Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Need fitness advice!

I'm 16yrs old(turning 17), 175cm, 65Kg... what's the best exercise to tone-up your muscles and leg parts(because my legs are a bit big) because i wanna try boxing this summer

P.S. I need starter workout without equipments as possible

Wrong website bro.

We can help you over at http://www.bodybuilding.com

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullarkie View Post
    Wrong website bro.

Dont go there.

You get people that know nothing on all forums.

Just because this is a gaming forum doesnt mean people dont know anything.

Deleted
    I use this site to gain some muscles: http://www.hundredpushups.com/#sthash.JeQ0Oaug.dpbs. It actually works. =)

Quote Originally Posted by noyimba987 View Post
    I'm 16yrs old(turning 17), 175cm, 65Kg... what's the best exercise to tone-up your muscles and leg parts(because my legs are a bit big) because i wanna try boxing this summer

Squats and deadlifts. But you don't get smaller when you lift with your legs... you get bigger. As demonstrated by my continuously having to get bigger and bigger pants despite my waist staying the same.

If you have large legs at that weight, it is genetic. You aren't going to be able to do much about it. I have huge legs too. You can try and lose weight but it won't help very much.
    Last edited by jbhasban; 2013-03-19 at 11:33 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullarkie View Post
    Wrong website bro.

Sending him to that site is like sending him to the Louvre for advice on what wall canvas to buy. He'll just be met by pretentious pricks looking down their nose at the lesser mortal that doesn't automatically know these things.

But yeah, that site is fine for a certain group of people... But unless you're a fan of the whole alpha male bullshit that goes with it, I wouldn't bother.

If you're trying to get your legs lighter and leaner, you're probably better off with distance running than weightlifting. I don't know jack about boxing, but I feel like that's not actually what you want though. Isn't the important thing there to have quickness and explosive power? I'm with the guy that said squats and deadlifts.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    If you're trying to get your legs lighter and leaner, you're probably better off with distance running than weightlifting. I don't know jack about boxing, but I feel like that's not actually what you want though. Isn't the important thing there to have quickness and explosive power? I'm with the guy that said squats and deadlifts.
    Yeah, power cleans, jumping exercises and squats are the best for increasing your power. But, honestly, the best thing to learn for a beginning boxer is footwork and conditioning. I would learn how to jump rope if I were you and work on it till you can do it really fast.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by noyimba987 View Post

Hello there. I was in the same boat as you many years ago, near enough the same height and weight but i was joining the Army Reserves. Start off slowly, set yourself a few goals. First off i would start with 1) 1.5 Miles run, this will build up leg muscle and stamina, aim to get this under 10 minutes. 2) Press-ups, see how many you can do in 2 minutes and try aim for above 60. 3) Sit-ups, see how many you can do in 2 minutes and try aim for above 50. This is a very basic start to increasing your fitness you dont want to dive in head first and injury yourself as this will slow down the process. Do basic weights, 20KG Bells for each arm. Once you can do that easily and safely move it up a step. Do some Boxing circuits they will get your heart pumping. Boxing circuits are a brilliant way to get or keep fit and really take it out of you but you still have a great time doing them.
    This is a very basic fitness routine that you can either try or just pick at parts. *Source* Training PTI in the British Army. Deadlifts and weighted squats will help with your legs. Grab a weighted ball or something heavy and do deep squats so your nearly sitting down. Remember to always warm up and stretch after you have finished. People seem to overlook the importance of stretching before and after. IT HELPS
    Last edited by mmoc90dbcd5ed0; 2013-03-19 at 01:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Jogging is great advice, but boxing is actually also an amazing aerobic sport and great for toning the legs, since you never stand still on the ground.
    My Gaming Setup | WoW Paladin (retired)

"This is not a dress. This is a sacred robe of the ancient psychedelic monks."

