View Poll Results: If you use the word nigger are you a racist>?

Voters
117. This poll is closed
  • Yes

25 21.37%
  • No

92 78.63%
Page 1 of 9
... LastLast

If you use the word nigger, are you racist?

I'm an older white male that frequently uses the word nigger. It is how I was brought up. Listening to rap since I was 7 and eazy-e released his 1st tape. I've got into many fights about my right to use the word but I have never stopped to think I was a racist until my dad asked me " are you racist"? I laughed and said no why do you think such a thing. He said cause of the words I use. I explained to him that nigger doesn't mean what it did in his day and nobody really cares. Then I come on this site and I see people are very sensitive and act like its a huge deal when the nigger word is brought up. I've talked to my 2 black friends and they cool with me saying the word cause they know me, they know I can be a real nigger at times myself lol. Anways I dont know what im trying to achieve with this post, guess just getting something off my chest.

Deleted
    Whatever society around you thinks about it, the word nigger stems from a time where it was an insanely racist term. It was used to describe people with a black skin, because they weren't considered 'human'.

So, Yes. You're being racist for using the word. You might not mean it in a racist way, but there's absolutely nothing non-racist about that word.

For argument's sake: I'm a white male.

10+ Year Old Account
    reading a post with that many racial slurs........anyways around me people usually dont use racial swear words since i usually immediately confront them about it regardless of who they are. yeah i would say you are absolutely are racist.
    Last edited by breadisfunny; 2013-03-06 at 07:50 AM.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Yup it is absolutely a racist term and people who claim to be 'reclaiming' it are generally idiots.

When the niggers can call them self nigger in rap songs, on TV and in Movies, when they try to sound cool. I can't see why everyone else can't use the word to describe them. I mean it is what they are, one should be proud of what one is and I guess they figured that out them self.

If I was a nigger, I would be a PROUD nigger!
    Last edited by Nelle; 2013-03-06 at 08:01 AM.

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake

You use "gay" or "fag" commonly as well, I take it?

Either way, when you often use words that disparage whole groups, don't be surprised if people aren't very appreciative of it.

Stood in the Fire Constellation's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    You do realize that the origin of the word is because of racism?

10+ Year Old Account
    No, it's just a word. Get over it. Ironically enough, I've found the word "racist" to be at least as condescending as "nigger". I love irony, it just completes the world, doesn't it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    Trolling will result in the loss of your forum posting privileges, and the removal of your genitals with my teeth while I hum Oasis songs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, you are. It's systematic and subconscious rather than direct and conscious.
    In fact as far as I'm aware the UK is the only european nation that outright bans guns for civilians.
    Shotguns I'll give you (provided you're allowed 12 and larger gauges... because I mean... come on...) but not .22s.
    This is why people ban guns. Gun supporters don't know what guns are.

Quote Originally Posted by oxymoronic View Post
    I'm an older white male that frequently uses the word nigger. It is how I was brought up. Listening to rap since I was 7 and eazy-e released his 1st tape. I've got into many fights about my right to use the word but I have never stopped to think I was a racist until my dad asked me " are you racist"? I laughed and said no why do you think such a thing. He said cause of the words I use. I explained to him that nigger doesn't mean what it did in his day and nobody really cares. Then I come on this site and I see people are very sensitive and act like its a huge deal when the nigger word is brought up. I've talked to my 2 black friends and they cool with me saying the word cause they know me, they know I can be a real nigger at times myself lol. Anways I dont know what im trying to achieve with this post, guess just getting something off my chest.
    such much dumb in these responses. You're only racist if you're a racist and I think you've answered that question. Obviously you wouldn't say nigger towards people that would be offend because you're not a racist.

I said chink on these forums once in a non-pervasive way, a word I grew up laughing with my fellow Asian classmates about, and I got infracted for it and called (funnily enough) worse things than "chink". This forum is strange.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valanna View Post
    No, it's just a word. Get over it. Ironically enough, I've found the word "racist" to be at least as condescending as "nigger". I love irony, it just completes the world, doesn't it?
    no verbal slandering entire races is not "just a word" and i will not "get over it" racism is not something that should be tolerated as it can and does lead to more violent acts.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Racism comes in all colors.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Alcan View Post
    such much dumb in these responses. You're only racist if you're a racist and I think you've answered that question. Obviously you wouldn't say nigger towards people that would be offend because you're not a racist.
    He clearly stated that he uses it all the time, and that he's in arguments with people finding it racist often enough. Learn to read, perhaps?

@breadisfunny: Not sure if I should find your signature racist, in the context of this thread.

Not at all. If black people are willing to call each other it, they obviously don't mind the word. They call white people "White boy" or "Cracker" and its not racist?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    reading a post with that many racial slurs........anyways around me people usually dont use racial swear words since i usually immediately confront them about it regardless of who they are. yeah i would say you are absolutely are racist.
    You don't have many black ( negro ) friends do you? "Confront" a negro and expect " yo ass to get capped".

It's very offensive.....you shouldn't be saying that and I dare you to say that around the wrong company to see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Pezkid View Post
    Not at all. If black people are willing to call each other it, they obviously don't mind the word. They call white people "White boy" or "Cracker" and its not racist?
    Which is also racist.

Deleted
    Depends on the context, words can be said with or without hateful intent. But really you should refrain from using it because:

a) You don't have to. You won't explode if you don't. There's plenty of alternatives, expand your vocabulary a little.
    b) You might say it to the wrong person and end up in hospital.
    c) It's just generally an anti-social thing to do, you are not taking into consideration those around you.

I'm pretty sure the "AMG M8 IT JUST A WOORD I SAID IT ALL DA TIMEZ" brigade will turn up shortly, but they are usually best ignored and told to go express their "individualism" elsewhere.

I have a hard time buying into your display of complete naivity, as if you spent the last 60 years under a rock. I don't get the point of this thread. You know very well what the word means, why some people will stumble over it, just as you know very well what a racist is and if you are one or not.