Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slummish View Post
    I wondered about this situation recently. I saw a family in a store. They had three sons. They all looked to be under the age of 10. The oldest -- or what I assume was the eldest son -- was running around with a surprising level of energy. However, as he bounced around, I noticed he had very large, pendulous breasts; each one was larger than a large grapefruit. I wondered about his schooling. How he fit in a desk; the ridicule he suffered in the P.E. changing room; etc.

He had to weigh 200 pounds and couldn't have been more than four feet tall. It looked like his brothers were following suit. Dad was tall and thin, but mom was on one of those obesity scooters and was overlapping the seat. Surely this should be viewed by social service agencies as child abuse. 10 year-old children shouldn't be at risk for heart attacks.
    You should read post #80. Those are my ideas to whip the fat kids into shape!

What a joke. Shouldnt be such a thing as obese children. Sad world this is with lazy parents. Shouldnt even use those desk/ chair once pieces anymore, just a normal table with a chair you pull up, make life a lot easier on everyone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    Would money be better spent creating a "fat kamp" of sorts at the schools themselves to get the kids into shape? They could put the kids through grueling work out routines involving a couple hours of cardio each day, and only allow them to select healthy meals during lunch. Of course they would have to sacrifice some learning time to go through the extra exercise every day.

Or you could heard all the fat kids into the same class room and then it wouldn't be interruptive to the normal kids trying to study in other classes. You could end class at say 12:30pm for these kids and keep them till 2:30 or 3:00pm making them exercise.

I bet you would see results fast, and the schools would not have to have more capital expenses buying new "fat kid" chairs and other amenities to accommodate such kids.

Thoughts?
    What would you do with those that have medical conditions? I stick to healthy food for the vast majority of the week but I can't work out for even a short-to-medium amount of time due to a severe heart condition. Therefore, while I am losing weight, I'm not exactly doing it at a quick pace. Your idea would likely make school an absolute physical nightmare.

Also even without taking that into account (because I'm fairly certain that there are a good number of overweight people that don't have such problems), your idea is pretty harsh on the kids. And you know what that means for a parent. And unless it was implemented in every school in the world parents would just choose to transfer their kids elsewhere.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Coffer View Post
    What would you do with those that have medical conditions? I stick to healthy food for the vast majority of the week but I can't work out for even a short-to-medium amount of time due to a severe heart condition. I'm not exactly losing weight at a quick pace.

Also even without taking that into account, your idea is pretty harsh on the kids (and you know what that means for a parent), and unless it was implemented in every school in the world parents would just choose to transfer their kids elsewhere.
    Well they would have to be examined by a staff of nurses or doctors to make sure they were able to do physical activity. All the cases of "I have a disease thats why I am obease", are not an excuse. Most cases these people just need to begin working out and exercising and they will find out quickly that their "heart problems" are really just lazy problems. These people have the ability, but may just be afraid to begin something that will change their life for the better.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Slummish View Post
    He had to weigh 200 pounds and couldn't have been more than four feet tall.
    200 pounds under the age of 10? That's beyond ridiculous. Even I'm below that.

---------- Post added 2013-02-28 at 01:13 AM ----------

Well they would have to be examined by a staff of nurses or doctors to make sure they were able to do physical activity. All the cases of "I have a disease thats why I am obease", are not an excuse.
    Nice try, but no, it was diagnosed at birth and I've had major problems with it. Yes, the doctors fully recognize it.

Most cases these people just need to begin working out and exercising and they will find out quickly that their "heart problems" are really just lazy problems. These people have the ability, but may just be afraid to begin something that will change their life for the better.
    For the better? From what I've noticed, slim people have a larger tendency to be unlikable, and my own personality has gradually worsened as I lost more weight.

From the sounds of it, you're not taking these things seriously at all, most likely because of ignorance or a simple lack of knowledge of the matter.
    Last edited by Coffer; 2013-02-27 at 11:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    To be fair, it's shocking how small those desks are. I was a skinny-ass kid, and I always felt cramped in those desks.
    The desk part on my high schools desks were so small a normal sized book and a piece of paper wouldn't fit on the same desk. The chair part was even worse. I felt like a huge giant sitting in them and they were so close together I was uncomfortable all the time. I am a 6ft tall medium sized person. So I agree the desks are small and cheap and need to be bigger. Regardless of the persons body fat content. You can't exercise away your length.

10+ Year Old Account
    For my size (in height) even those were too small.....

.... back in school i always had too pull a table away from me so i could get my hands on the table. Tables where so low that was just not funny. But those things had too be 50 years old and designed for 160 cm children.
    Don't sweat the details!!!

