Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Total Annihilation

Hey, just wondering does anyone here still play/remember playing Total Annihilation (RTS)?

I have started properly getting back into it now, playing online over at GameRanger, however it is a little quiet so was looking to see if anyone fancied getting back into it and giving me a game

For those who haven't played TA, it is an RTS that came out around the same time as SC and C&C, although it never became as popular it has been regarded as one of the best all time RTS games, including the promising look of it's future "sister" Planetary Annihilation.

If you fancy trying this out, and have $5 or so spare, check it out on gog.com and buy it from there (about 1GB in total I think), then get over to TA Universe to see what mod (if at all) you may fancy trying!

It is a really great RTS, and even though it came out in what, 1997, it still looks and plays really well, even up to like 2500x1800 resolutions.

If you want any more info or what not about this game feel free to let me know, hopefully I will be seeing some of you soon :P

I'll promise to go easy

Deleted
    Bah, no takers

10+ Year Old Account
    Ah I used to love that game lol, I still have it on my computer should I ever feel the need to basically nuke something

Isn't Supreme Commander pretty much a Total Annihilation remake? Had some good fun with TA back in the day but haven't played much of Supreme Commander. There's a Supreme Commander 2 as well as far as I know, might want to check those out.

Deleted
    Freeware Remake in 3d Engine (various Games + Server Browser) : Spring RTS

Kickstarted Remake by some of TA/SC's former developers: Planetary Annihilation

And yes, Supreme Commander 1 (+ Forged Alliance) is a somewhat spiritual successor to TA. SC2 is a dumbed down version of SC1.
    Just wait until it's on sale on steam

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Archaeon View Post
    Isn't Supreme Commander pretty much a Total Annihilation remake? Had some good fun with TA back in the day but haven't played much of Supreme Commander. There's a Supreme Commander 2 as well as far as I know, might want to check those out.
    SupCom was built on the legacy of TA, although I never manged to get into it properly, think mainly due to nostalgia from playing the original. SupCom2 was, from what ive read, utter crap and not worth getting.

Paq you should download the Escalation mod for TA, the explosions have been made beefier and what not, its pretty crazy!

And yes Grantji, planetary annihilation does look very interesting, something to look forward to later this year!

Deleted
    Anyone fancy venturing into something old/new? (borrowed/blue lol)

Man, this game. Quality game. As I recall it, first RTS to include shots that could clip on a mountain or start a forest fire. Also included more options within an alliance than C&C did at the time (for example, trading resources, map information, or buildings). Pretty good story, too. Unfortunately, it's got some software limitations that show its age (for example, maps can only get so large before pathing goes out the window and planes start flying upside-down) and the AI isn't especially bright. Still worthwhile, though.

The game is pretty good on its own, but http://www.tauniverse.com/ is always worth a look for mods.

10+ Year Old Account
    A great game that deserves more praise IMO. It did some many that others RTS games didn't do/still don't do. I remember playing on the metal planets and have unlimited metal resources or setting up long ranged guns. Even better was using land to deny your opponent firepower.

10+ Year Old Account
    I still play this now and then. Awesome game. Played it via hamachi with a couple of friends.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dyra View Post
    Because what they are atm are plait tugging, sniffing, glaring, prissy, clothes obsessed bitches who I would quite cheerfully drown.
    I often post from my mobile device, typos in my posts are 99% likely to be because of that.
    All I would ever want and need is a hug.

Deleted
    Pretty much the first RTS I played as a kid, ahhh good memories. I tried to play online but I got hammered so hard it wasn't even funny, I don't think I knew how to handle resources very well to be fair... I didn't even know how some of the units worked!

However, I do remember a hilarious trick. You can build Aircraft to carry units, even if it was enemy units! It was a brilliant method of pinching the opposite factions builders to capture them and have both Arm and Core units, but you could also self-destruct the carriers. It was always good fun early on in a game to swarm the enemy Commander with something like Pee-Wees and send as many carriers as you had to try pick their commander up and self destruct him :')

10+ Year Old Account
    I used to love playing this game over msn me and a friend tried playing it online a few years ago but couldnt get it working. Will definately be looking out for Planetary Annihilation.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah I remember playing that game, had a great time doing Free for all against the computer. Trying to defend myself against all those planes and ground robots was fun shit.
    The reason they call it the American Dream is because you have to be asleep to believe it.- George Carlin

Deleted
    Good to see that people have enjoyed this game! As I said, if you ever fancied getting back into it and trying (what is basically another expansion to the game) Escalation online, I would be more than happy to help you with any issues/questions you may have

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for reminding me about this game, bought it a few nights back on a drunk impulse. Tried the escalation pack, its awesome. Even got online working, something that a few years ago me and a friend were trying for hours. Im still shite though so dont think il be joining random online games for a while yet, can barely even beat the AI haha.

Deleted
    Very good quality RTS that i played alot of through my youth. Would probably call it my favorite RTS of all time, followed closely by supcom 1 (2 was made for kids it took some of the fun out). We still crack out SupCom every now and again on Tungle and play a few rounds.

On a slightly darker note the last we had this out at a lan, one of my mates decided to have an epileptic fit. It took him out of the game but we soldiered on

Remember kids flashing lights can actually cause seizures.

Quote Originally Posted by JLarks View Post
    SupCom2 was, from what ive read, utter crap and not worth getting.
    Well that is a shame, it is still good fun and you actually have a chance a getting an online match.

supreme commander is pretty good, there was also an open source engine fully kitted to simulate TA called Spring (might not exist anymore, not sure) which was awesome if for some reason you had multiplayer compatibility issues.

Quote Originally Posted by panterarules View Post
    supreme commander is pretty good, there was also an open source engine fully kitted to simulate TA called Spring (might not exist anymore, not sure) which was awesome if for some reason you had multiplayer compatibility issues.
    Spring and zero k are definitely alive and well, pretty sure the TA rebalanced or whatever the project was called is still around.

Deleted
    I used to play TA a lot. Waiting for the Planetary Annihilation to happen.
    Was a great game with a design that seems mostly lost in games nowadays. All those upgrades and what else. TA was simple with the whole thing about units not having some silly armory or similar to give +1 attack.
    Still got the game installed, its cheap on gog.com :P