Deleted

Could a new graphics card solve my fps issues?

Hi folks,

I recently upgraded some of my computers hardware but had to neglect my graphics card because I ran short of cash.
    This is my current system:

Asrock B75 PRO3-M Mainboard
    Intel Core i5-3570 (3,4 GHz)
    ATI Radeon HD 2900 XT
    8 GB Kingston DD3 RAM (1600 MHz)
    250 GB SSD
    1 TB HDD

I'm currently running Windows 7 Ultimate, WoW and Diablo 3 from the SSD with WoW-settings mostly on low with a few on good, but nothing close to ultra. I have fps issues (~10 fps) in raids, when cruising through Pandarias forests like Krasarang or when there is a lot of steam to be displayed. Moving or changing the camera angle sometimes feels horribly slow and everything but fluent.
    Diablo 3 starts to lag when there are 20+ enemies on screen... so basically all the time

So my question is: Could a new graphics card solve these issues?
    If yes: Which one would be a good deal with a budget of ~150€? I'd like to buy from Amazon EU.
    If no: What may be the cause of the described issues? Maybe drivers? I installed the latest Catalyst drivers.

Thanks in advance!

- Vayar

Yes. Radeon 2900XT is from 2007 and can be considered to be worthless trash today.

What country you live in, maybe there are better places to buy than Amazon? 150€ sounds like Radeon 7850 would be your best best. Try to get model with 2GB RAM instead of 1GB
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vayar View Post
    Hi folks,

I recently upgraded some of my computers hardware but had to neglect my graphics card because I ran short of cash.
    This is my current system:

Asrock B75 PRO3-M Mainboard
    Intel Core i5-3570 (3,4 GHz)
    ATI Radeon HD 2900 XT
    8 GB Kingston DD3 RAM (1600 MHz)
    250 GB SSD
    1 TB HDD

I'm currently running Windows 7 Ultimate, WoW and Diablo 3 from the SSD with WoW-settings mostly on low with a few on good, but nothing close to ultra. I have fps issues (~10 fps) in raids, when cruising through Pandarias forests like Krasarang or when there is a lot of steam to be displayed. Moving or changing the camera angle sometimes feels horribly slow and everything but fluent.
    Diablo 3 starts to lag when there are 20+ enemies on screen... so basically all the time

So my question is: Could a new graphics card solve these issues?
    If yes: Which one would be a good deal with a budget of ~150€? I'd like to buy from Amazon EU.
    If no: What may be the cause of the described issues? Maybe drivers? I installed the latest Catalyst drivers.

Thanks in advance!

- Vayar
    Yeah a new video card would definitely fix it, the rest of the system seems to be quite acceptable (atleast for WoW)

10+ Year Old Account
    Getting a new card would be a huge increase for you. The 2900 is ancient.

You might wanna increase you budget and get a http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0099AOAP8/?tag=pcp0f-21. if you decide to tweak with overclocking then you could get 660ti performance or higher.
    8700K (5GHz) - Z370 M5 - Mugen 5 - 16GB Tridentz 3200MHz - GTX 1070Ti Strix - NZXT S340E - Dell 24' 1440p (165Hz)

Deleted
    Absolutely it would make a huge difference.

If you can stretch the budget a little this would be a the best choice:

GIGABYTE AMD Radeon HD 7850 £145, they deliver to EU just like Amazon.

Otherwise this should do the trick:

ZOTAC GeForce GTX 650 Ti OC 2GB GDDR5 Free to Play Bundle £127

Removing the graphics card and running the Intel HD 4000 on the CPU would probably be an FPS increase.

Quote Originally Posted by Notarget View Post
    Not too sure about this one, but the 7850 definitely.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by b0sanac View Post
    Not too sure about this one, but the 7850 definitely.
    Yeah that's just on a higher budget than he listed so I feel within the budget the 650ti is better.

Deleted
    Thank you for all the fast replies!

