10+ Year Old Account

Alright, so I like WoW. Will I like this too?

I'm taking a break from WoW for awhile, and I like the class options in this game (check out my sig. I love classes), so I'm checking this game out. I never played Rift before. I always figured it was one of those fly by night MMOs that would be gone by now. However, its still around, and its still subscription-based, so they're doing something right.

So, as a WoW player, is this the game for me? Also, I like Engineering classes and I got my eye on the Tactician class. Is that a good choice? Let me know, thanks!

Deleted
    I haven't played since the expansion came out. But it was pretty good before. My graphics card broke and won't play it now though..... ;_;

Basic gameplay and play structure of the game is very similar to World of Warcraft. One quests from hub to hub, zone to zone. Mounts, raids, dungeons, "heroic" dungeons, hotkey stat based combat. Tanks, healers and DPS. LFD, server transfers, crafting, etc, etc.

It's not some sort of action game hybrid like Tera or Guild Wars 2. Or slow paced, enjoy the scenery MMOs ala LOTRO or AOC with out a definite expansive endgame for PVE.

Classes feel more or less the same in combat as WoW. I think WoW matches animations to attacks better than Rift does. Though the actual speed, pacing and control of combat between the two games is very similar. Unlike, say, SWTOR. Which copied many of WoW's combat conventions but was a stiffer, slower incarnation of that combat style.

There are some differences, sure. However, it's doubtful one having WoW experience would be perplexed on how to summon their mount, look at the achievement screen or cast the Rift version of Ice Lance.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2013-02-26 at 01:47 AM.

You can always give the trial version of the game a shot if ur interested.
    Gamers are too obsessed with the death of games. Imagine if all that energy was channeled into the LIFE of games.

It is similar to WoW and pre-SL especially can feel a lot like a WoW-Clone. There are distinct differences though. One of the largest you appear to have already noticed and that is the skill system. One thing a lot of former/current WoW players(well, most MMOs really) have difficulty with is the concept that once you pick, let's say Tactician, you are not as locked in to that as other MMOs. You can have up to 6 specs that you can switch between any time out of combat. Other than tanking, roles share the same stats. Ranged, Melee and Heals within the same class all gear roughly the same, so switching souls is not a big deal. You may switch roles mutliple times in one play session using one spec for getting dailies/soloing, then if a world event pops you may want to switch to a less survivable ST or AoE spec, then if you raid you may need to go to a support or more utility type spec. That's just one major difference.

The rest of the differences are on how they tier the content and the overall feel of end-game. The best way to describe it to a WoW player is that it feels more like BC, only better. Most of the people I know that came from WoW, and actually gave it a shot and got to end-game, call it WoW Plus+, since it kinda stuck with the feeling of BC and carried that forward, instead of doing the opposite like WoW did.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    The rest of the differences are on how they tier the content and the overall feel of end-game. The best way to describe it to a WoW player is that it feels more like BC, only better. Most of the people I know that came from WoW, and actually gave it a shot and got to end-game, call it WoW Plus+, since it kinda stuck with the feeling of BC and carried that forward, instead of doing the opposite like WoW did.
    Think BC with housing and faster updates. Think BC with housing and faster updates. Zone events and the rewards you get for them keep them pretty much packed every time the alert comes on the screen.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    (check out my sig. I love classes)

So, as a WoW player, is this the game for me?)
    That's for you to decide.

I'm taking a break from WoW for awhile, and I like the class options in this game (check out my sig. I love classes), so I'm checking this game out. I never played Rift before. I always figured it was one of those fly by night MMOs that would be gone by now. However, its still around, and its still subscription-based, so they're doing something right.

So, as a WoW player, is this the game for me? Also, I like Engineering classes and I got my eye on the Tactician class. Is that a good choice? Let me know, thanks!
    Tactician is one of like 9 trees that you can select, you can pick three, to make a class.

I like bard/tactics a lot... Like, a lot a lot.

You will probably love this game. Just putting that out there.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

Yes, you will enjoy this game if you enjoy WoW. Well at the very least it will be very familiar to you.

You get to play as a Bard. Your musical skills are literally so epic that your opponents die because of the awesomeness that your singing and instrumental combination produces.

What's not to like?

Quote Originally Posted by ZamboUK View Post
    You get to play as a Bard. Your musical skills are literally so epic that your opponents die because of the awesomeness that your singing and instrumental combination produces.

What's not to like?
    Sounds good enough for me. Sing them to death.

Deleted
    When I left wow in nov 2011 Rift was the game I played. Simplified wow specs made it quite boring, and having so many options in how to spec in Rift was amazing. I loved all the mage souls. A much better game than wow according to me.
    However, wow neglect pvp, rift pvp... so neither of them cut it as being a main mmo to me. Well, not many mmos do unfortunately, but Planetside2 pvp only... amazing for me atm =)
    But if you enjoy pve, Rift is the game of the motherlord and I heard raids in rift are more TBC kind if you compare to wow, so if you liked those old days of hard raiding... then rift is the place to go.

10+ Year Old Account
    I tried Rift, but I didn't like it. The movement felt so incredibly clunky, and I didn't like the graphics so much. :/

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Terahertz View Post
    The movement felt so incredibly clunky, and I didn't like the graphics so much. :/
    Not sure why you think the movement is 'incredibly clunky'. It's probably the smoothest MMO like WoW that isn't WoW from a character responsiveness/movement perspective. I used to think LotRO was clunky as well, but I've realized it's just a very different style that I had to adjust to.

The more gritty and realistic graphics aren't for everyone though. I loved that aesthetic change. One of the major reasons I don't understand why people say this game is 'like WoW'. It's so different, there's really no point in comparing them. People are right to say that it's like an evolved and more mature TBC style of gameplay, but otherwise they aren't even similar.
    BAD WOLF

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ZamboUK View Post

What's not to like?

I'm a necromancer....i control the powers of the darkness to rot my opponents from the inside and the power of shadow to corrupt their mind until they are an empty meaningless shell. I raise armies of the dead to do my bidding and defeat my enemies...I intend to dominate the world under my will...

I'm a bard...i sing at people and hope they don't hurt me...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    I'm a necromancer....i control the powers of the darkness to rot my opponents from the inside and the power of shadow to corrupt their mind until they are an empty meaningless shell. I raise armies of the dead to do my bidding and defeat my enemies...I intend to dominate the world under my will...

I'm a necromancer...I make dead bodies attack people while I run away and hope their limbs don't fall off.

I'm a bard...I use my magical voice to draw strength from the aether, shielding and restoring life to my allies while piercing the ears of my enemies until their eyes bleed and their heads explode. I harness the power of reverberating death to eviscerate my opponent's brains from the inside out.

Perspective.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post
    I'm a necromancer...I make dead bodies attack people while I run away and hope their limbs don't fall off.

I'm a bard...I use my magical voice to draw strength from the aether, shielding and restoring life to my allies while piercing the ears of my enemies until their eyes bleed and their heads explode. I harness the power of reverberating death to eviscerate my opponent's brains from the inside out.

Perspective.
    4:48

That is what you described.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hk-51 View Post
    That is what you described.
    o.O

YES

/10char
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Kittyvicious View Post

Perspective.

I'm a Marksman, I'm gonna stand just outta your range and blast you in the face with a rifle.

Was there a point to this? No not really.

Its very good you should try it