Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Guilds should seriously consider prioritizing their mages when distributing gear

Deleted
    On dummy test I was very surprised that haste arcane build + evo (just spam AB, use your missiles and evo when you don't have any mana, dumb rotation) is doing more dps (again dummy test). Really sad the state of arcane . I'm gonna go as frost until I get close to 520 ilvl or so (currently 511, on dummy frost wins fire for about ~10-15%)

Quote Originally Posted by Rorschachs View Post
    Guilds should seriously consider prioritizing their mages when distributing gear
    If only =P
    My guild (10 man) has raided with 2 locks since forever due to most of us being old friends, raided there when it was 25 man and returned for 10s in DS/MoP, and I won't be taking loot from them. They'll need to be the ones pushing numbers. We also raid with a boomie, so suppose he'll get 2 piece first, then me 4 piece.
    If my own boomie was geared enough (500+) I'd just play that until later :/

Deleted
    Indeed big thanks for this thread zomgDPS!!! I can feel the ZOMG now!

Confession bear: no matter which thread I've read throughout the whole painful PTR-time I've always read your posts with the greatest interest man, you keep doing that! Consider writing a book

But yeah, as a fellow mage and follower of all the changes I completely agree with your opinion on the PTR-Mage before 5.2. I just disagree on the Blazing Speed thingie, which i still find useless for PVE, rather have zomgpyros with PoM, but time will show what's best on which boss. Currently it's still too early for hard conclusions.

And I want to thank you again and ofc all the other guys, who fucking tore their asses apart on the PTR testing, while we (me included) just visited their threads reading and masturbating xD

P.S. ty God, Fire
    Last edited by mmocaf48f95cd9; 2013-03-05 at 11:36 AM.

This post felt like it was bringing down mage moral but, oh well, still love mages. I think i'll be staying arcane until I get the standard gear required to preform decent DPS with fire.

If only it was as easy to gear for fire spec as it is with arcane.

Edit: After reading the patch notes again in live, I'm now second guessing my choice of sticking with arcane. I think i'll try out frost til I get gear that's good enough to preform with fire.
    Last edited by Ericdizzle; 2013-03-05 at 01:09 PM.

Hey zomgDPS,

Since you're one of the few who knows what he is talking about:

I went into this expansion really late and therefore only got 490 ilvl.
    When 5.2 hits, should I go fire regardless of the low ilvl?
    Or should I just go another spec?

Also, could you give a quick recap of how to play frost in raids ?
    Last edited by fusionz; 2013-03-05 at 01:47 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zomgDPS View Post
    Mages: Mages as a class (on the whole) are loosing in 5.2. Primarily due to an extension of the point I made above about Arcane, that being, that when a class doesn't really bring anything other than middling dps then there is a problem.
    That's the fault of Blizzard and it applies to any DPS class. Basically the vocabulary of a PvE player consists of one single word, and it goes like this: DPS! DPS? DPS. DPS!!!!! DPS?!?! and so on, ad infinitum. It's so one dimensional.

They need to make other things count in Raid PvE, equally as much as DPS! That is things like snares, roots, stuns, faster movement, immunities, trinkets, dispels, silence, disarm and so on. Those are just more or less useless gimmicks, that cannot compete in any way with that one single word: DPS!

In PvP these things are worth as much as DPS, that isn't true at all for PvE. I don't know why it is desirable to have a one dimensional focus in PvE which is targeted solely towards DPS (question goes to Blizzard or to those who defend this exclusive DPS thing).

Quote Originally Posted by joepesci View Post
    They need to make other things count in Raid PvE, equally as much as DPS! That is things like snares, roots, stuns, faster movement, immunities, trinkets, dispels, silence, disarm and so on. Those are just more or less useless gimmicks, that cannot compete in any way with that one single word: DPS!
    You do have the need for some CC in the HoF raid and, fights like empress, during progression our healers needed to work on their ability to top the raid off rather than the usual "need more DPS".

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by fusionz View Post
    Hey zomgDPS,

Since you're one of the few who knows what he is talking about:

I went into this expansion really late and therefore only got 490 ilvl.
    When 5.2 hits, should I go fire regardless of the low ilvl?
    Or should I just go another spec?

Also, could you give a quick recap of how to play frost in raids ?
    All depends on how much crit you'll have fully buffed. If sub-30% wouldn't recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by Serene View Post
    All depends on how much crit you'll have fully buffed. If sub-30% wouldn't recommend it.
    Mr.Robot shows that ill have 26% crit so assuming he didnt count self buffs I should jump to 36%? I think... im not really sure.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zomgDPS View Post
    What spec is zomgdeeps!? What should I spec for 5.2?!?!
    Depends.
    If you are a 'server first' type raider, then you might have a problem (I'll address that later).

