Poll: Do you think Turkey should one day join the EU?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 32 of 33 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by rottenpen View Post
    so what you imply is that when you invade a county ppl there should welcome you with a cup of tea like every gentleman would do? what savages are the Cypriots and Greeks right? 2 months after the invasion of Cyprus they dared to pilage rape and fuck the invader what savages indeed

sarcasm of and in more serius note if i had the chanse i would make bloodbath with the blood of pricks like you and by saying you i dont mean Turks i have many friends from Istanmbul and Izmir but with pricks that they try to jastify the unjastify
    That shows they are not white hats either. The Greeks deserved the invasion, and keeping the island.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by artemishunter1 View Post
    That shows they are not white hats either. The Greeks deserved the invasion, and keeping the island.
    why exactly we deserved it ? cause i said i will do a bloodbath with someone that will invade to my country? i guess if you where in my plase you whould get your pants off and bend over right ?
    Last edited by mmoc209c357abe; 2014-02-20 at 06:21 AM.

If everyone joins whats the point of the eu?.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, it should not. It shares about as many values with Europe as America does, probably less.

While I'm at it, the Ukraine shouldn't join either.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Deleted
    One day, yes. After they have:
    -Tidied up their economy as the current treaties demand.
    -Respect Cypriot sovereignty.
    -Recognise the rights of the Kurd people (either through independence or through a decentralized regime that allows them to sustain their culture).
    -Own up to the Armenian genocide.

Turkey is culturally a part of Europe, since Europe existed as an idea. The history of the Anatolian peninsula and the rest of Europe have influenced mutually too deeply, to consider it otherwise.
    But they have a lot of stuff to clean up. The sooner, the better.

Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    Is this a necro of epic proportions or is it me hallucinating?
    I wonder how he even found an almost year old post. Was he searching for "EU" and "Turkey" or something?

I'd be more interested to see how the Turks themselves feel about joining or not joining the EU. Has there been a country-wide poll done on this in Turkey? I'm from Ukraine and it is a country heavily divided over joining the EU but it is divided fairly evenly along a geographic line (most of the Western and some central regions are for joining, most of the south, center, east and north are against). And the way things are going now with the riots, the entire country might be dragged into the EU whether we like it or not through a forced seizing of central government power.

Edit: Well, I should add that it seems that noone even really wants us in the EU anyway, but they keep holding it in front of the people like a carrot on the stick ("just implement austerity, just raise tariffs for the population, just release this oligarch from jail, and we'll totally let you join, someday, maybe.") I hope that more conscientious citizens of EU countries can understand that it is undemocratic to not let the people of the country vote for these types of important decisions in a nation-wide referendum.
    Last edited by Nanotech; 2014-02-20 at 10:46 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by nightstalkerr View Post
    I hope they never join. No offense, but there are already enough muslims. (not racist, but it is getting an issue)
    Actually, infact, that could be considered Islamophobic, which leads to racism.

how can a turkey negotiate?
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nanotech View Post
    I'd be more interested to see how the Turks themselves feel about joining or not joining the EU. Has there been a country-wide poll done on this in Turkey? I'm from Ukraine and it is a country heavily divided over joining the EU but it is divided fairly evenly along a geographic line (most of the Western and some central regions are for joining, most of the south, center, east and north are against). And the way things are going now with the riots, the entire country might be dragged into the EU whether we like it or not through a forced seizing of central government power.

Edit: Well, I should add that it seems that noone even really wants us in the EU anyway, but they keep holding it in front of the people like a carrot on the stick ("just implement austerity, just raise tariffs for the population, just release this oligarch from jail, and we'll totally let you join, someday, maybe.") I hope that more conscientious citizens of EU countries can understand that it is undemocratic to not let the people of the country vote for these types of important decisions in a nation-wide referendum.
    That's an interesting point of view and one we don't hear THAT often over here. The media depict the Ukrainian people as united against the pro Russian government. Go figure.
    Garbage media is garbage.

I actually wonder myself if turkey feels like joining in the situation they found themselves in and the situation we find ourselves in

That's an interesting point of view and one we don't hear THAT often over here. The media depict the Ukrainian people as united against the pro Russian government. Go figure.

I actually wonder myself if turkey feels like joining in the situation they found themselves in and the situation we find ourselves in
    Media is garbage everywhere. Ukrainian people are very far from a homogenous group sharing the same political opinions and vision for the future. While it is true that there is a significant number of Ukrainians who support joining the EU, they are in no way a clear majority. The fact that this isn't being shown in any objective way is proof enough that the media tows the line of a certain political agenda.

To top it off, many people who do support joining the EU, do so because they labor under the assumption that they will be allowed to immediately overnight travel to the EU visa free, work there, earn the same wages as Europeans etc. Which, as you can probably guess, is not at all what would happen EVEN IF Ukraine were to sign the association papers. And I'm pretty sure the majority of EU citizens are not excited about the prospects of hundreds of thousands or millions of Ukrainians flooding into their countries looking for work or handouts if they cannot find work.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bolson13 View Post
    I wonder how he even found an almost year old post. Was he searching for "EU" and "Turkey" or something?
    i guess with the same way that you found it aslo

15+ Year Old Account

There's the media and there's also history. Given the latter it makes sense to expect a division between East and West at least.

