Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheekin View Post
    Control over your diet? Are you kidding me.
    Nope - not kidding.

Two basic rules, eat less, eat often (every 2-3 hours) and you're done.
    So eating a steak pie from the bakery every 2-3 hours and I'm done ? I think that might not be helpful.

You can eat everything you want, just small amounts.
    LOL - it isn't anything like that simple.

Especially when you don't have any food facilities under your control in your house. I'm pretty much dependent on what I can get prepared and ready to eat from take aways. Unless it doesn't involve a fridge, freezer or heating/cooking equipment.

Man was eating twinkies only and he lost weight plus body fat. It is indeed super hard to eat something small every 2-3 hours, very hard indeed...[/QUOTE]

---------- Post added 2013-03-07 at 12:45 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by SourceOfInfection View Post
    If you purchase healthy foods that are on sale and in bulk at your grocery store, you could eat healthy.
    You are correct, however - I can't buy in bulk, I have nowhere to put the stuff. Remember - as I've said, I rent a ROOM, nothing more.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    Can you please explain why the perfect analogy is absurd ?

Whilst falling from a building, simple solutions are of no help - because you don't have control over your descent.
    I have no control over my diet due to financial reasons - thus simple solutions are ineffective.
    Because you do have choice, its cheaper to eat healthily. Poor education may make it seam different. But its cheaper to eat healthier than buy processed unhealthy foods. Also, for weight loss it does not matter what you eat, its about total calorie intake it does not matter what those calories are. Just eat less. For a healthy balanced diet you need to pay attention to what you eat, but for pure weight loss all that matters is calories.

And going for a run costs very little, or even walks will do it.

Being fat is a choice, obeying gravity is not. If you really think thats a good or even perfect analogy as you say, I dont see the point of discussing anything with you as its not going to achieve anything.
    Last edited by mmoc7b2c979220; 2013-03-07 at 12:48 PM.

Deleted
    i'm fat and the only one i blame is myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Xihuitl View Post
    Because you do have choice, its cheaper to eat healthily.
    NO I do not, please look NO up in the dictionary if you are unsure of the meaning.

And going for a run costs very little, or even walks will do it.
    Medical disability prevents me from doing that.

Being fat is a choice,
    Not all the time. It is like saying being poor is a choice... life just isn't that simple.

I've gained a lot of weight for the past few months, I'm 24 now and I have always been thin so this is kind of new territory for me.

I know why I've gained weight though, 1) due to medication and 2) too much calories. I've recently begun counting my calories and I'm trying (ever so slowly) to change. Good news is I haven't gained any more weight for the past 2-3 weeks, so perhaps I'm on the right track and just need to watch what I eat even more.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Deleted
    You really make this hard. I even linked you an article in which frickin PROFESSOR OF HUMAN NUTRITION proved my point. Nah doesn't matter you're still right -.-
    My friend lost 30kg in matter of one year. Eating 7 meals per day, most of the time it were small sandwiches he had to prepare in under a minute because he works/studies so doesn't have time. He didn't exercise at all.

What I'm trying to say here diet is not a punishment, everyone can do it and it's painless.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by atsawin26 View Post
    So because I have a slow metabolism due to hypothyroidism, and have a hard time regulating my weight, I am not capable of offering anything to society or the human race and I should just not bother breeding? Despite everything else I've done or will do, because I *MAY* pass on a tendency to have a slow metabolism and hypothyroidism to my child I should just not have one? I'm essentially the same as someone suffering genetic birth defects like Downe Syndrome?
    The key note here is you are still able to contribute. Secondly, some genetic conditions are more likely to pass down than others. Thirdly, I'm running off the assumption that you contribute to society somehow. However, if you are unable to do anything at all and require care to survive, I am comparing it to down syndrome and I feel it is irresponsible for you to breed. Unless you can make sure that gene doesn't pass down or at the very least minimize the chances if treatment is available.

I have to step out for a couple of hours to get some gym time in, as I sit on my ass most of the day I try to get some physical time in. I'm not abandoning our conversation so feel free to post your opinion and I'll check back when I'm home.
    Last edited by The One Percent; 2013-03-07 at 12:57 PM.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

Deleted
    NO I do not, please look NO up in the dictionary if you are unsure of the meaning.

Not all the time. It is like saying being poor is a choice... life just isn't that simple.
    Eat less calories, how can it cost more to eat less? How can i put this more simply? You lose weight if you eat less calories than you use. So to lose weight you calculate your daily calorie requirements based on your lifestyle and deduct 10-15%, and only eat that, you will lose weight. Its physically impossible for you not to.