I'm from Germany. We have some bigger electronic retailers here (Media Markt & Saturn) but they usually sell hardware for higher prices than Amazon.
    Novatech doesn't seem to deliver to Germany if I'm not mistaken :/

So... GeForce 660 and Radeon 7850 seem to be the winners. Are there any problems with the 660 and AMD (Asrock...) boards?
    And: What the heck do all those funky prefixes like GTX N660, GV-N660 and GTX660 mean? Is that a manufacturer thing or do they indeed point out different fabrics? As a newbie on this field I don't want to buy the wrong card because I didn't know the meaning of some numbers.
    In my naive view I only have to watch out for 660, memory type, 2 GB RAM and the right socket - right?

P.S.: I'll ignore all the 2900-bashing, poor old graphics card :P

http://www.mindfactory.de/product_in...e-Retail-.html

2GB HD 7850 for 155 Euros.

I can vouch for mindfactory too, when I ordered my PC parts from them they arrived within 48 hours of ordering.

I'm from Germany. We have some bigger electronic retailers here (Media Markt & Saturn) but they usually sell hardware for higher prices than Amazon.

So... GeForce 660 and Radeon 7850 seem to be the winners. Are there any problems with the 660 and AMD (Asrock...) boards?
    And: What the heck do all those funky prefixes like GTX N660, GV-N660 and GTX660 mean? Is that a manufacturer thing or do they indeed point out different fabrics? As a newbie on this field I don't want to buy the wrong card because I didn't know the meaning of some numbers.
    In my naive view I only have to watch out for 660, memory type, 2 GB RAM and the right socket - right?

As far as your P.S. goes, I don't know why you would get all those items with a HD2900. Either you were slowly updating or just though everything would be ok. As far as graphic cards go, I'd stretch your budget a little and try to go get yourself a 660ti. if you absolutely can't then I would go with the 7850.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by valliant13 View Post
    As far as your P.S. goes, I don't know why you would get all those items with a HD2900. Either you were slowly updating or just though everything would be ok.
    Well, my brother came up with the idea that he needed to upgrade his own computer and came up with the idea to pay me for my old hardware (5 year old stuff mostly, you don't want to know what my brother ran until recently when this junk is an upgrade for him ), so I was in quite a rush to replace those parts. He didn't need a graphics card and my budget ran out, so I kept the 2900 for good. But after running this setup for about a month, I'm a bit unsatisfied with how the games perform. So basically I hoped for an increase in performance by replacing my cpu, RAM etc., but knew that I had to replace the graphics card eventually

I figured it was something along the lines of the latter. I would say invest in the GPU as well as CPU/MOBO. You couldve spared the 250gig SSD for a 120 and gotten a better card when you got all that stuff...or just waited on the ssd all together and used that money for a decent graphics card

---------- Post added 2013-03-05 at 04:05 PM ----------

and like I said, if you can increase your budget a little I would go with a 660ti personally...however if you absolutely cant just get the 7850.

If your really short on money you can try a little older video card instead of the brand new ones.

Just for reference : I am using a i5 2500k with 6gb ddr3. and a old geforce GTX460 (2010 card) with average 60-80 fps during 25 man raids (90-100 fps when out of combat or flying around) When its extremely Aoeish (think trash packs of HoF in boss room of the first boss) then it drops to around 20-30 or something.
    I have pretty much all settings on ultra.

actually malackai is right too....the 6950 is a pretty solid card and so is a 6970. if you can find any of the last gen graphics cards(500 series for nvidia, 560 or better or 6000 series, 6950-6970 from ati) I would go with those.

Quote Originally Posted by valliant13 View Post
    actually malackai is right too....the 6950 is a pretty solid card and so is a 6970. if you can find any of the last gen graphics cards(500 series for nvidia, 560 or better or 6000 series, 6950-6970 from ati) I would go with those.
    That 2GB 7850 I linked will be hard to beat at that price (155 EUR), I can't find a 6950 under 200 euros.

Deleted
    I really appreciate all your help!

I will sleep a few nights over this and then decide. It'll probably be the Radeon Butler Log linked

Hardwareversand.de is were I get my components from and I'm in Ireland. It's a cheap place to buy.
    http://www.hardwareversand.de/articlesearch.jsp