Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's alright, not great. A lot of the talents are just things the class had previously before they decided to rework the system.

Quote Originally Posted by Pencil View Post
    It's wonderful.

I really do wish some of you would stop pretending you didn't follow the mandatory builds of the previous expansions talent system.
    But you still have the same problem now, don't you? Certain talents are better for certain fights/situations, so people who want to perform the best they can will follow "mandatory" builds. Then there are talent tiers where your choice literally doesn't matter at all in most situations. I don't think it's any better or worse in terms of there being "mandatory" talents, we're just looking at it on a fight to fight basis because of how easy it is to switch talents.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karragon View Post
    I'd like WoW to be a single player game

Deleted
    It's wonderful.

I really do wish some of you would stop pretending you didn't follow the mandatory builds of the previous expansions talent system.
    I think you miss the point

people follow standard builds now, they will do whatever a guide tells them for eeach fight....you will always get that no matter the system.

The new system takes all choice (even if illusionary) away, and I for one feel less connected to my character, it also makes levelling boring (even more so) as you only get a "choice" every 15 levels, and most of the time that "choice" is not really a choice as there is usually one obvious talent, very few tiers are actually balanced.

10+ Year Old Account
    I like it much, much, better, especially when considered along with the new glyph setups.
    "Brevity is...wit"

10+ Year Old Account
    Dislike it. Forced into a spec to be effective, then when they notice everyone is that spec they nerf those talents leaving us uneffective.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Much better than the old system. I just wish, and this is totally whiny and biased, that they would finetune /some/ classes a bit better.

Glyphs: On the other hand, I dislike now.

Rule of Thumb: If the healer's HPS is higher than your DPS, you're doing it wrong.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by blargh312 View Post
    But you still have the same problem now, don't you? Certain talents are better for certain fights/situations, so people who want to perform the best they can will follow "mandatory" builds. Then there are talent tiers where your choice literally doesn't matter at all in most situations. I don't think it's any better or worse in terms of there being "mandatory" talents, we're just looking at it on a fight to fight basis because of how easy it is to switch talents.
    I never said that wasn't the case. I'm merely calling out people who try to pretend the old system didn't promote the exact same thing. The reason I prefer this new talent tree is because of the ease of change and selection of actual abilities. I like to try them out sometimes even if I know they aren't perfect.

---------- Post added 2013-02-28 at 11:11 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Xihuitl View Post
    I think you miss the point

people follow standard builds now, they will do whatever a guide tells them for eeach fight....you will always get that no matter the system.

The new system takes all choice (even if illusionary) away, and I for one feel less connected to my character, it also makes levelling boring (even more so) as you only get a "choice" every 15 levels, and most of the time that "choice" is not really a choice as there is usually one obvious talent, very few tiers are actually balanced.
    Again, I never said that isn't the case. I do agree there's as little choice now as ever. I just prefer this system because of ease of use at max level.

I never said that wasn't the case. I'm merely calling out people who try to pretend the old system didn't promote the exact same thing. The reason I prefer this new talent tree is because of the ease of change and selection of actual abilities. I like to try them out sometimes even if I know they aren't perfect.

---------- Post added 2013-02-28 at 11:11 PM ----------

Again, I never said that isn't the case. I do agree there's as little choice now as ever. I just prefer this system because of ease of use at max level.
    What would you think of going to back to the old system but keeping the tomes for changing talents? More options and customization with the same ease of use.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karragon View Post
    I'd like WoW to be a single player game

Deleted
    It´s terrible!!!! Worst talent tree ever made!

At max level: Mostly inconsequential, very few options exist. There is still cookie cutter for min maxing.

While leveling: Severely lacking. Old talents are now automatically given as skills and spells. There is no way to personalize the talent tree based on play style and try interesting combos and learn. It is all imposed upon. Also every 15 levels is way too sparse, there should be a talent every level or at least every 5 levels.

I pretty much hate it. I see a great idea over there - an active set of skills, like in Diablo III, that you can customize all the time and pick the one which suits you best.

And it doesn't work for me, like, at all.

First of all, new talents were supposed to eliminate the "cookie cutter" builds copied from Elitist Jerks. Well done then, now we're copying them from Icy-Veins. What does a, for example, PvE player get? There are always like 3-4 almost useless talents that enchance your selfhealing or ccs, like whatever, pick a random. And the remaining 2-3? It was all simmed out. Pick the right one, not the one that suits you best.

