Resto; OS Ele questions!

Hey MMO champion!

I got a few questions in regards to spec swapping and getting the most out of changing the least.

First of all I run Resto main/ Ele offspec in a progressive 10 man guild.

[We arn't amazing but we are getting through content pretty fast considering our late start]

and often times I find myself DPSing more than healing, whether its for a two heal fight or we have one of our regular DPS absent.

Our healing comp is generally:

monk
    disc priest
    shaman

leaving me in the position of hard casting GHW so I tend to favor crit as a main secondary stat.

Heres the kicker...as I understand it crit isnt a favorable secondary stat for Ele [The whole conflit between LB and crit scaling]. Either way I would rather remain crit heavy for resto.

Would you guys give me some advice on getting the most out of ele dps despite stat limitations?

For instance

1) Would PE be a better choice as far as talents go? [I'm a scrub when it comes to dps so the easier rotation is somewhat helpful]

2) I read somewhere if you go PE, elemental mastery is a better choice over echo of elements. Is that true? And why?

3) would going crit > haste > mastery be a decent way to gear these two builds without excessive regemming and reforging? both healing and dps?

His my armory!

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...n/Chaac/simple

Any Advice is extremely helpful as I do not DPS very often. =3

Bloodsail Admiral
    15+ Year Old Account
    Being resto and having an elem offspec (or the other way around) is one of those things that sound awesome in theory. It's mail with INT on it what could possibly go wrong ...

But then you sort of figure out that while it can quite often be the same items they all happen to have the wrong reforge, the wrong gems and the wrong enchants. Some of them are the wrong items tho since they have the wrong stats on them. As a Resto in 10 you like your mail to have spirit and crit on it, as an elem you like your gear to have haste/mastery on it. What you'll find is that certain non-tier pieces will have overlap such as bracers from Blade Lord. But for the most part you are just better of building a complete second set of items that you enchant/gem/reforge the right way.

Normally tho you can build for your primary role and then as you replace that gear it gets inherited down to the next spec. But to think that you should just put on your resto gear and switch spec that will end quite bad; most of all you'll end up with things like 20+ % hit raiting due to all the spirit you'll have.

So instead of trying to have some half/half thing just build a new set, it doesn't even have to be elem -- it can be enhancement to. It sort of depends on what gear comes you way. What is your raid setup? Is there a hunter? Is there alot of agi/melee? If not there will probably be raiding agi/mail so you are better off using that.

If you should use Primal in the last tier? Personal choice. I don't use it as resto, elem or enha; I still prefer unleash.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafal View Post
    1) Would PE be a better choice as far as talents go? [I'm a scrub when it comes to dps so the easier rotation is somewhat helpful]
    For you, yes, PE would be better. Not because of what you're trying to do with you're gear, as far as sharing it between the 2 specs, but because you've stated you're not very experienced.

2) I read somewhere if you go PE, elemental mastery is a better choice over echo of elements. Is that true? And why?
    Don't quote me on this but I believe echo benefits more from our mastery (elemental overload). If it's true, then it might have something to do with overloads proccing from echo, but I'm not sure. What I am sure of is PE does not benefit from mastery so...if echo does but PE doesn't, then it's not good to have both. Which is unfortunate since it would be nice for you as a self-ascribed scrub .

3) would going crit > haste > mastery be a decent way to gear these two builds without excessive regemming and reforging? both healing and dps?
    Unfortunately, I'm not seeing any way around it: I think you're going to have to bite the bullet and get elemental gear. Otherwise, you're looking at the whole excessive regemming and reforging thing.

There's nothing absolutely horrendously horrible about crit BUT it is for you because you've got almost no haste. For where you're at in your progression I have a feeling that haste>mastery>crit is the way to go for now.
    These words in my mouth... where did they come from? I don't think I'm the one that put them there...

Deleted
    Hey!

Just dropping my case.
    I'm in the opposite situation of you.
    I'm main spec elemental and i do Resto for a few fights.
    We have Resto druid, holy pala, that can manage most fights.
    If i have to go as resto, i have a few pieces that are focused mostly on spirit, that i switch to play as Resto. (and use spirit flask).
    So my gear for Restoration will be consisted mostly from Elemental, with alot of haste.
    But in this case, when i go as Resto, i'm not really stressed about the mana or the stats priority, since i just need to "cover up the holes" in the healing.
    And as they used to say, a good healer is not much dependent on gear.
    Perhaps, depending on your healers skills, you should consider devoting more to a dps spec. I have been doing this with the same raid group, since ulduar, always on 10man.
    Sorry for the lack of grammar!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafal View Post
    Hey MMO champion!

Hi Rafal.

To answer your questions for you, yes I would chose primal elementalist as it will simplify your rotation like you asked and it will also favour crit so it will suit your gear more

PE favours elemental mastery as the elemental benefits from this talent so you can sync your primal elemental with this (in 5.2 if you have it glyphed) for a dps boost

I would always build your primary gear set for your primary role and then make do with your secondary gear set so dont gem and enchant to suit both, focus on one and just make do with the second.

The main aim for a hybrid such as yourself is to get and maintain two gear sets (totally seperate if possible) my elemental set is min/maxed whilst my resto set is lower ilvl but also reforged etc for restoration, there are very few bits shared between. When I get an elemental upgrade I usually just downgrade the replaced piece to my resto set (if it doesnt have hit) and reforge accordingly, I favour items with spirit and without hit for this reason so genreally take hit items last from the other casters in my raid team

I also take two of the same items sometimes if nobody else wants them for the two different sets just for reforging purposes

Hope this helps

Sepha