Unicorn question

Hey I saw the unicorn build and like it, but I have 4 little questions about it.

Intel i7-3770K has a LGA1155 socket, will LGA1155 be good in a few years? Is LGA2011 newer?
    Are 8GB ram enough? Can someone recommend a 16GB ram? (2x8GB or 4x4GB)
    Can I buy a western Digital Caviar green instead of a caviar black, because I read that the black one is really loud?
    Can I use 2 monitors with this build? Would 2 x ASUS VW246H 24-Inch Monitor be ok? i don't want a hp monitor and 27inch is too much for me.

And 3 general questions:
    Is an ATX 2.0 mainboard better than a normal ATX, what is the difference?
    Should i get windows 7, i heard that windows 8 is not so good for pc?
    Is there any antivirus Programm which is not even worse than virus? xD (should update only when i allow it and didn't slow the pc too much)

10+ Year Old Account
    Intel i7-3770K has a LGA1155 socket, will LGA1155 be good in a few years? Is LGA2011 newer?
    2011 is for Intel Extreme. Don't bother with it. You get no benefit from it. You probably don't even need the i7 over the i5.

EDIT: I should add... Haswell is coming out soon. Socket 1150 will replace 1155, just as 1155 replaced 1156. However, a system purchased now will certainly last 3-4 years without an issue, if you're getting a system over $1200

Are 8GB ram enough? Can someone recommend a 16GB ram? (2x8GB or 4x4GB)
    Do you do anything that needs 16gb of ram? If the answer is "I dont know" then probably no.

Can I buy a western Digital Caviar green instead of a caviar black, because I read that the black one is really loud?
    Are you getting the SSD? If so, get the Blue/Green. Black is a waste of money

Can I use 2 monitors with this build? Would 2 x ASUS VW246H 24-Inch Monitor be ok? i don't want a hp monitor and 27inch is too much for me.
    I'm not familiar with specific monitor models, but yes, it supports two.

Is an ATX 2.0 mainboard better than a normal ATX, what is the difference?
    I'm not sure what you mean by this. Are you talking about power supplies? There's no "ATX 2.0" motherboards.

Should i get windows 7, i heard that windows 8 is not so good for pc?
    People saying Win8 is bad are ignorant. Get whichever. They're the same price usually, and perform about the same. I have both.

Is there any antivirus Programm which is not even worse than virus? xD (should update only when i allow it and didn't slow the pc too much)
    Microsoft Security Essentials is pretty good these days,and comes with Windows.
    Last edited by chazus; 2013-02-25 at 05:02 PM.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    2011 is for Intel Extreme. Don't bother with it. You get no benefit from it. You probably don't even need the i7 over the i5.

EDIT: I should add... Haswell is coming out soon. Socket 1150 will replace 1155, just as 1155 replaced 1156. However, a system purchased now will certainly last 3-4 years without an issue, if you're getting a system over $1200

Do you do anything that needs 16gb of ram? If the answer is "I dont know" then probably no.
    Ok thanks

Are you getting the SSD? If so, get the Blue/Green. Black is a waste of money
    Yes i'm getting the ssd form intel 330 180 gb, forgot to write it.

I'm not familiar with specific monitor models, but yes, it supports two.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Are you talking about power supplies? There's no "ATX 2.0" motherboards.
    I couldn't find anything about it too ... o.o but it was in description of some motherboards with LGA2011

People saying Win8 is bad are ignorant. Get whichever. They're the same price usually, and perform about the same. I have both.

Microsoft Security Essentials is pretty good these days,and comes with Windows.
    So windows 8 has no problems with more than one tab, and i will be able to swich between diffrent games, firefox, etc?

10+ Year Old Account
    I couldn't find anything about it too ... o.o but it was in description of some motherboards with LGA2011
    Can you provide a link as to what you're talking about?

So windows 8 has no problems with more than one tab, and i will be able to swich between diffrent games, firefox, etc?
    I.. don't quite understand. Windows 8 is the operating system.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

"Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

digitec.ch/ProdukteDetails2.aspx?Reiter=Details&Artikel=228096
    i can't post link^^

i heard that windows 8 has no taskbar

10+ Year Old Account
    Ah, okay. I get it. It's just saying it needs an ATX 2.0 power supply. But.. you aren't getting that board, so it's kinda moot.

Anyway, Win8.. it... does and doesn't? It uses Tiles, but also has a desktop. You can turn the Tile system off pretty easily, and after that it looks like Win7. Either are easy to use.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryleria1 View Post
    digitec.ch/ProdukteDetails2.aspx?Reiter=Details&Artikel=228096
    i can't post link^^

i heard that windows 8 has no taskbar
    ATX 2.x has been standard for pretty much all motherboards since 2004-2005.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

ok, thanks for the fast answers