Thread: BG Help

Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1
    Blademaster Bootyraider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    British Columbia Bitches!
    Posts
    27

    BG Help

    Hi Everyone,

    I Put a post on WOW today looking for some help (the post is BG Killing Blows).

    I Need some help with killing blows. I cannot seem to make them connect in battle grounds.

    Right now I'm doing well over 2 mill in damage and always end up in the top 3 for damage however I cannot seem to connect with killing blows (highest mebbe 6 or 7). I realize most of the work I do out there is crowd control but a few more killing blows would be nice and I don't know if that's a right-place-at-the-right-time thing.. if its my armor, if its my weapon, if its my rotation, etc.

    Any thoughts/help/suggestions is appreciated and bare with me cuz I'm just REALLY starting to get into PVP after years and years of PVE.

    Thanks!
    Booty <3

  2. #2
    My best advice would be (unless it's 1v1 and you're fighting for your life) hold onto runes to be able to do an obliterate when your targets health is getting low - say 10% or so. That way you know you can land a hard hitting attack that should finish them off especially if you get a KM.

    Assuming you're frost. If you're unholy, then find 1 on 1 fights or pray that soul reaper is timed nicely.

  3. #3
    Blademaster Bootyraider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    British Columbia Bitches!
    Posts
    27
    Yes, okay this makes a lot of sense - Awesome! I will give that shot. Thank you sooo much!!!

  4. #4
    I would advise something similar, but the way I tend to corner people into situations where I can easily beat them is that, most classes, when you think about it, and most players, will save an emergency heal until they're low so to counter that, stack up necrotic strike to a point where your enemy will think they still have a fail safe to heal, but in reality, when they use that heal, it will do nothing, and you'll have them at a low amount of HP ready to Obliterate them.

    My gameplay against most players revolves around using procs and necrotic strike as my main damage source until about 40% and if they have no healer, by the time they're at 40%, there will be a healing absorb of 80-120k (depending on your damage, crits etc) and by then, since you know you're going to be using that killing machine proc to finish them, you ought to have one up or have one saved.

    Blood Tap is great if you're not using it; it removes the randomness of the runes and you choose when to use them. A lot of 'new to pvp' DKs don't use necrotic strike, but one of the best abilities in our locker, so don't forget about it.

    The last thing is to remember that when you're getting close to that killzone of an enemys hp, silence is a really powerful tool, moreso on healers. I'll link a pvp video I made to demonstrate that; it's only like 5 minutes long, but there's 2 situations where I lock healers out of healing and am stacking necro on them, so they can't heal, and they can't receive healing from anyone else, so they die.

    Also, this won't be the same for everyone, but I don't use soul reaper at all and generally tend to do pretty well in bgs.



    I hope this helps a bit, but mainly this is my opinion and it might not necessarily correct, but it works for me most of the time.

  5. #5
    Blademaster Bootyraider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    British Columbia Bitches!
    Posts
    27
    Thank you for your reply Veej So Funny - I Armoried/GuildOxed your toons yesterday while I was at work LOL

    I Agree. I Used Obliterate last night the way you guys suggested and your usage for when to use it, worked far better than the way I had been using it before. I Also use Necrotic strike often too but didn't realize the proper way I should also be using that. As for Blood Tap, I'm currently spec'd to Runic Empowerment, but might give that a try for a week and see how I do. Now if I could only get my Healers Have to Die addon to start working again (laugh).

    Thank you again for your video and your advice as well. This has been very helpful. A lot of what you're saying also makes sense and luckily I have a good group to do a lot of testing with. I have been trying your new things and with your help I am doing a LOT better than before. And as always, everything is practice, practice, practice. It's nice to know I can come here and get some REAL help when I need it!

    Cheers!!
    Booty <3

  6. #6
    at lvl 90, how is 2 mil dmg done good? I don't wanna be a douche xD but generally 10-20millon + is good and just use those KM procs for obliterate as wise as you can. Soul reaper I never use as frost but alot as unholy. A tip, macro in blood tap into frost strike. Use trinket + pillar of frost when you get those KM proccs and you'll see high numbers for dmg only use obliterate, frost strike, and howling blast when at range. Howling blast is what makes me skyrocket in dmg done.

  7. #7
    Etaine got me thinking - what affect does strength have on Obliterate? I can't for the life of me figure it out.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Regen View Post
    Etaine got me thinking - what affect does strength have on Obliterate? I can't for the life of me figure it out.

    Strength increases your AP which increases your min and max weapon damage with both auto attacks and normalized abilities such as obliterate.

  9. #9

  10. #10
    May I ask for what reason you want a high amount of killing blows?

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by gingerlemon View Post
    May I ask for what reason you want a high amount of killing blows?
    Doesn't more killing blows kind of relate to your overall performance in a bg?

    @bootyraider, I'm glad I could help!

  12. #12
    KB's is just an epeen measurement tbh, it doesn't grant you more honour and it doesn't give you any rewards beyond the cursory achievement stuff.