For everyone else, play what you feel most comfortable playing (i.e. the spec which you are most intimately familiar with). As a general rule, if you are haste heavy go frost, mastery stick to arcane and if crit, obviously, go fire. (n.b. if you are mastery-haste mix, go Frost. Arcane performs very poorly with the same mix).
    My gear (498) is almost mastery.. anyway on the PTR dummy i do 5k more dps as frost. 5.2 boss require a lot of movements, so IMHO is better to go frost until you get enough crit to go fire.

10+ Year Old Account
    After our raid last night I changed all my gear/gems/reforges out and dropped 2 ilvl for fire. Currently 504 now. I was still able to get 34.41% self buffed crit before CM. Gladly I saved a few pieces that had crit on them. Fire shouldn't take that large of a loss come 5.2 I was still able to pull approx 120k to 125k single target in LFR, while I'm sure I messed up my rotation a little bit. Need to get back in the swing of things. I definitely think once the gear comes, fire is going to pull real good #s again.

OP i love you!
    Thanks for sharing!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by fusionz View Post
    Mr.Robot shows that ill have 26% crit so assuming he didnt count self buffs I should jump to 36%? I think... im not really sure.
    No. Mr. Robot accounts for raid buffs. I'm not sure it takes into account Molten Armor. Am using it to check out mine, will update as necessary.

EDIT:

Honestly I have no idea. My personal maths differs from the results that Mr. Robot is giving me as well, so for now I'm not even trusting it.
    Last edited by mmoc7cd3c912a5; 2013-03-05 at 03:15 PM.

I just came back to the game few weeks ago, should I reforged and regemmed everything to frost.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...ipfip/advanced

Should I stay frost? If I go fire my crit will only be at 25%. The guild I am in is not super hard core but they want to clear everything somewhat fast.

10+ Year Old Account
    "in the recent tweet/interview it seems Blizzard has realized their error with the level 90s and they will be changed"

I missed this. Where/when did they say this? I cannot find it.

Deleted
    You better stay frost, my friend, your gear is far behind than Fire's requirements right now. As someone mentioned - >30% Crit self buffed is not worth it.

Deleted
    OK - looked into it a little more and Mr. Robot is wrong to an extent.

It *does* take into account buffs BUT it leaves out Molten Armor (unless I just couldn't find the way to plug Molten Armor into it).

What I did was I used my Armory to figure out how much crit my current rating was giving me and how much crit I was getting off my base Intellect. Remember this Crit from Int value, it's important.

I then used Mr. Robot to work out what my crit rating increase would be when "Optimized" - IGNORE THE PERCENTAGE VALUES.

I then basically divided the Crit Rating by 600 to get the realistic % value that I could get from my gear, added the crit % I would get from my Intellect, then add 10%.

I get 30.1% crit fully buffed I believe with a bit of tweaking here and there. Makes sense as my gear is mostly optimised for Arcane and I only have a few Fire pieces but oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by rumaya2000 View Post
    "in the recent tweet/interview it seems Blizzard has realized their error with the level 90s and they will be changed"

I missed this. Where/when did they say this? I cannot find it.
    IIRC GC tweeted regarding the 90 talents early on 5.2 PTR, saying that they were fairly poorly designed and at the moment the current "fixes" would merely be band-aid fixes until they can be properly reworked in the next xpac.

Quote Originally Posted by Serene View Post
    OK - looked into it a little more and Mr. Robot is wrong to an extent.

It *does* take into account buffs BUT it leaves out Molten Armor (unless I just couldn't find the way to plug Molten Armor into it).

What I did was I used my Armory to figure out how much crit my current rating was giving me and how much crit I was getting off my base Intellect. Remember this Crit from Int value, it's important.

I then used Mr. Robot to work out what my crit rating increase would be when "Optimized" - IGNORE THE PERCENTAGE VALUES.

I then basically divided the Crit Rating by 600 to get the realistic % value that I could get from my gear, added the crit % I would get from my Intellect, then add 10%.

I get 30.1% crit fully buffed I believe with a bit of tweaking here and there. Makes sense as my gear is mostly optimised for Arcane and I only have a few Fire pieces but oh well.

IIRC GC tweeted regarding the 90 talents early on 5.2 PTR, saying that they were fairly poorly designed and at the moment the current "fixes" would merely be band-aid fixes until they can be properly reworked in the next xpac.
    Mr Robot should account for Molten Armor. Not only that, I am pretty sure it even includes the 3% crit reduction from bosses. Maybe that is the difference you are seeing?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by scuac View Post
    Mr Robot should account for Molten Armor. Not only that, I am pretty sure it even includes the 3% crit reduction from bosses. Maybe that is the difference you are seeing?
    Ah. Yes, this would make a lot more sense xD. In which case my next question is when we talk about 30% crit being a "breaking point", is this AFTER 3% crit reduc is applied?