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Moon View Post
    Jogging is great advice, but boxing is actually also an amazing aerobic sport and great for toning the legs, since you never stand still on the ground.
    Yeah, that's an excellent point. If cardio's the goal, boxing's a fantastic way to get there. I'm in pretty decent shape, and shadowboxing hard for a few minutes leaves me short of breath.

Quote Originally Posted by ANC1 View Post
    Hello there. I was in the same boat as you many years ago, near enough the same height and weight but i was joining the Army Reserves. Start off slowly, set yourself a few goals. First off i would start with 1) 1.5 Miles run, this will build up leg muscle and stamina, aim to get this under 10 minutes. 2) Press-ups, see how many you can do in 2 minutes and try aim for above 60. 3) Sit-ups, see how many you can do in 2 minutes and try aim for above 50. This is a very basic start to increasing your fitness you dont want to dive in head first and injury yourself as this will slow down the process. Do basic weights, 20KG Bells for each arm. Once you can do that easily and safely move it up a step. Do some Boxing circuits they will get your heart pumping. Boxing circuits are a brilliant way to get or keep fit and really take it out of you but you still have a great time doing them.
    This is a very basic fitness routine that you can either try or just pick at parts. *Source* Training PTI in the British Army. Deadlifts and weighted squats will help with your legs. Grab a weighted ball or something heavy and do deep squats so your nearly sitting down. Remember to always warm up and stretch after you have finished. People seem to overlook the importance of stretching before and after. IT HELPS
    Doing deep squats is a good way to workout your back if you arent flexible... as I doubt this guy is. I do not know a single person who can do deep squats who wasn't a gymnast or yogi at some point in their life. To this point, squat until your hamstrings and glutes are fully stretched out but do not squat lower. If you do, you are lifting with your back and not with your legs. Lifting with your back is bad as it can cause herniation.
    Last edited by jbhasban; 2013-03-19 at 02:34 PM.

Deleted
    If you keep you back straight upright and holding a weighted ball into your chest your using mainly leg muscles. We do this alot to build leg muscle to help with Yomping/Tabing. You have no reason to bend your back and obviously only go as deep as you feel comfortable. Your ball sack will be touching the floor before your arse cheeks! =|

Quote Originally Posted by ANC1 View Post
    If you keep you back straight upright and holding a weighted ball into your chest your using mainly leg muscles. We do this alot to build leg muscle to help with Yomping/Tabing. You have no reason to bend your back and obviously only go as deep as you feel comfortable. Your ball sack will be touching the floor before your arse cheeks! =|
    If you are doing this then you are not squatting correctly and are in fact squatting with your back (not to mention the amount of excess pressure being applied to her knees by allowing her calves and thighs to touch):

To properly squat, your back should look like the guy on the left:

You should squat until your thigh and calves barely touch or until you lose the lordotic curvature of your back.
    Last edited by jbhasban; 2013-03-19 at 04:31 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jbhasban View Post
    You should squat until your thigh and calves barely touch or until you lose the lordotic curvature of your back.
    She's bearing the weight on her head not her back as pictures in the diagram for the back squat. Look at any picture of a lifter performing a front squat or overhead squat..

As you can see, by moving the weight from the posterior to anterior the angles all change.

To keep the weight central in an Overhead or Front squat whilst only ensuring the anterior surface of the thigh goes below the knee-line would require a Herculian amount of Thoracic flexibility effectively bending yourself backwards.

To put it another way - here's your diagram with an additional line that shows the plane inwhich the weight needs to travel. Now. Keeping your knee and hip angles as per the pic, try and imagine the position the person would have to be in if the weight were being loaded onto the clavicle/rack to maintain these angles:

TL;DR Some people argue that going "ATG" is unhealthy for back squats but it's virtually fundamental for Front / OH squats.
    Last edited by mmoc36f8af66e9; 2013-03-20 at 01:33 AM.

Deleted
    one word : CHinups

Olympic lifters do not lift for health. They lift for performance. Olympic lifting, in general, is not healthy. It puts strain on joints that people should not do unless they are looking to compete in the sport.

