reading.
    There is no science between eating multiple times a day vs eating once per day. The sources for this are all over the other weight loss threads on this website. I don't feel like pulling one up, but it's a gimmick diet that is just SILLY bad. Made up by someone who felt they could sell a lot of books by having something this bad. It does NOT increase metabolism.
    When I saw doing cardio more than 3-4 times per week can be harmful to your health, I felt you lost any validity to your sources.
    Professional athletes dp cardio for several hours 6-7 times a week. Some fighters do cardio for 6-7 hours a day 6-7 times a week, WHILE DIETING. Cardio is not harmful to your health, you just need to know how to eat properly.

---------- Post added 2013-02-28 at 09:50 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Someone called a Doctor? Here I am! Birth control isn't just used to prevent pregnancy, it's also used to help women with other things, that I won't go into.

But ya any type of soda is bad.

And guys, I don't really think she intends to start running. There's just no way she can do that with her body frame. It's just not possible. Well, it's not sustainable at least and shell give up. Just assume she's going to be walking.
    Diet soda rocks -.-
    I will fight you irl over this.
    Actually, just diet lemon lime or citrus soda rocks.

And yea, birth control is used by many females for other reasons than ... birth.. control...
    It sounds silly, but it's not!

After high school, without having gym classes, I gained a lot of weight. Just recently I lost about 30 pounds very easily. I don't excercise because I don't have a lot of extra time and I'm not motivated to exercise at all. So how did I do it? All I did was cut out fast food and pop. I drink propel water (the 20 ounce bottles that come in big packs from costco). They taste good and are zero calories. I still eat candy bars, ice cream, and crap like that. I just don't eat fast food. I lost 30 pounds in about 3 months and I feel awesome now without my belly.

Deleted
    cheaper to drink out the tap nothing better then abit of council pop if you down it in one you cant even taste it add 2 slices a day and thats all you need
    though I will agree toast gets boring lately been splashing out on my welfare I buy the smallish potatos and greens beans like long green things and 2 bacon
    thats all I eat in a day then and its easy to cook put the gas on slap on 2 pans put in potatos and greens beans in lets them boil then cook the bacon
    if I have behaved myself mite buy a babybel cheese

One thing American weight loss/nutrition/etc pseudoscientists don't understand is burning even few calories through exercise is very difficult, but eating less and low calorie foods is very easy. e.g. 1 cookie is 130 calories and you have to run for 15 minutes to burn that 130 calories. If you eat 8 cookies, that's 2 hours of running. You can't and won't do that. 1 big mac is 1 hour of running. Not worth eating high calorie food and then hoping you will burn it.

Quote Originally Posted by Demonakat View Post
    When i saw "eat 5-7 times a day" I stopped reading.
    There is no science between eating multiple times a day vs eating once per day. The sources for this are all over the other weight loss threads on this website. I don't feel like pulling one up, but it's a gimmick diet that is just SILLY bad. Made up by someone who felt they could sell a lot of books by having something this bad. It does NOT increase metabolism.
    When I saw doing cardio more than 3-4 times per week can be harmful to your health, I felt you lost any validity to your sources.
    Professional athletes dp cardio for several hours 6-7 times a week. Some fighters do cardio for 6-7 hours a day 6-7 times a week, WHILE DIETING. Cardio is not harmful to your health, you just need to know how to eat properly.[COLOR="red"]
    Oh, that's great news! I guess I should tell this to my heart which I damaged with doing cardio 6 days a week 1.5 hours a day. Even though I had an immense fitness and increased the duration slowly over 6 month period. Now I can't lift weights that are heavier then half of my weight.

Also, she is far from professional athlete (lol) and doing too much cardio too soon will get her body adapted too quickly.

Doesn't matter if eating frequently increases metabolism or not. Eating 300 calories 6 times a day is much better then eating 900 calories 2 times a day. Period.

10+ Year Old Account
    "All sugars gone, manually!

I need to lose 20 more pounds or I'll never be pretty!"

Just watch your calorie/fat/cholesterol intake. Look at serving sizes and nutritional value in products. If it's not water and has none, stay away from it. Try to eat foods that are filling to avoid snacking more. Avoid artificial sweeteners (sucralose, aspartame, acesulfame potassium, etc) unless you're diabetic. There's no reason to substitute what you're trying to avoid in the first place. Replace it instead with fruits, vegetables, grains, and water.

Diet, Low Sodium, and Low Fat are warning labels as far as I'm concerned. You gotta check if the product replaces instead of removes. Most replace by adding more flavor content (sugar, artificial sweeteners, etc) or "fluff" (chemicals you wish you didn't know about).

Take stairs instead of elevators/escalators, walk instead of ride, do some stretches when you wake up and while you're waiting. Don't take the extra mile to be lazy, take the extra mile to be healthier.

Replacing your diet isn't always the solution. Simply eating less helps more often then not. Most people aren't willing to do this. If you don't have the time to work off the calories, eat less.

Ultimately if you're unsure of your nutritional balance, ask your doctor for some bloodwork to find out.
    There are no bathrooms, only Zuul.

10+ Year Old Account
    watch

Fat, Sick and nearly Dead its on netflix it will give you all the info you need. good luck