Being fairly well educated i understand what no means, i also understand what a capslock key is for, i suggest you go learn, it may make your posts appear less full of rage.
    Last edited by mmoc7b2c979220; 2013-03-07 at 12:54 PM.

Losing weight is all about calories. We are not talking about living healthy life and what your body needs. It's strictly about weight loss which is up to the amount of calories you get. Also that falling out of building comparison, has to be the worst kind I have ever seen on these forums.
    I hate to break it to you, but it's not always that simple.

I've recently been diagnosed with PCOS, this is a disease where my body does not produce d-chiro-inositol. This chemical is what tells my body to utilize the insulin in its blood to break down carbohydrates. Without it, all carbs are converted directly to fat, among other problems (hormonal imbalances to infertility). In order for me to lose weight, I have to do twice the work to break down the calories I get from carbs, and this includes those I get from healthy foods like fruits. I suspect I've had this since a teenager, and it explains why I would work so hard to lose weight and make very little progress, and when I did lose it, it would go back on twice as easy as it came off.

There are supplements that help with the problem, but they're expensive ($60 a month for one pill, not exactly cheap but they do work as I've been on them 2 weeks and already seeing weight loss). I've also reduced my carb intake, not completely, but have tried moving over to more whole wheat and completely cut out sodas and sweets (outside of family functions and parties, of course). My body has been responding to these changes better than cutting calories alone ever has.

And FYI, the research I've done estimates that about 1 in 9 women suffer from this condition, but only a fraction are diagnosed with it.
    Last edited by Chudah; 2013-03-07 at 12:55 PM.

You really make this hard. I even linked you an article in which frickin PROFESSOR OF HUMAN NUTRITION proved my point. Nah doesn't matter you're still right -.-
    My friend lost 30kg in matter of one year. Eating 7 meals per day, most of the time it were small sandwiches he had to prepare in under a minute because he works/studies so doesn't have time. He didn't exercise at all.

What I'm trying to say here diet is not a punishment, everyone can do it and it's painless.
    People don't like to admit fault, especially when the problem is one they created for themselves.

It's so much easier to place the blame on other people so you don't have to face yourself.

Deleted

being fat is partially a choice

see videos like this ; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX9FSZJu448

also cheaper food =/= less healthy. you can have a better diet eating for cheaper if you shop well

Quote Originally Posted by Xihuitl View Post
    Eat less calories, how can it coat more to eat less?
    Round and round in circles. Where do you find cheap low calorie take away food? You don't. Low calorie costs between 2 and 5 times more than equivalent healthy options.

Been there done that. I know what I have to do - is eat better food, that is something I'm not in a financial position to do at this time.

---------- Post added 2013-03-07 at 12:56 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Morrissey View Post
    also cheaper food =/= less healthy. you can have a better diet eating for cheaper if you shop well
    Again - and again, shopping for raw produce, and cooking at home are not an option - cause I don't have a home.

---------- Post added 2013-03-07 at 12:58 PM ----------

It isn't an available option for everyone ... you may have linked a fancy professor, I can link a scientist saying he discovered unicorns. Means nothing.

What is a fact is that this is a complex problem, requiring complex solutions.... I know exactly what I require, I just can't afford it yet.

Two years ago I couldn't afford to exercise, once I could - I started and still do, 4 times a week.
    Last edited by schwarzkopf; 2013-03-07 at 12:59 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Chudah View Post
    I hate to break it to you, but it's not always that simple.

I've recently been diagnosed with PCOS, this is a disease where my body does not produce d-chiro-inositol. This chemical is what tells my body to utilize the insulin in its blood to break down carbohydrates. Without it, all carbs are converted directly to fat, among other problems (hormonal imbalances to infertility). In order for me to lose weight, I have to do twice the work to break down the calories I get from carbs, and this includes those I get from healthy foods like fruits. I suspect I've had this since a teenager, and it explains why I would work so hard to lose weight and make very little progress, and when I did lose it, it would go back on twice as easy as it came off.

There are supplements that help with the problem, but they're expensive ($60 a month for one pill, not exactly cheap but they do work as I've been on them 2 weeks and already seeing weight loss). I've also reduced my carb intake, not completely, but have tried moving over to more whole wheat and completely cut out sodas and sweets (outside of family functions and parties, of course). My body has been responding to these changes better than cutting calories alone ever has.