Leveling got way more boring and mundane without old talents. Previously, each 2 levels you could enchance your playstyle, mostly combat abilities, with custom changes. Discovering the system and leveling up with it was great. Now? During the Azeroth phase you choose only 3 talents, and those are usually things like "run a bit faster" or "silence all enemies around you". Great enchancements for a leveling guy, who wants to feel the awesomeness of his class more and more as he improves. Those talents were made into passive skills that don't really feel right for me. You don't choose anything, you don't feel anything, you may not even notice that your dps was enchanced. There is no discovery of the fact that your bleeds will trigger Overpower if you pick a specific talent - you just happen to have that at some point.

And, the last thing about this system that I dislike, is the fact it didn't really have to remove old talent system. It would be an awesome idea to have the old system, with many choices and long trees, but at some points on those trees you have meaningful choices with interesting skills - but among 3 you can pick just one. Would that be such a bad idea?

A few of them could use some work, but on the whole it's a vast improvement.

A common complaint is that they don't affect your playstyle, which is only really true if you're one of those people who logs on to raid or do dungeons and nothing else. For PVP, old content soloing, brawlers guild etc I find myself swapping talents a fair bit. In the old system you just plugged in your cookie cutter build and never changed it at all, so raid/dungeon only players are no worse off anyway.

Actually, even in raids I find there's occasions when it pays to swap over.

Personally I'd remove those silly tomes though. If they want swapping talents to cost gold just make it cost gold, stop wasting inventory space for no reason and making me constantly restock a pointless reagent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

For a first iteration of the new talent system I like it. There are distinct playstyle differences based on which talents people take (at least for my primary class). I don't like that some talents are no-brainers for certain specs. They should all be on par power wise but be playstyle or utilitarian choices that are just player preference. I think they could be broadened a bit in scope and that there could be more diversification (i.e. 1 talent per 5 levels or so) so that those choices had a more distinct impact on the overall character and the way they optimally play.

The old talent system sucked. It was a built in "you fail" system if people took certain talents, but it was obfuscated behind some pretty hefty math at times. There's a big difference between combining choices into an effective build and simply providing bad choices that are masked to appear as if they're not bad choices. Not every choice should be "the best" but every choice should have a "it's best if used this way, in combination with these things, with this playstyle, etc." These choices should result in a situationally better or worse build, without having a universal best one. That's not how it worked previously. It was a terrible design that provided the illusion of choice and nothing more.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was optimistic about it when they annnouced it, saw the advantages. I'm happy with how it turned out too, though my fear that certain talents would still be mathed out to be superior and thus used by most players turned out to be true. What I hadn't counted on was that most talents do actully have different situational uses and DO get used, even if people have 1 "main" talent they use mostly. All in all it turned out better then I had expected, and I think it's something they should continue to build on.

Less passive stuff(make passive baseline) and all choices must be viable.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by blargh312 View Post
    What would you think of going to back to the old system but keeping the tomes for changing talents? More options and customization with the same ease of use.
    But it wouldn't be the same ease of use. Part of that is a result of the lack of pointless optional passive we have now.

Deleted
    I do understand the design philosophy behind it, Blizzard wanted to make mandatory talents baseline and add more actual choice.
    However, as it stands the system still needs tweaks. Sometimes only one of the three choices fits your playstyle, and sometimes all three choices lack excitement.

For example, with my warrior the choice between Bladestorm, Shockwave and Dragon Roar is very easy. I'm sure the others have their uses, but for PvE DPS I don't see how any of those choices can compare with Bladestorm. So this system is simplified, but it still lacks choice. This is as much a no-brainer as it was before.

But then there are also levels at which none of the new abilities are exciting. As a DPS warrior having to choose between Mass Spell Reflection, Safeguard and Vigilance is really boring. I don't need any of them.

But overall, I think the system is an improvement. It may need some tweaks but it's better than the old system.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Baracuda View Post
    Less passive stuff(make passive baseline) and all choices must be viable.
    Don't be ignorant. You know that isn't possible.

It is just as lame as when released. A talent system that does not leave room to screw up might as well be hard baked into the character in the first place.
    There is no Bad RNG just Bad LTP