Mastery & Beast Mastery PvP

Hi there,

I'm curious about BM hunters in pvp and mastery. Guides I have read tell me that mastery is dead last in stat priority. Is there a reason for this? Is it not accurate? It seems to me mastery for BM hunters would be of greater importance than other secondaries.

I've been pvping on my new hunter for a couple months now, any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I'm BM and my mastery is 40.something. Combined with my spirit pet buff my mastery is 50.something. My pet does a lot of damage in pvp....I put pvp power and mastery first as BM.

Why does it seem for you that Mastery is of greatest importance for PvP BM Hunters. Beause it says "increases pet damage"? By that logic Mastery is best for every spec for every situation because it clearly directly says "increases something".

Crit is still your most important stat. Nothing else much to say.

It's a legit question. Sacrificing crit for an equal amount of mastery will cost you some DPS if you were attacking a target full time, but in PVP you are not always using your full rotation on a target, meaning your pet can potentially be a higher % of your damage than in PvE and therefore mastery is worth more than crit. Another benefit of mastery is that it increases your max damage potential in a short window. While crit is better on average, eventually you will get to a point where your abilities crit often enough that you can decide you want to increase your max damage potential instead of your average damage. This is because targets generally die in a few seconds in PvP, unlike in PvE where averages always win out.

Crit levels are pretty low right now so I would gear for crit > mastery >>>>>>>> haste if I was you. Maybe once you're full epics from this season I would sacrifice some crit to get more mastery.

If your pet is doing most your damage then it's as simple as the other team doesn't know how to counter a BM Hunter properly. Also with Powershot being so amazing this tier when going for a kill I'd much prefer the extra chance to crit with powershot.

Your pet doesn't need to do most of your damage for mastery to gain in value, it just needs to do a higher percentage of your damage than "normal" (normal = PvE fight). I agree with you that hunters should take crit right now but it's not as clear-cut as you make it seem.

Whatever guide you read is lying to you. If you play a BM or surv class in either pvp or pve, mastery ranks ahead of haste, with crit being first obviously. Haste is a waste for BM hunters, haste really only is aplicable for MM hunters.