    If you're measuring performance in a bg purely by KB's then you should re-evaluate your pvp as there aren't any team DM style bg's out there (short of the odd AV maybe). Personally I think you should be more concerned with how effective you are at completing the goals; capping/defending bases etc.
    Last edited by Damyou; 2013-02-24 at 11:39 AM.

  13. #13
    That would help you win the BG, but imo top killing blows was the "best" PvPer. Maybe not the best BGer but...

  14. #14
    It depends what you're doing. If you're there for honour grinding then you want to be winning, and as quickly as possible but if you're just there because you're bored then I guess KB's is what you're after. Personally if i'm in a BG it's usually rated, and if it isn't i'm there for the honour so I want to be winning.

  15. #15
    If person A has 14mil dmg and 5 KBs while person B has 16 KBs and 3mil dmg, who do you think performed best?

  16. #16
    Person A with 14 mil dmg because asshole B was probably a warrior stacking rage and spamming execute as soon as target was at 50% health. although they are probably both baddies

    No seriously damage done is just as bad as Killing blows because not a single battleground is about DMG or KBs. I remember a bg where the other team was graveyard camping us, both flags where ready to cap, ours had an awesome heal with him and the other was alone. I stealthed there with my rogue, killed oposing team's flag carrier and won the bg. I still got more honor than (and conquest) than the enemy team even though I was at the bottom of the killing blow/damage done food chain.

    If all you want is Killing blows then I recommand dual wield frost or unholy and the reason is dots and auto attacks can steal killing blows. sometimes the enemy is just an inch of dying some dots and a execute goes of at the same time and the dots get the killing blow. I could steal killing blows on my rogue by just pooling energy and waiting till the enemy's last breath to use my 1 sec gcd to its fullest potential along with the fast auto attacks.

    Soul reaper as somebody said above is an extra chance to get a kb if you cast it when the enemy has 40% or 50% depending on how fast said target is getting bursted. Basically what you need to do is > 40 to 50% range soul reaper > auto attack > disease up> wait for 10% or less hp and spam your highest dmg ability (use cooldowns slighly before)
    Last edited by Damax; 2013-02-24 at 03:36 PM.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Makanprakan View Post
    If person A has 14mil dmg and 5 KBs while person B has 16 KBs and 3mil dmg, who do you think performed best?
    Hard to say seeing as unholy could run into a room in AV, spread diseases and watch the 10million damage roll in, but I'm pretty sure people get your point

    As with regards to killing blows, some classes don't have execute abilities (Druids, Mage, shaman and monk(lol 4 piece bonus is a joke, even blizzard have said if someone is at 10% they were probably dead anyway meaning they know it's superficial but their glove bonus more than makes up for it)) so have a harder time getting killing blows, it's not hard to press kill shot twice or shadow word death twice and get easy killing blows.

    In summery Damage done > Killing blows in nearly all situations

  18. #18
    High Overlord Symph's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Northern VA
    Posts
    125
    Quote Originally Posted by Regen View Post
    That would help you win the BG, but imo top killing blows was the "best" PvPer. Maybe not the best BGer but...
    When I played a warrior it didn't make me a good PvPer because I could run around and top KBs charging around with execute. Different classes excel at different things and different roles obviously have different outcomes on actual statistics. As most people know, DKs have amazing AoE pressure. If you can keep up spread damage while someone else gets a KB on one of the targets, it doesn't make them anymore useful or skilled than you because they hit their execute. Not saying DKs have a hard time getting KBs, just that KBs have little to no correlation with skill. They are nothing but an e-peen stat.

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by Etaine View Post
    A tip, macro in blood tap into frost strike.
    Macro'ing Blood Tap into Frost Strike completely defeats the purpose of Blood Tap. It's meant to be used on command, you pop it whenever you need a Death rune for something important. If you're just gonna use Blood Tap when you Frost Strike, you might as well be speccing into Runic Empowerment, because you're taking away the whole on-demand aspect of it. I mean looking at it from a PvP standpoint, if you absolutely have to macro it to something, I would suggest doing a:
    /cast Blood Tap
    /cast Necrotic Strike
    For those quick and easy Necros on the healer exactly when you want em.

    While I'm on the topic of Blood Tap, it's got me thinking. Obviously DW prefers it over any of the other abilities in that tier since they Frost Strike so often that they make great use of it, but how is the effectiveness of it on 2H? I'm personally running Runic Empowerment, but I've been thinking about experimenting with Blood Tap to have more control over a fight instead of leaving it up to RNG (however helpful that turns out to be).
    Last edited by Wumbology; 2013-02-25 at 06:59 AM.

  20. #20
    Blademaster Bootyraider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    British Columbia Bitches!
    Posts
    27
    Etaine: I was being modest at 2 mill I usually do 8-9 mill on a regular basis.

    Gingerlemon: I Don't "need" to get more KB's, but there was obviously something I was doing wrong only to get 2-3 per BG, with the changes I've made I'm get about 7+ now (and still tweaking).

    Damyou: I Don't have a huge epeen, I'm a girl LOL

    Again, thank you everyone Your assistance has made me a better player out in the killing fields and my arenas.

    Much Love!
    Booty <3

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •