Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    10 is cool but i also have to suggest 13 and 13-2 just because 13-3 is coming soon, the new ones a very simple to learn and can be considered the basics for the other games
    i live by one motto! "lolwut?"

10+ Year Old Account
    FF 9 is my fav. Main FF series, and I don't remember any really hard stuff to deal with.
    Try FF 6 otherwise.

My personal favorites were 8/9, but 10 and 10 two werent too bad, not a fan of seven tbh.

I'd say start with 6 and work your way up to XIII-2. 1-5 can be avoided. They're not bad, but I just couldn't get into them. I started with 6 so I'm probably being biased here, but still. 6 and up. Good stuff.

Edit: Oh yeah, and 9 is my favorite. 8 is a close second.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grading View Post
    You are ALL WRONG!

Everyone knows that it's Theatrhythm Final Fantasy that's the best FF game of ALL TIME!

(I'm joking btw. Haven't even played it.)
    I have it on the 3DS.

It's a horrible horrible addiction. Stunning game.
    Ex-Mod. Technically retired, they just won't let me quit.

Also Tactics, because that game is the best, but its so fuckin hard!

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    OP has mentioned that he's started with FF6 already :P hence maybe this discussion could turn into what he can play next. muahahaha. Seriously though OP, if you were open enough to start on 6, then you could go either way from there. Just try em all and see which ones you end up loving

Quote Originally Posted by A Day to Remember View Post
    Also Tactics, because that game is the best, but its so fuckin hard!
    Try FFT-Hackticks 1.3 if you want a difficult tactics game.

FFVIII first, FFIX second, FFX third. Don't touch FFVII as it is a pile of crap.
    Bow down before our new furry overlords!

Quote Originally Posted by fender010 View Post
    I don't understand why people like 8, that game was the anus of the FF series.
    Opinions. People have different ones every once in a while.

I have played every single FF title, as well as great games like Legends of Dragoon, Chrono Trigger and Cross. Hands down I would say that FF7 is by far the best title simply because of the in depth story and character development that keeps your attention the whole time. What kills it for a lot of people is the graphics of a game that came out in 1997 which is indeed OLD by game standards. Ive tried to really get into FF 6 and though it is a great story, Its just not my favorite and Kefka annoys me so much I want to curb stomp the game. ALSO though I dont really 100% support G4 top 100 video games of all time, FF7 was the closest to number 1 than the rest. I mean cmon, It has Sephiroth, we all know we thought he looked so cool.

7 has the most love of the entire series and for good reason.
    It was the first I played and the one I like most to this day.
    News | Forum Guidelines | MMO Champion IRC | Free Games List
    Playing: Guild Wars 2 | APB: Reloaded
    -I don't care what the next expansion is about, as long as the story is dark and rich so I can refer to it as Chocolate WoW.

Not sure why so many bash 7, everything 9 and after felt too childish for me as if Square made the decision to move towards a younger audience with less militant stories.

Personally I'd just play them in order starting with 3/6 (I'm currently playing it on my snes emulator) > VII > VIII > IX > X > etc
    Awdi - US Illidan
    SlamAndAwe (Warriors)
    ShockAndAwe (Enhancement Shamans)

Quote Originally Posted by reighnman View Post
    Not sure why so many bash 7, everything 9 and after felt too childish for me as if Square made the decision to move towards a younger audience with less militant stories.
    You're kidding right? In Final Fantasy IX, Brahne basically declared war on every other kingdom. Alexandria either wiped out or invaded 3 nations. Besides that, I don't really see any childish themes in X; self-sacrifice, questioning your religion, and fighting against church/establishment's manipulation of people's fear aren't exactly the stuff that common bedtime stories are made of.

People bash on 7 because it's graphics haven't aged well at all and the story is a bit confusing and a tad weird in that peculiar japanese way.

Start with the classics, 4 or 6. If/when you get to the later ones you have a better idea of how the series got to where it is. From there you could hit any of 7 8 or 10.

The whole point of 9 is that its supposed to be nostalgia inducing. It is supposed to go back to the roots of the series. Thus if you haven't played the earlier games, 9 loses a lot of its purpose. This makes it a poor starting point.

Opinion is too split on 11+, I wouldn't suggest any of those as an entry point.

Quote Originally Posted by Aertea View Post
    Start with the classics, 4 or 6. If/when you get to the later ones you have a better idea of how the series got to where it is. From there you could hit any of 7 8 or 10.

The whole point of 9 is that its supposed to be nostalgia inducing. It is supposed to go back to the roots of the series. Thus if you haven't played the earlier games, 9 loses a lot of its purpose. This makes it a poor starting point.

Opinion is too split on 11+, I wouldn't suggest any of those as an entry point.
    ehh, you wouldn't get nostalgia from 9 unless you plays 1, 2(j), 3(j) and 5.

9 is a good game without the nostalgia factor and easily the most refined FF of the ps1 era.

2 and 3 for the SNES. I still fire up my SNES at least once a year to beat both of them. Also dont play on an Emulator. Play the real thing. I still have the one I got as a kid 20 over years ago and it still works just fine

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Laurcus View Post
    7 Is not noob friendly. The enemies between Midgar and Junon can mess up a party that's as high as 20 if you aren't expecting the burst damage they can do. 10 Is by far the most noob friendly, as most boss fights can be won just by having your Aeon's overdrives ready and nuking. The only bosses that require a strategy or decent stats are, spoilers for game bosses Seymour Natus, Seymour Flux, the Sanctuary Keeper and Yunalesca. And those are all mid-late game bosses. 7 has plenty of early bosses and enemies that can fuck you up if you don't spend some time leveling or you aren't particularly smart about materia combinations.
    Yeah, you can prepare for them with Overdrives if you have played the damn game before and have the foresight to pull it off. But you could say the same damn thing about FF7 with limits so that argument is moot imo. As for Midgar - Junon being hard....are you joking? The only moment that could maybe be considered difficult there is the serpent in the marsh and that's if you're stupid enough to attempt and fight him (which I did after I took the chocobo across and realized Sephiroth owns him, I failed miserably and it was funny).

I played FF7 for the first time in my life around this time last year and it was a cake walk, I hardly remember dying (not one boss felled me on my first try, that I can remember of). The first time I remember ever thinking "oh this is difficult" is when I ran into the mobs underwater where you run into the Turks, but even then I managed to not die and come back and have my way with them (slowly but surely) but it didn't compare to Omega Ruins in FFX for example. I never grinded but being somewhat of a completionist I tried to get the most out of it that I could. This means, I never got strong enough to kill Emerald and Ruby weapon (grinding it tedious, nothx) and I never found the Knights of the round summon or the Xcut materia and yet I still managed to one shot JENOVA and both of Sephiroths forms.

Sorry, but I didn't find the game to be difficult and it's combat was shallow imo compared to the later installments that I had played (which are FFX, FFX-2, and FFXIII in that order). I understand why the game got such high praise in its time and I really enjoyed it but when people try and tell me that shit is hard I can't help but laugh.

And if I necro'd this thread, sorry
    "Didn't we have some fun...though? Remember when the platform was sliding into the fire pit and I said 'Goodbye' and you were like 'No way' and then I was all 'We pretended we were going to murder you'......that was great"