Deleted
    well tbh some kids can be really big so they would definitely need to get a custom desk etc.
    but seriously the parents... why are they doing this to their little kids.
    Last edited by mmoc562e1aede6; 2013-02-27 at 11:22 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Coffer View Post
    200 pounds under the age of 10? That's beyond ridiculous. Even I'm below that.

---------- Post added 2013-02-28 at 01:13 AM ----------

Nice try, but no, it was diagnosed at birth and I've had major problems with it. Yes, the doctors fully recognize it.

For the better? From what I've noticed, slim people have a larger tendency to be unlikable, and my own personality has gradually worsened as I lost more weight.

From the sounds of it, you're not taking these things seriously at all, most likely because of ignorance or a simple lack of knowledge of the matter.
    I am not talking about you, as I have no idea where you are coming from and what your condition is. I was speaking in the general sense. Also, how can you correlate someones "likability" to the size of their waist? Does not make sense at all.

I'd also like to throw into the conversation the food they try to serve in the lunch rooms. When I went to school I would spend my money on a coke and Cheetos because they were the better option (and sometimes the edible option). It might be better now in schools but to me it is sad when 'junk' food is a better option than the 'healthy' food they attempt to serve.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ant View Post
    I'd also like to throw into the conversation the food they try to serve in the lunch rooms. When I went to school I would spend my money on a coke and Cheetos because they were the better option (and sometimes the edible option). It might be better now in schools but to me it is sad when 'junk' food is a better option than the 'healthy' food they attempt to serve.
    Why are they even allowed to serve such things? Unhealthy foods were outlawed in my school a few years back, and for a good reason.

Deleted
    It might be better now in schools but to me it is sad when 'junk' food is a better option than the 'healthy' food they attempt to serve.
    What on earth did they feed u? And u could have just brought ur own food instead of buying junk

As a kid who weighed like 85 lbs. in the 7th grade, I never had a problem. When I graduated High School, I was 5'10" and 130 lbs. I don't think the problem lies with the schools.
    Desktop ------------------------------- Laptop- Asus ROG Zephyrus G14
    AMD Ryzen 5 5600X CPU ---------------AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS with Radeon 680M graphics
    AMD RX 6600XT GPU -------------------AMD Radeon RX 6800S discrete graphics
    16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM ----------------16 GB DDR5-4800 RAM
    1 TB WD Black SN770 NVMe SSD ------1 TB WD Black SN850 NVMe SSD

Deleted
    Very simple solution for this. Give them education in a different class which has no need for desks: the gymnasium.
    Time to start getting more creative about these kind of problems, sheesh

When I went to school , the food was pretty good and things like soft drinks and junk food weren't even available. There were quite a few things I was served in school that I requested as part of the menu at home and most made their way in. This was also back from 1954-1966 so the "healthy diet" garbage hadn't started yet. We got good, wholesome, and hearty lunches.
    Desktop ------------------------------- Laptop- Asus ROG Zephyrus G14
    AMD Ryzen 5 5600X CPU ---------------AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS with Radeon 680M graphics
    AMD RX 6600XT GPU -------------------AMD Radeon RX 6800S discrete graphics
    16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM ----------------16 GB DDR5-4800 RAM
    1 TB WD Black SN770 NVMe SSD ------1 TB WD Black SN850 NVMe SSD

10+ Year Old Account
    I've never been fat, portly or even a little stout. And some of those desks are just really freaking small...aside from being horribly uncomfortable. The ones with the large, flat square are generally ok, but even as a skinny kid the distance between desk and chair was often uncomfortable, and the width was rarely any better. Personally, I never understood why we dont have desk and chair separate. Sure a few fatasses might not fit in the seat, but it'd certainly solve the space issues.

Of course, smaller classroom numbers would also provide more space.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Down with the tiny desks! Thanks obese kids!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kallekaka View Post
    What on earth did they feed u? And u could have just brought ur own food instead of buying junk
    Assuming good food....or at least better-than-school food is available from home, or if it isn't that the child has some other way of procuring it.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by Anakso View Post
    the way it's set up also looks like it makes it difficult for left handed people.
    Story of my life.
    "Why are you wearing that stupid Man suit?"

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe if american parents didn't stuff their kids full of mc donalds, twinkies, coke and doughnuts and other shit food and forced them to exercise, america wouldn't be the fattest nation on earth. I'm Australian and when I was a kid, I had parents who didn't feed my brother and I shit every day. I also loved to ride my bike. I would disappear all day, just riding around aimlessly. Hell, at 15 I used to ride over 50km a day on my bike. I only got fat in my late teens when medication destroyed my metabolism.