If you look at the picture of Farris, you will note that 1) he is wearing olympic lifting shoes to compensate for poor flexibility in his calves 2) he is allowing his knees to cave inward and pronating his feet to compensate for even more calve inflexibility and 3) he DOES have a lordotic curve in his back. As to 2 and the fact that his thigh and calves are compressed, these two things cause tremendous pressure on the knee and can easily damage the ligaments. Many would be olympic lifters have to drop out of the running because they succumb to injury. It is only the very few rare people (like Harris) who manage to utilize such poor form and not injure themselves that become so good but it is not something that a regular person should do.

If you look at the picture of the woman, she also has an EXTREME lordotic curve in her back (to the extent of maybe even being hyperextended and unhealthy). That said, I like her form. I do think she could have been about an inch or two higher and that would have been better. She also has a slight SLIGHT amount of knee abduction.

In BOTH situations, you should not touch your calve and thigh together because that increases torque on the knee joint. Tremendously. By allowing the soft tissue to compress between the knee, you are creating a wedge that pulls apart the knee joint and increases the risk of knee injury tremendously. That said, the worst thing for the knee is being in that position and then shifting the weight towards the knee. The shifting of the weight combined with the wedge in the knee is horrible.

The reason to do an olympic squat or front squat is because it allows for more activation of the quads than a low back squat IN RELATION to posterior activation. It does this by allowing more flexion at the knee by bringing weight forward (thus why you see in the diagram on the right with the front squat the lifter has inhuman calve flexibility) while decreasing the amount of hip flexion. When training, the distinction between a front squat and a back squat is simply the ratio of anterior activation to posterior activation. I mean, yeah, you need to have good thoracic extension and good calf flexibility to do a front squat (I cant do them without olympic lifting shoes because my calves are super inflexible) and there are differences in how the core is utilized, but the general rule that you do not allow your thigh and calve to touch and you keep a lordotic curve stays true. When doing a front squat, very few people should be getting a complete stretching of the hamstrings or glutes (the only people who should are those who are competing in olympic lifting and those who have really poor posterior flexibility). I train my athletes to do front squats on their deadlift days because they are already hitting the posterior with the deadlift. The front squat is utilized to hit the anterior and the calves.

I did not say you should not lift ATG. I said very few people should. I trained a 100 lb girl who had really thin thighs and calves and who was super flexible. I have no problems with her going ATG. I also trained 200 lb guys who had really thick legs. It would be unhealthy for them to go ATG.

As for overhead squat... why anyone would do one who is not looking to compete is a competition is beyond me. The risk of fucking up your shoulders combined with the fact that it provides no athletic performance outside of olympic lifting makes it a worthless lift for a regular individual. This is one of my pet peeves with crossfit. They make you do all these lifts that are fundamentally worthless for all but the most hardcore lifters. I think it is good to have the thoracic extension and shoulder mobility necessary to do the lift but I do not think loading the shoulders in that position and risking impingement is worth the "cool factor" that this lift provides. It is good enough if you can do the lift with 10 lbs.

Anyways, look at the lower back/butt of the image of the girl I posted and compare it to the lower back/butt of the girl you posted. You should instantly see the problem in the girl I posted. The girl I posted is lacking some glute flexibility.
    Last edited by jbhasban; 2013-03-20 at 03:31 AM.

Deleted
    Olympic lifters do not lift for health. They lift for performance. Olympic lifting, in general, is not healthy. It puts strain on joints that people should not do unless they are looking to compete in the sport.
    To quote, straight from Mark Rippetoe's 'Starting Strength':

"Olympic weightlifters provide a perfect illustration of the safety and benefits of the full squat. Currently 167 of the 192 countries in the world compete in Olympic Weightlifting. More than 100,000 individuals compete in International Weightlifting Federation events alone, and the number of participants in total from the 167 countries would be staggering, likely on the order of 2 to 5 million (China alone boasts over 1 million lifters - per Ma Jian Ping). All over the world, weightlifters squat way below parallel every training day, and most programs call for six days per week. Isn't it fascinating that they are both strong and not under the care of an orthopedic surgeon?"