And FYI, the research I've done estimates that about 1 in 9 women suffer from this condition, but only a fraction are diagnosed with it.
    This basicly means you have to do twice the work normal people would. Which is indeed big disadvantage for you. But that case is the same eat less/more often nothing else, you will just have to put two times the work others do. Life ain't fair but, we do have control over it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jevlin View Post
    A more curious question is why random people feel obligated to care about what others do with their bodies? They aren't doing you no harm. I think ya'll have too much spare time on your hands.
    Aside from being offensive to the eyes, they put a huge strain on the health and welfare system.

Quote Originally Posted by quikbunny View Post
    Aside from being offensive to the eyes, they put a huge strain on the health and welfare system.
    A lot of things can be offensive to others eyes, shall we start going after anything anyone can view as visually offensive? is that really a can of worms you feel like opening?

e do have control over it.
    Sometimes we do, sometimes we don't ... I know that for long periods of time, I don't even get to choose when I go to sleep, nor what time I wake up. And no, I don't mean I have to wake up to go to work (which I could choose not to do), I mean I don't get to choose either of those things.

Deleted
    Round and round in circles. Where do you find cheap low calorie take away food? You don't. Low calorie costs between 2 and 5 times more than equivalent healthy options.

Been there done that. I know what I have to do - is eat better food, that is something I'm not in a financial position to do at this time.

---------- Post added 2013-03-07 at 12:56 PM ----------

Again - and again, shopping for raw produce, and cooking at home are not an option - cause I don't have a home.

---------- Post added 2013-03-07 at 12:58 PM ----------

It isn't an available option for everyone ... you may have linked a fancy professor, I can link a scientist saying he discovered unicorns. Means nothing.

What is a fact is that this is a complex problem, requiring complex solutions.... I know exactly what I require, I just can't afford it yet.

Two years ago I couldn't afford to exercise, once I could - I started and still do, 4 times a week.
    Just stop it. You compare a Professor from University who made an experiment on himself that proved to be right to unicorns. You really are hopeless. Be fat becuase I bet once you have money "to eat the right stuff" you will find some other excuse.

Just stop it. You compare a Professor from University who made an experiment on himself that proved to be right to a unicorns. You really are hopeless. Be fat becuase I bet once you have money "to eat the right stuff" you will find some other excuse.
    At the end of the day, it's no concern of yours whether he's overweight or not.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by superstarz View Post
    So i know this fat person and she is really fat
    So fat to the point she cant walk without having pains in her knee.

But when people ask her to lose weight she says she cant lose weight and shes fat because its in her genes.

When i heard that i was just thinking.
    "oh its your genes making you fat is it? it's not the 2 bacon and egg sandwiches and 3 hashbrowns and sausages you had for breakfast, or the whole pizza, garlic bread and 10 chicken wings and 2litre coke you had for dinner?

seriously people need to own up to their actions.
    If i wanted to be fat i could, i could eat anything i want and get fat but i choose not to.
    Eating is like a luxury, especially eating food that taste good.
    So sometimes people need to sacrafice some food to lose weight..

Do you know a fat person who blames others or genes for their weight?
    Or are you a fat person who blames others?
    "Why do fat people never take responsibility"
    You are generalizing, not all fat people are like that.

Yes I know people who blame genes, diseases and other things as a reason that they can't lose weight.
    I do know more fat people who know they are fat because they like the extra gravy, snacks and hate exercising.

Honestly, being fat/lazy can run in your genes, but its never an excuse for being fat because all human beings can drop in weight.

But generally speaking I agree with OP, fat people that make excuses and lie to themselves are annoying regardless of it being my concern or not. Also I reserve my right to laugh at pictures like this:

And if they complain about it, then I would probably laugh even harder.
    Last edited by mmoc4ea3ad99ad; 2013-03-07 at 01:07 PM.

This basicly means you have to do twice the work normal people would. Which is indeed big disadvantage for you. But that case is the same eat less/more often nothing else, you will just have to put two times the work others do. Life ain't fair but, we do have control over it.
    I'm not saying life is fair, the issue is I never knew about this until about month ago. How could I have known how to combat the problem when conventional wisdom on weight loss wasn't working for me? The funny thing is, a few months ago I went onto a high folic acid diet in order to assist with fertility, as a result I ended up cutting down 90% carbs and stopped worrying so much about fat content, and I was eating a lot more than I had in the past trying to get as much folic acid naturally into my diet. I lost 10 lbs in 4 weeks and that was with exercising only 10 minutes 5 days a week.

It was when I started going to doctors for the fertility problem that I discovered I suffered from this disease. And that explained a lot of what I was experiencing with my diet and weight loss. Again, it's not that simple.
    Last edited by Chudah; 2013-03-07 at 01:07 PM.