Page 1 of 11
... LastLast

Best Final Fantasy game to start out with?

TL;DR title says it all

I am looking to start playing the Final Fantasy games series and i was wondering what game would be the most optimal to start out with. I heard a lot of positive things about FF7, while others say that its more nostalgia than an actual great game.

Give me your 2 cents, i will appreciate it

15+ Year Old Account
    i'd say start with 10. its old by todays standards, but not as ancient as 7 or the other ones. My personal favorite was 9 but thats harder to find nowadays

10+ Year Old Account
    10 is a great start.

4 got a few remastered version in the last couple of years you can find on multiple handheld platforms, it's pretty easy to get into.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

Deleted
    I didn't play any of them before 7. 7 was AMAZING and still my favourite game. It isn't visually appealing in any sense of the word, but it's incredibly good gameplay. 8 was a big jump in graphics and was also great gameplay. 9 was probably the best storyline. 10 was also brilliant. I haven't played any other of them yet.

FF8 or FF10 would be my suggestions. I was not fond of FF9... not sure why I just hated it, definitely one of my least favorite FF games.

I actually just bought new copies of FFX and FFX-2 along with the PS2 I bought. I can't wait to replay them but I have so much other crap to do first. lol

It really depends on what you want in a game.

If you want a more newer generation game, go for FFX. If you want a more retro game, go for FF VII. If you want a classic NES game, go for FF IV.

7 is overrated and 8 is complete crap, 6 was great, 9 was amazing, 10 was fine. I'd start with 9.

Quote Originally Posted by Atherions View Post
    TL;DR title says it all

I am looking to start playing the Final Fantasy games series and i was wondering what game would be the most optimal to start out with. I heard a lot of positive things about FF7, while others say that its more nostalgia than an actual great game.

Give me your 2 cents, i will appreciate it
    I would say 7 "my fav" or 10 to me anything after 10 was junk even X-2.

FF7 is my fav game of all time and I have beat it many times over and its spin off games like the PSP/Ps2 spin offs. I personally liked the story and gameplay but as I said as well FFX is also a really good game.

FF8 is ok but is slow for the first half of the game.
    and
    FF9 is slow for 3/4 of the game. "at lease to me"

Really just try any FF from 1-10 FF11 is shit FFX-2 was a really bad spin off and 12-13 just don't feel like a final fantasy game.

Also to add if you want to try a game that feels like final fantasy but isn't try Lost Odyssey its a great RPG made by the original maker of Final Fantasy 1-10.

After FFX was made the main guy left and made his own company then made Lost Odyssey.

The story has its interesting points and is a turn base RPG like the original Final Fantasy games.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by Glasse View Post
    7 is overrated and 8 is complete crap, 6 was great, 9 was amazing, 10 was fine. I'd start with 9.
    Dat bias, anyways, start out with any of the ''big'' ones imo which means FF VI up to X all those are really superb games IV and V are good too but anything before IV has super shallow story

I'd recommend 10 as well. It can be played as simply or as complex as you want to make it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glasse View Post
    I agree about 7 but 8 was great and 9 to me was awful.

I would say starting with the older versions would be better....if you start with 10, then most likely you want be able to look past the graphics of anything before it. My personal favorite is 7, hated 8, didn't play 9, and 10 was great as well (didn't love it at the time though because it is so much more linear than FF games before it).

FF7 was a good game, but not as good as the other FF games. FF3(6) and 9 were the best games in terms of story, characters, music. If you go with 3, do not get the Ds version, that's a different FF3. The one your looking for is the one with characters Terra, Locke, and Kefka.

Some info:

Reason I say FF3 is the best of the games. Music wise, it's amazing. Lot's of great unforgettable tracks to it, especially the opera event that is second to nothing. It's got a great story line, and even veers into several different stories all playing at the same time that you can choose from separately. Play through it, then choose another. It has the most amount of playable main characters then the other games at 14. The battle system is great from Setzers slots, to Sabins combo attacks. Relms ability to copy enemies through paint, and Gogo the Mimic.

Kefka, the main villain, is also the only villain of the FF series to wreak havoc just to do it. Can't say much else, cause I would spoil it. The other villains of the game are great as well. General Leo, and Ultros the octopuss(hillarious enemy).

FF9:

Gameplay was great for this game as well. Biggest issue though is the trance system. Many times one of the characters will end up trancing at the end of a fight causing it to be wasted. There's a great opera type scene, where you have to sword fight for spectators and you get a score based on how well you did resulting in kool stuff. This was very fun. FF9, like 8, has a card game in it. I loved the card games for both but 9 was the better game, it's strategy was more involved cause of how you can place cards, and I still say some of those games were rigged I played. lol Speaking of battle, Steiner and Vivi also combine their powers to together on Stieners turn, this was a fun moment in the game when Steiner came up with that idea. This game as several mini games through it from the Card game, the sword fight, even a beast killing contest.

The characters are great, Garnet(Dagger) and Vivi's stories are the best parts, more so Vivi's. Quina, the comedy relief character, is very fun to play with cause he eats enemies. The main villain Kuja is a fantastic enemy, and reminds me a little of Kefka.

Thats all I have to say, if you have any other questions you can PM me.
    If what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger. Then I should be a god by now.

9 is my favorite in the series I would play this one first.
    not many would reccomend this one to you but I really liked FF13-2 I place it as my second favorite FF game eithar of thos
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc-...A-wvKAaFacq_gA
    Check out my youtube channel for WoW lore videos and more!

Deleted
    I'd say that while FF7 is a good game, it's still kinda overrated and made out to be something it simply is not. But it's understandable since it was the first FF game that came PS and a lot more people got introduced to the series.

FF8 is an odd one I guess, it seems either you love it or you kinda hate it. Personally I think it's great.

FF9 is fantastic (imo), but it was also my first FF, so my opinion might be a bit biased, but I really do think it's great.

FF10 is also a good game, it's a bit more straight forward than the games above, since there's no "open world". But I think it works really well anyway.

Basically what I'm trying to say is, play the 4 games above (7-9 is PS1, 10 is on PS2). I'd say start with 9 or 10, then play the one you didn't start with out of those two, then play 7, then play 8.

10+ Year Old Account
    Depends on your tolerance for age. If you don't mind playing older games, I'd say start with FFVI, then just work your way up numerically. Choose your own favorite instead of listening to what other people say.

Quote Originally Posted by aikoyamamato View Post
    Depends on your tolerance for age. If you don't mind playing older games, I'd say start with FFVI, then just work your way up numerically. Choose your own favorite instead of listening to what other people say.
    Why 6 instead of 4? I actually think 4 is better than 6. Then again, I don't think 6 is really all that great. Just curious if there's a reason you'd have him skip 4.

10+ Year Old Account
    4 and 6. Great games. Nothing too crazy in them. My top 2 Final Fantasy games.

I think the story and feeling of 9 still stands out the best (as long as you ignore Necron). Anything above and including IV is worth playing though, but the games can differ a lot from each other.

10+ Year Old Account
    10 is very newb-friendly. As long as you play the North American version.