As for Ukraine joining the EU: I am against it. With the recent events I am also now against Turkey joining. We don't need add more mess to our own.
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) & Neesheya (Paladin) @ Sylvanas EU (/ˈkaZHo͞oəl/) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

He seeks them here, he seeks them there, he seeks those lupins everywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenblade View Post
    There's the media and there's also history. Given the latter it makes sense to expect a division between East and West at least.

As for Ukraine joining the EU: I am against it. With the recent events I am also now against Turkey joining. We don't need add more mess to our own.
    You see, the thing is in Ukraine the media don't show anything about the mess the EU has on its hands currently. In the minds of most people here the EU is paradise on Earth, with plentiful jobs, very high wages, very high welfare etc. That's why so many of them want to not just have Ukraine join, but to then leave Ukraine and move to the Western EU countries. I myself was surprised by seeing homelessness and poverty in places like Paris or Berlin, because I also grew up under the assumption that there simply were no homeless, destitute people in Western Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by rottenpen View Post
    i guess with the same way that you found it aslo
    Oh, on the first page of the G OT forum??? I don't think so.

Deleted
    You see, the thing is in Ukraine the media don't show anything about the mess the EU has on its hands currently. In the minds of most people here the EU is paradise on Earth, with plentiful jobs, very high wages, very high welfare etc. That's why so many of them want to not just have Ukraine join, but to then leave Ukraine and move to the Western EU countries. I myself was surprised by seeing homelessness and poverty in places like Paris or Berlin, because I also grew up under the assumption that there simply were no homeless, destitute people in Western Europe.
    In a lot of places it is, if you consider other alternatives. Over here we have a lot of people from Eastern Europe working in construction, cleaning, retirment homes and nursing. Simply because those are jobs that indigenous population don't want to do.

I did a lot of jobs where I had to work together with immigrants (from very different etniticies), the great majority of them are very enjoyable hardworking people.

Quote Originally Posted by JfmC View Post
    In a lot of places it is, if you consider other alternatives. Over here we have a lot of people from Eastern Europe working in construction, cleaning, retirment homes and nursing. Simply because those are jobs that indigenous population don't want to do.

I did a lot of jobs where I had to work together with immigrants (from very different etniticies), the great majority of them are very enjoyable hardworking people.
    And I have no issue with letting them leave here and go to the EU, especially if you're ready to welcome them. In my opinion, whatever happens, Ukraine will be split up. I know I'll be called a separatist for saying this, but in my view that is the only way to restore any sort of balance, and to do the will of the people, not the will of one region over everyone else. Democracy doesn't say whoever can kill the most cops and burn the most buildings wins.

Quote Originally Posted by jotabe View Post
    Turkey is culturally a part of Europe, since Europe existed as an idea. The history of the Anatolian peninsula and the rest of Europe have influenced mutually too deeply, to consider it otherwise.
    The territory of Anatolia was culturally a part of Europe, before the Turks migrated there. Their empire has been an anchor keeping that region in the middle ages ever since they came from Asia and it still is.

15+ Year Old Account
    The EU is far from all sunshine & rainbows, it's however not exactly hell on Earth either. What it is supposed to be is a trade union with political ambitions dominated primarily by Berlin and Paris. Its order has been consolidated long ago even though reforms are supposed to break it up and liberalize them they are far from there yet. There's also a massive lot of expectations by the EU in regards of what new members have to fulfil which means once you are a member you have to fulfil a lot strict criteria and agree to certain principles and long-term goals. The EU also has due to a policy of lack of foresight and pragmatism which it both replaced by zeal instead and a reversal of the cause-and-effect principle namely by putting the Euro in front of it all caused some self-inflicted damage. Overall I'd rather wait and maintain a closer relationship like Switzerland and Norway first before committing to the step of joining. Especially if there's homework and some chores to do first. Once people accept this reality they may get over premature EUphoria and EUphobia altogether. They may just realize that EU also just boils their stuff with water.
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) & Neesheya (Paladin) @ Sylvanas EU (/ˈkaZHo͞oəl/) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

He seeks them here, he seeks them there, he seeks those lupins everywhere!

Deleted
    And I have no issue with letting them leave here and go to the EU, especially if you're ready to welcome them. In my opinion, whatever happens, Ukraine will be split up. I know I'll be called a separatist for saying this, but in my view that is the only way to restore any sort of balance, and to do the will of the people, not the will of one region over everyone else. Democracy doesn't say whoever can kill the most cops and burn the most buildings wins.
    The problem with splitting Ukraine is that the people from the east and the west are very intermingled. Contrary to popular belief there is no real border that you can draw.