View Poll Results: How do you eat?

Voters
369. This poll is closed
  • I'm right handed and hold the fork in the right and the knife in the left.

75 20.33%
  • I'm right handed and hold the fork in the left and the knife in the right.

181 49.05%
  • I'm left handed and hold the fork in the left and the knife in the right.

61 16.53%
  • I'm left handed and hold the fork in the right and the knife in the left.

18 4.88%
  • I'm ambidextrous and use whatever way suits me best on the day.

28 7.59%
  • I don't eat with a knife and fork but wanted to vote anyway.

6 1.63%
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ...
    High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm ambidextrous, I was born left handed but I broke my left hand when I was 5 or 6 year-old, couldn't use it for a couple of months (nerves were very damaged), so I had to learn to do everything my right hand. Now I can do everything with both hands, but my left hand writing is the same as when I was 6 haha.

Deleted
    Im right handed and use fork and knife on right hand <.< i have to stop and switch

To cut i use fork on the left and cut with right

10+ Year Old Account
    Left handed.

Knife on the left and fork on the right

I use the fork to hold down the meat with my left hand, cut with my right, then switch hands and pick up the food with my fork with my right as I set the knife down with my left.

I do everything right handed (naturally) except drive when I don't have both hands on the wheel. Fork in left, knife in right.

However, I write left handed all day (which only qualifies as the paper work I have to do at my job) except when I have to sign my name as a sort-of mind training thing I've been doing since 10th grade (and I'm 25 now). I can write exceptionally well left handed and I can even learn to do other things like throw darts or work with minor power tools with the opposite hand in a very short time span. I can also eat left handed but it doesn't feel as comfortable. I look perfectly natural doing it, though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    Right handed.

Left hand = Fork
    Right hand = Knife
    Pretty much this.

right handed.

If I don't need to use a knife, I take the fork in my right hand (same with a spoon), and might hold a knife in my left hand but won't use it. Whenever I need to cut something, I'll put the knife in my right hand and fork in left. Which mean that I sometime (often...) switch my fork from hand to hand while eating...

edit :
    Quote Originally Posted by Markluzz View Post
    I use the fork to hold down the meat with my left hand, cut with my right, then switch hands and pick up the food with my fork with my right as I set the knife down with my left.
    basically this :P

10+ Year Old Account
    The first option. The other way feels alien to me. I tend to cut things with the side of my fork also.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Magpai View Post
    I use both in the right hand. Whichever one I"m not primarily using at that moment switches to my left.
    This. This is, as far as I know, the most common way of handling cutlery, aside from what etiquette says.
    "There is no teacher but the enemy. No one but the enemy will tell you what the enemy is going to do. No one but the enemy will ever teach you how to destroy and conquer. Only the enemy shows you where you are weak. Only the enemy tells you where he is strong. And the rules of the game are what you can do to him and what you can stop him from doing to you." -Mazer Rackham - Ender's Game Orson Scott Card

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spicy View Post
    I'm very curious about this subject.

I myself am right handed. When eating a meal, i hold the fork in my right hand and the knife in my left. When in school I was told this was 'the wrong way' and would often be told off if the dinner lady caught me eating like that in school. It didn't change me however, I still eat like that today but often get asked why.

How do you eat?
    Anyone who was right handed would use the knife in the right hand, as it is the hand that will be doing the dexterous movements. I actually shudder at the thought of seeing you cut something like that, being right handed lol.

I'm ambidextrous when it comes to eating. I can use any utensil in any hand perfectly fine. I'm normally right handed though, such as writing and things like that. For some reason eating is the one thing I can do well with either hand. I actually prefer eating things like soup and stew with my left hand for some reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Giants41 View Post
    I do the same thing! But apparently i'm slightly ambidextrous. I play guitar lefty, ride skateboards lefty, and some other stuff. I can't really write lefty that well though.
    Does that mean you ride "goofy"? Or it that "normal"?

I ride "goofy" and "tonga". I am all sorts of backwards.
    "There is no teacher but the enemy. No one but the enemy will tell you what the enemy is going to do. No one but the enemy will ever teach you how to destroy and conquer. Only the enemy shows you where you are weak. Only the enemy tells you where he is strong. And the rules of the game are what you can do to him and what you can stop him from doing to you." -Mazer Rackham - Ender's Game Orson Scott Card

Im left handed, I hold the fork with the left hand. I do most everything as a right handed person with the exception of writing.

[Banhammer, Kungen's Bane]

1.60 sp mace
    150 str
    268 sta
    77 defense
    80 dodge
    93 parry
    "As you look upon the mace, you hear the whining of a thousand fanboys. Something deep with in your soul makes it impossible to think anything but 'lol.'"

10+ Year Old Account
    Sometimes when I hold an ice cream cone, I find either hand supports its weight.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    Anyone who was right handed would use the knife in the right hand, as it is the hand that will be doing the dexterous movements. I actually shudder at the thought of seeing you cut something like that, being right handed lol.
    It's been asked of me a few times, so I can only assume the way I eat may look strange or awkward for people to actually notice. When cutting something really thick and stiff like a chunk of steak, I do notice that I struggle a little sometimes with the slicing motion due to using my weakest hand for cutting. However, if I put the knife in the 'correct' hand (right hand with me being a righty) and try to cut. It looks like I just landed here and it's my first time using a knife and whatever I'm attempting to slice would probably end up on the other side of the dining room on the floor lol
    "One touch of nature makes the whole world kin." - William Shakespeare

~ Sig and Avatar by Shyama <3 ~