10+ Year Old Account

[Music] I need some good harpsichord music.

I realize it's a very odd and random craving, but I'm looking for some good harpsichord music. Something really fast and epic. Anything come to mind?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalliah View Post
    Daym, that's some good shit right there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Any of the Bach prelude-and-fugues will do ya.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYw7UgO2usI

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes. All of it is excellent!

Deleted
    This is fast, but not sure if it's epic enough:

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rainiothon View Post
    This is fast, but not sure if it's epic enough:

The only thing that kind of puts me off about this piece is that thing that a lot of classical composers like to do where they take these awkward pauses during their music as if they're thinking about what to play next.

My take on it is that once you build up a good momentum in your music, you shouldn't dissipate that momentum until the song ends.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    The only thing that kind of puts me off about this piece is that thing that a lot of classical composers like to do where they take these awkward pauses during their music as if they're thinking about what to play next.

My take on it is that once you build up a good momentum in your music, you shouldn't dissipate that momentum until the song ends.
    That's not printed in the music, it's the performer taking artistic license.

Deleted

Sadly, there's truth to this. I have a collection of L/F Couperin harpischord pieces which feature those same "pauses" frequently. Most of the short interlude pieces have a much faster tempo though. I'll see if I can find anything with a bit more momentum in my collection.
    Last edited by mmoc2f7dfebfb1; 2013-03-06 at 06:14 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ugru View Post
    That's not printed in the music, it's the performer taking artistic license.
    Why would they do that?

10+ Year Old Account
    Why would they do that?
    The same reason so many "artists" butcher the national anthem, the same reason rap "music" exists (don't get me started), and the same reason Solti's interpretations of Haydn symphonies are superior to Bernstein's. It's a form of expression and is completely subjective.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ugru View Post
    The same reason so many "artists" butcher the national anthem, the same reason rap "music" exists (don't get me started), and the same reason Solti's interpretations of Haydn symphonies are superior to Bernstein's. It's a form of expression and is completely subjective.
    It gets frustrating for me because literally like 9 of every 10 recordings of classical compositions has the performer doing that crap. I'm just like "PLAY THE GODDAM MUSIC THE WAY IT'S WRITTEN!" and they're like "no! I have to take arbitrary pauses for reasons that aren't entirely clear!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Artistic interpretation is rarely arbitrary. Those pauses or stretches in the tempo are the universally accepted "correct" way to perform that particular passage, based on how it has been performed historically since the composer's time. Especially with Baroque music such as this, printed music forms a framework to which commonly accepted musical choices are made. Certain choices are up to the performer, but a good performer still interprets the music according to those commonly accepted standards.