Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Iamanerd View Post
    Yeah it's a very rough language to deal with, but its all about a logical approach and it takes a lot of time tbh. I mean I could try and emulate it all in C++ or well just about any language but me and my friend thought it would be fun to try it out. Just wondering but what languages do you work with?
    Well as far as mainstream languages, I really can only do C#, C++, Python, and a bit of Visual Basic. If we're counting more niche stuff, I can do GML, Ruby, and Kismet (I personally don't consider Kismet a language, but lots of indie teams want to know if you're experienced with it)

Story and design have always been my forte, so I'm not a fantastic programmer. I pretty much just know enough to get by, and have to learn a lot of it as I go.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    Well as far as mainstream languages, I really can only do C#, C++, Python, and a bit of Visual Basic. If we're counting more niche stuff, I can do GML, Ruby, and Kismet (I personally don't consider Kismet a language, but lots of indie teams want to know if you're experienced with it)

Story and design have always been my forte, so I'm not a fantastic programmer. I pretty much just know enough to get by, and have to learn a lot of it as I go.
    Yeah Story and design is a bit of weak part for me. Overall I've only been coding for over a year now as I used to just be a system modder for original xboxes/360's and then finished my engineering degree and decided I wanted to try out programming. So far I've worked with C++/Java/some C#, I'm playing around with Python here and there, I've used VB.net for all of a couple days and made a fully functional calculator including the modulus function with a UI I built and well I like the ease of it but I always loved C++. Now I'm playing with Z80 assembly and I'm working with some HTML5/CSS3/Javascript and jQuery for a website I want to get done before the summer. I don;t consider myself good at all and my friend I do this with has been coding for over 10 years and he just knows to much haha but I learn a lot from him.

For me programming is more of a hobby, I love it a lot but don't want to work in the field well corporate field as I have a few friends that say it has sucked all the fun out of it and as of late I'm considering working with computer hardware as a career as I enjoy that a lot haha. I've never used Ruby but I've heard its somewhat like Python and GML I've used a bit but nothing extensive. So I take it you're a computer science student or maybe self taught?

Some game genres I prefer as 2D, RPGs are definitely one of those. There's just some things that look a lot better as 2D than 3D, and frankly I wish 2D wasn't dying in favor of what often looks pretty bland. It does go the other way around too for some genres, like RTS games where I prefer them as 3D, but for RPGs specifically I prefer 2D, which is why I'm not so happy with Pokémon X & Y for what we know about it thus far.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Iamanerd View Post
    Yeah Story and design is a bit of weak part for me. Overall I've only been coding for over a year now as I used to just be a system modder for original xboxes/360's and then finished my engineering degree and decided I wanted to try out programming. So far I've worked with C++/Java/some C#, I'm playing around with Python here and there, I've used VB.net for all of a couple days and made a fully functional calculator including the modulus function with a UI I built and well I like the ease of it but I always loved C++. Now I'm playing with Z80 assembly and I'm working with some HTML5/CSS3/Javascript and jQuery for a website I want to get done before the summer. I don;t consider myself good at all and my friend I do this with has been coding for over 10 years and he just knows to much haha but I learn a lot from him.

For me programming is more of a hobby, I love it a lot but don't want to work in the field well corporate field as I have a few friends that say it has sucked all the fun out of it and as of late I'm considering working with computer hardware as a career as I enjoy that a lot haha. I've never used Ruby but I've heard its somewhat like Python and GML I've used a bit but nothing extensive. So I take it you're a computer science student or maybe self taught?
    I kind of agree with you on the corporate thing. I like to code, but I'm not sure I could be *just* a code writer. I see coding more as a means to an end, than a goal in itself.

As for my education, I'm doing my 3rd year of CNIT at Purdue right now. I learned Ruby and GML through forums, tutorials, and trial and error, but I learned the C languages and Python from classes.

Deleted
    I've recently picked up Cthulhu saves the world and it has to be one of the best old school rpgs ever simply because of the comedy in it

Deleted
    I dont mind 2D RPGs if they are good with a neat story and gameplay. RPGs are mostly about stories IMO anyway.

I kind of agree with you on the corporate thing. I like to code, but I'm not sure I could be *just* a code writer. I see coding more as a means to an end, than a goal in itself.

As for my education, I'm doing my 3rd year of CNIT at Purdue right now. I learned Ruby and GML through forums, tutorials, and trial and error, but I learned the C languages and Python from classes.
    Yeah agreed, I enjoy the coding but as long as I'm making something with practical use it's always a fun task for me. Also for school I did a year of Computer science after my engineering but I've had to stop due to money and currently I am looking for work etc. but once all that gets settled I plan on heading back to school part time to finish it part time.

For the most part I've learned everything on my own except for some C++ that I picked up in school and the java class that I took but it was useless as I learned more from modding minecraft haha.

I love 2D games, specially 2D isometric strategy games. Damn I have spent so much of my life playing those I'm just scared to think about it. My favourite: Jagged Alliance 2, Sudden Strike 1 & 2, Age of Empires 1 & 2, Age of Wonders 1 & 2, Heroes of might and magic 1,2,3,4,... I just don't know why developers are now forcing 3D so much, specially in strategy games, when they just destroy everything with it. Also if you want to make good looking 3D you have to put much more into it as to make beautiful 2D game. The only game that looks kinda good with 3D is diablo 3. Now just imagine how much effort they have put into art and modelling to make it look like nice looking 2D art game (it's not only locking camera, it's also nice models, textures and textures).

Herald of the Titans Drunkenfinn's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Secret of Mana, Seiken Densetsu 3, Suikoden, Terranigma, Tales of Phantasia, Chrono Trigger...

Oh lawd.

Makes me want to get some kind of portable gaming-device just so I could enjoy those gems again when on the train/bus and whatnot
    So many good games with great stories. Though I might be being a bit nostalgic here but who cares :P

I played the hell outta those games when I was younger and I would so do it again. So yes, people still like 2D games as long as they are good!

15+ Year Old Account
    Dear god, assembly language? I've never understood how people can put themselves through that. I mean to me, that's just one step above typing your code out in binary. Like, somebody has to do it, but it sure as hell isn't going to be me. [...]
    Back then in early 90s I used to program on my Amiga using that language a lot, I wrote a couple of libraries in it and I also did manual disassembling of binary code as well. Those were the times... The last time I used it was programming some LED scrolling text device using some archaic Intel CPU - which was fairly amusing that I did have the code scribbled on some post-it note (at least my professors thought it was considering others usually required couple of A4 sheets). Anyways for normal programming it's a rather niche language now, it was already back then but common enough that you had to get a certificate for it if you wanted to proceed in your studies.
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) & Neesheya (Paladin) @ Sylvanas EU (/ˈkaZHo͞oəl/) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

He seeks them here, he seeks them there, he seeks those lupins everywhere!

10+ Year Old Account
    I still love old 2D RPG's...
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance