Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Help with internet!

Okay! First of all, i have no knowledge with routers and so on. The only thing I know are all the basics, so please dont make your answers way too difficult for me to understand :P

Alright so lately my internet speed has dropped a whole lot! I can barely get onto my browser without having to wait for it to load for several seconds (10-15 seconds).

Today i tried to update Starcraft 2 with an average downloading speed of 50 kb/sec... I see this speed alot when it comes to downloading and updating games.

I ran a speedtest on speedtest.net and these are my results - http://www.speedtest.net/result/2542977839.png

They dont seem "too bad". The thing is I cant stand a 50 kb/sec downloading speed.... and there has to be a way of getting it improved.

Looking at that speed test 50KB/s is fine for your connection.
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    Looking at that speed test 50KB/s is fine for your connection.
    Yes, but what can be the cause of this slow speed? I used to have a downloading speed on 1-2mb/sec..

Quote Originally Posted by Plaguemaw View Post
    Yes, but what can be the cause of this slow speed? I used to have a downloading speed on 1-2mb/sec..
    Hard to tell without any more info. Have you talked to your ISP? Have you tried connecting straight to the wall/modem without any routers or such in between?
    Intel i5-3570K @ 4.7GHz | MSI Z77 Mpower | Noctua NH-D14 | Corsair Vengeance LP White 1.35V 8GB 1600MHz
    Gigabyte GTX 670 OC Windforce 3X @ 1372/7604MHz | Corsair Force GT 120GB | Silverstone Fortress FT02 | Corsair VX450

I bet on one of the following:

1. WLAN interference with other WLANS around
    2. Someone hacked into your network and uses up quite a bit of your internet connection

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by n0cturnal View Post
    Have you tried connecting straight to the wall/modem without any routers or such in between?
    Yes, my net is fine when its connected via a wire

---------- Post added 2013-03-01 at 12:51 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by ripponesan View Post
    I bet on one of the following:

1. WLAN interference with other WLANS around
    2. Someone hacked into your network and uses up quite a bit of your internet connection
    I dont think my net has been hacked since i can actually see how many users are online on the router, by logging onto it.

Can you please explain to me how i can check up on this WLAN? As i said i have no idea what its about but i would love to give it a try

You can try switching channel on the WLAN if that is an option in your router.

could also be that the wireless on your router is dying - is it ISP supplied?

10+ Year Old Account
    If you have a good connection wired, your router might be dying. If it's ISP supplied, I'd replace it with my own. Do you have other devices in your home to check speeds with? It could be the wireless receiver on your particular machine that is dying as well. If you have another router or receiver to test with, try that.

if you are good with a LAN cable and poor with wireless, the wireless is pretty much the answer. Is it secure, do you share it? Its not hard to run a partial wep key to get the password, change the password first, do you have a microwave oven near or anything else that might restrict the wifi signal

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by obixcx View Post
    if you are good with a LAN cable and poor with wireless, the wireless is pretty much the answer. Is it secure, do you share it? Its not hard to run a partial wep key to get the password, change the password first, do you have a microwave oven near or anything else that might restrict the wifi signal
    There is nothing near to the router. The only people i share the router with are my family but the router is just as slow when they are on as if im the only one connected.. :/

Please, im open for ideas!

Deleted
    What router do you have?

Deleted
    Not sure how much this helps but i just took a screeny of my wireless browser options. I have no clue what the options mean so hopefully one of you can clear that out for me?

http://i.imgur.com/EOFNsfv.jpg

---------- Post added 2013-03-01 at 09:29 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Sham101 View Post
    What router do you have?
    A Netgear JNR3000

Deleted
    Open Cmd prompt and type "netsh wlan show networks mode=bssid" without the quotes of-course.

This will show you all near by wireless networks and the channel they are using. Now try and find a channel that is unused and if possible atleast 5 numbers away from a neighbour network and then use this channel.

Let us know if this helps.

Deleted
    Open Cmd prompt and type "netsh wlan show networks mode=bssid" without the quotes of-course.

This will show you all near by wireless networks and the channel they are using. Now try and find a channel that is unused and if possible atleast 5 numbers away from a neighbour network and then use this channel.

Let us know if this helps.
    I did type this into the command prompt and did find my network. Got alot of information but im a little confused what to use it to?

Taastrup... do you live in Denmark? Because if that is... it is wierd that your internet is that bad then. It is normally a lot better.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zogarth View Post
    Taastrup... do you live in Denmark? Because if that is... it is wierd that your internet is that bad then. It is normally a lot better.
    I do live in Taastrup Denmark, and yes i find this a little odd too. Some time ago my net used to work perfectly. My guess is that something is having an influence on it? But i honestly have no idea on how to fix this ... :/

Deleted
    In the info about each wlan there is a part that says channel followed by a number (1 to 11)

You want to make note of the channels the other wifi networks are using, and then change yours to a different one. Ideally the channel you will want should be 5 numbers at least apart.
    (this might not be possible however, but a different un-used or less used channel will be better)

You can change your channel from the page you took the screenshot of. It's currently set to auto.

Edited to tidy up post abit
    Last edited by mmoc28bbbf4acf; 2013-03-01 at 09:10 PM.

Deleted
    In the info about each wlan there is a part that says channel followed by a number (1 to 11)

You want to make note of the channels the other wifi networks are using, and then change yours to a different one. Ideally the channel you will want should be 5 numbers at least apart.
    (this might not be possible however, but a different un-used or less used channel will be better)

You can change your channel from the page you took the screenshot of. It's currently set to auto.

Edited to tidy up post abit
    Thanks alot for your help! Altho i still have a question :P
    When i got to that option where i can change the number, it will only let me change 1 number which is from 1-13. Which number do i want it to change to?

Deleted
    Well lets hypothetically say most of the other wlan are using channel 3, you should pick anything from 8 to 13.

See what I mean? Ideally anything atleast 5 numbers away that isn't being used by another wifi.

---------- Post added 2013-03-01 at 09:22 PM ----------

Oh and once you have done this reboot your router and make sure it hasn't defaulted back to auto.