Thread: The future

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    yes the north pole is mostly floating the south pole isn't, from my quick search if the north pole completely melts its already being displaced so nothing changes, if the whole of the south melts, we get a water rise of about 200 feet. if the south pole melts ill be under water i think.

its a tiny bit confusing, but here it is, north pole 10% south pole 90%, i'm not actually even sure which one is melting the most i haven't looked it up in all fairness.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2013-03-10 at 03:14 AM.

Deleted
    Yeah, I don't buy into the idea that everything is getting worse and we're heading for destruction.

I know we have current issues, but so did the past.

The hole in the Ozon lair was closed.....maybe we can mitigate the impact of Global Warming too. And even if we can't...maybe the changes won't be all that massive after all. I know Horror Scenarios get a lot of publicity, but I'm not convinced a 2 degree temperature increase will cause such drastic changes.

I'm even fairly positive about humanity as a whole. We've seen the end of half a dozen dictatorships in the past few years alone and although the path to democracy is rough....I believe they'll get there eventually. Iraq and Afghanistan are no longer warzones....although the latter will probably never be at peace...but still...a step forward.

Yes, for every two steps forward humanity takes one step and a skip backwards...but overall we're still moving on.

The biggest threat to progress currently in our society lies within the corruption of our political systems, something that is especially obvious in current Washington D.C. politics. Lobbyism, Corporate Power, Corruption, Cronyism, Populism etc. are the biggest threats to our future, not Global Warming, Meteorites or Overpopulation.

2 degrees can be devastating, ofc there are measures you can take like planting crops that can tolerate the higher temps, but for example say if the temperature rose too high, birds no longer fly south for the winter, certain flowers no longer grow, those flowers feed a specific insect that feeds another creature blah blah blah, chain reaction. everything starts off small, when the small stages of the food chain break down so do the higher tiers.

it was in the news not so long ago, they said something like if it continues, wheat will have to be replaced by bananas (plantains) i hope you like your fruits guys!
    Last edited by Heathy; 2013-03-10 at 03:28 AM.

Deleted
    When the bees are gone, start panicking.

In the grim darkness of the far future there is only war, i think that applies to our world to, there has always been wars and there will always be wars, we will destroy this planet as we only get more advanced that meens more advanced bombs and weapons and technology that will only speed up our destruction. The human race needs to die out and restart the process, we are greedy and the human race will cause its own extinction.
    Do you hear the voices too?

Quote Originally Posted by Crowe View Post
    but I'm not convinced a 2 degree temperature increase will cause such drastic changes.
    Unfortunately your personal scepticism has no effect on the outcome. So pardon me but I'll continue to listen to the scientists instead of those who do not have expertise in this field.
    Last edited by zorkuus; 2013-03-10 at 03:50 PM.

Deleted
    It´s our nature to destroy...

And as Sarah Connor said : "There is no fate but what we make"

Death is the future of everyone, nothing we can do much to prevent it, other factos may or may not accelerate that process...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Led ++ View Post
    When the bees are gone, start panicking.
    by then it will be far too late.

and to the poster above me: so your going to use that quote as self justification to ruin the world at the children's expense?
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by Heathy View Post
    it was in the news not so long ago, they said something like if it continues, wheat will have to be replaced by bananas (plantains) i hope you like your fruits guys!
    So basically we'll be eating banana bread all the time.
    GUYS
    DUMP YOUR SOLAR PANELS
    FOSSIL FUELS ALL THE WAY
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

Deleted
    The future is either going to be a golden age of awesome, with massive advances in technology, huge changes to the way your average every day person lives, an end to resource shortages and the start of exploring and inhabiting space.

OR

We are all fucked, for this reason or that.

Honestly, I really don't know which one it's going to be but I hope it's the first one.

If I couldn't be cynical... I think I would cease to exist.

Deleted
    /wrist cut

Quote Originally Posted by Widdler View Post
    but just keep trying to make us feel guilty about something we had nothing to do with!
    The problem with your silly argument is that if manmade global warming is true then you do have something to do with it, everyone does.

My parents were worried our house would be a block of ice, that is what the scientists were talking about then.
    Scientists being wrong on one thing does not automatically make them wrong on another.
    Last edited by zorkuus; 2013-03-10 at 06:57 PM.

I hope Korea drops some nukes so we can live Fallout

Quote Originally Posted by Heathy View Post

unfortunately death and destruction are the end results for most things, nothing lasts forever to think you can somehow change that is simply outlandish.
    If its outlandish where have you been for the last 3 thousand years of technological development
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Deleted
    You tend to get cynical when you see little progress happening and stupid things repeating. People tend to learn things the hard way. Just saying. I dont like being cynical and I dont like cynics, but the world pretty much forces it on you, unless you live in complete blissful ignorance.
    Last edited by mmocb13165abed; 2013-03-10 at 08:42 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Eh, I know how you feel. People keep whining. One moment about the government, the next moment how their lives suck, the next about the future. Personally, I'm generally not an optimist so this (the future that I envision for myself) is what I consider to be realistic; I'll be an excelling research physicist working somewhere in the EU (new center of physics research), hopefully CERN, living in a technologically marvelous, environmentally clean and nuclear-fusion powered city.

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    If its outlandish where have you been for the last 3 thousand years of technological development
    ive only been alive for 26 years, i guess before that i was composed of atoms which were part of other things.

no technological development has made something 'eternal' everything has a beginning and an end.

tell me something man has made that has actually improved the longevity of something to the stage where it will 'never cease to exist'.

i don't want to sound too doom and gloom, but the idea that we can somehow last forever is silly, eventually there will be an end even if that comes in the form of a supernova or an asteroid or a plague or greed, it will happen eventually.

i think we'll most probably see a combination of the latter two, if we're still around when the sun goes supernova then i think that is an achievement in itself, heck ill be amazed if we outlast the dinosaurs tbh. although ofc by that time ill be long gone.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2013-03-10 at 09:25 PM.