The myth that going below parrallel is simply that, a myth. People just regurgitate it along with gumpf about stressing ACLs and knee-caps without actually showing any concrete evidence to support it. I'm not even going to get into the debate about Overhead Squats in relation to Crossfit (Why was Crossfit even brought up?!) since yeah, in some weird universe thoracic flexibility seems to constitute "cool factor".

Quote Originally Posted by Reqq View Post
    To quote, straight from Mark Rippetoe's 'Starting Strength':

"Olympic weightlifters provide a perfect illustration of the safety and benefits of the full squat. Currently 167 of the 192 countries in the world compete in Olympic Weightlifting. More than 100,000 individuals compete in International Weightlifting Federation events alone, and the number of participants in total from the 167 countries would be staggering, likely on the order of 2 to 5 million (China alone boasts over 1 million lifters - per Ma Jian Ping). All over the world, weightlifters squat way below parallel every training day, and most programs call for six days per week. Isn't it fascinating that they are both strong and not under the care of an orthopedic surgeon?"

The myth that going below parrallel is simply that, a myth. People just regurgitate it along with gumpf about stressing ACLs and knee-caps without actually showing any concrete evidence to support it. I'm not even going to get into the debate about Overhead Squats in relation to Crossfit (Why was Crossfit even brought up?!) since yeah, in some weird universe thoracic flexibility seems to constitute "cool factor".
    I said nothing about going below parallel? Nice straw man argument though. I said you could go deep but you need to take into consideration your body shape.

From http://books.google.com/books/about/...d=3NALAQAAMAAJ

The primary danger to the knee occurs when the tissues of the calf and thigh press together altering the center of rotation back to the contact area creating a dislocation effect. The danger of knee injury in this situation may be prevented if either of the following factor are present:

1 center of gravity of the body system is kept forward of the altered center of rotation (this is impossible, it means the center of gravity has to be in front of the wedge like fulcrum)
    2 muscles of the thigh are strong enough to prevent the body from resting or bouncing on the calves. (this simply prevents the body from using the wedge like fulcrum to pry the knee apart)

To illustrate a good deep squat:

This squat clearly show the person is not resting her calves and thighs together to form a brace.

To illustrate a bad deep squat:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-I8oVmRwcnR...ront-squat.jpg

This guy is resting at the bottom and has lost his lordotic curve.

It is my experience that trainees who are able to get to a full squat like this bounce or rest at the bottom of the squat (effectively allowing their calves and thigh to brace together. You can see that this is EXACTLY what Farris is doing.

All due respect to riptoe, but he is simply wrong if he believes olympic lifters do not get injured at a disproportionate rate. Can you do olympic lifts safely? Yeah.
    Last edited by jbhasban; 2013-03-20 at 02:00 PM.

Deleted
    I said nothing about going below parallel? Nice straw man argument though.
    Quote me solid science that proves ATG squats are bad. Olympic lifters have been going ATG for years, it's perfectly safe provided you're operating within weight limits you can handle and have good form. You openly said Olympic lifting wasn't healthy which is complete bullshit. It's perfectly healthy.

(not to mention the amount of excess pressure being applied to her knees by allowing her calves and thighs to touch)
    Is what you initially wrote - now you're moving the goal posts to: "These squats clearly show the people are not resting their calves and thighs together to form a brace."

You have no way of demonstrating that Farris is doing that. You've made absolutely zero allowance for individual body-mechanics. Farris' front squat is perfectly fine.

Also, if you're going to call bullshit on Riptoe, post some actual figures.
    Last edited by mmoc36f8af66e9; 2013-03-20 at 01:59 PM.