Deleted

getting back into non MMO games, Keyboard Vs Controller?

OK, so for the last 7 years i have only played WOW. I played Half Ligfe 2 when it came out and have recently re played it. I currently just use my Keyboard and mouse (G15/Razer Naga) but i am building my new PC this month and want to try some new games. I am thinking of getting DMC and either BF3 ore ARMA 3 (its in alpha). I have also been a big fan of the Tony Hawk series of games and may pick up the newest edition that is out. Would you all recommend staying with the keyboard and mouse or getting a controller to play FPS with? Although i have not owned a console since Xbox and PlayStation (the originals) i have played all the halos on 360 at friends places. If you recommend a controller then which one? Thanks all!

Controller is superior only in very limited set of games and even in those games you'd be better of with game specific fancy tool, like wheel for racing games.

FPS most definately work best with mouse and keyboard.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

You might consider a lighter mouse for most games tho than such mmo-mice with many buttons. I find mine very heavy when trying to play Starcraft 2 for example I switch to a simpler mouse.

Deleted
    The standard XBox 360 controller is the best...and most obvious choice to go with. It's affordable and pretty much the de-facto standard controller anyway.

As for which controller to use depends very much on the game you're playing.

Mouse and Keyboard will be superior for FPS and MMOs in almost all cases. Even 3rd person action games tend to be more accurate with mouse and keyboard but a controller works as well.

Jump and Runs and racing games are usually better with a controller because the analog stick isn't a binary input device.

Some games like Batman - Arkham City are a matter of personal preference. I started with a controller but switched back to keyboard because it was more accurate.

Deleted
    Thanks all, Guess i will be buying a new/Niceer keyboared rather then investing in a controller.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's no better option, it depends on your practice. If you spend 7 years playing WoW, you're likely to be better using keyboard/mouse. I, on the other hand, do a lot better using a gamepad.

Why not do both so you have options? I play a lot of games on my 70" TV, kicked back in my Recliner so I have a wireless mouse and keyboard and an xbox 360 controller that I can use to play PC games. Which i use depends on the game