Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Is this a good gaming PC?

I've decided on a final build for the PC, could I get your guys' suggestions on it, if there's anything I can change to make it better or decrease the price while keeping the quality of the current components let me know. Also if you think I can get a better monitor or a better version of Windows (I'm not sure which version of Windows I got, I just got the higher rated one) please let me know. Now this IS the first computer I'm ever going to build so I don't know much but I got some ideas and help from friends and other forums and this is the result.

Semi-Final Build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Iv1O (I couldn't post the entire link since I'm new here, just copy and paste it, sorry)

Thank You.
    Last edited by BicycleMafioso; 2013-03-09 at 05:43 PM.

Lots of weird balancing issues there that could be improved...

- i7 does nothing for gaming, i5-3570 is just as good
    - H100i sure is good CPU cooler, but there's no reason why you can't get one that costs half
    - 2133MHz RAM gives no benefit over 1600MHz in gaming, just increases price. Also get low profile RAM
    - Full tower cases are big, really big... You sure you want one or could settle for something smaller?
    - Really cheap and low quality PSU & speakers compared to the rest of the pieces
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Lots of weird balancing issues there that could be improved...

- i7 does nothing for gaming, i5-3570 is just as good
    - H100i sure is good CPU cooler, but there's no reason why you can't get one that costs half
    - 2133MHz RAM gives no benefit over 1600MHz in gaming, just increases price. Also get low profile RAM
    - Full tower cases are big, really big... You sure you want one or could settle for something smaller?
    - Really cheap and low quality PSU & speakers compared to the rest of the pieces
    Thanks for the help I'll be glad to improve it if you can help me out, this PC IS mainly for gaming but that's not all I'm gonna be doing with it so I went with i7, also since this is my first PC I'm ever building could you tell me what low profile RAM is? There's an edit button at the top of the link if you don't mind making some changes for me. I'd love to get a smaller case if you could recommend one, that's just the case people on the other forums suggested but if I could get a smaller one I would love to. I don't know anything about speakers and no one would help me out with those so I just grabbed the cheapest ones I could find but if you could give me some better ones I'd appreciate it.

Save yourself $200 and scrap the SSD, I wouldn't waste any money on those until I can only have SSD', seems totally pointless having just 1... for faster boot up times, because I can not wait that 1 minute extra, and loading times in games... again that 20 seconds extra I have to wait... well i'm never getting that back again! Many people will disagree, since the current mentality of people indicates a clear lack of patience.

Wifi adapter... surely if you want to be gaming online you will go wired. But I guess if you are desperate.

And as above, get the i5 and LP ram and lower mhz.

The money you save could go towards getting a decent case. (http://www.anandtech.com/show/6684/r...t-everything/7)

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Iyij
    Last edited by Stockers; 2013-03-09 at 04:58 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Stockers View Post
    Save yourself $200 and scrap the SSD, I wouldn't waste any money on those until I can only have SSD', seems totally pointless having just 1... for faster boot up times, because I can not wait that 1 minute extra, and loading times in games... again that 20 seconds extra I have to wait... well i'm never getting that back again! Many people will disagree, since the current mentality of people indicates a clear lack of patience.

Wifi adapter... surely if you want to be gaming online you will go wired. But I guess if you are desperate.

The money you save could go towards getting a decent case. (http://www.anandtech.com/show/6684/r...t-everything/7)

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Iyij

When you get an SSD, you'll see for yourself that it is the best upgrade you can get, for any rig. Come into the light, bro.

The money you save could go towards getting a decent case.
    Thanks for the help, just to clarify so the SSD won't do anything but increase start up times? If that's it I have no problem getting rid of it. I know wired is better but I have to use Wired, I've played a lot of games in the past few years and I've never had a connection problem or anything so I don't think it's too big a deal. As for the i5, are you sure I should stay with it because on the last forum I checked someone said that eventually the i5 won't be enough to run games in the future because I need this PC to last me a few years Thanks for editing it to make it better and save me some money I appreciate it but if it's not too much to ask could you help me out with a decent pair of Speakers and check if my monitor is good or if I should get a better one.

Thank You

The money you save could go towards getting a decent case.
    Thanks for the help, just to clarify so the SSD won't do anything but increase start up times? If that's it I have no problem getting rid of it. I know wired is better but I have to use Wired, I've played a lot of games in the past few years and I've never had a connection problem or anything so I don't think it's too big a deal. As for the i5, are you sure I should stay with it because on the last forum I checked someone said that eventually the i5 won't be enough to run games in the future because I need this PC to last me a few years Thanks for editing it to make it better and save me some money I appreciate it but if it's not too much to ask could you help me out with a decent pair of Speakers and check if my monitor is good or if I should get a better one.

Thank You

I originally bought my SSD not for boot up times, but for a more stable and better performing operating system. Without it Windows seems to crap out after awhile, no matter how many times you run the defrag and registry fix / clean up.

Thanks for the help, just to clarify so the SSD won't do anything but increase start up times? If that's it I have no problem getting rid of it. I know wired is better but I have to use Wireless, I've played a lot of games in the past few years and I've never had a connection problem or anything so I don't think it's too big a deal. As for the i5, are you sure I should stay with it because on the last forum I checked someone said that eventually the i5 won't be enough to run games in the future because I need this PC to last me a few years Thanks for editing it to make it better and save me some money I appreciate it but if it's not too much to ask could you help me out with a decent pair of Speakers and check if my monitor is good or if I should get a better one.

Thank You

Quote Originally Posted by zZSmExYsLiCeR View Post
    Thanks for the help, just to clarify so the SSD won't do anything but increase start up times? If that's it I have no problem getting rid of it. I know wired is better but I have to use Wireless, I've played a lot of games in the past few years and I've never had a connection problem or anything so I don't think it's too big a deal. As for the i5, are you sure I should stay with it because on the last forum I checked someone said that eventually the i5 won't be enough to run games in the future because I need this PC to last me a few years Thanks for editing it to make it better and save me some money I appreciate it but if it's not too much to ask could you help me out with a decent pair of Speakers and check if my monitor is good or if I should get a better one.

Thank You
    The i5 will last you as long as the i7 as they are both the same socket type (unless you burn it out from Over Clocking.) The forum user may have had it in his mind that that i7 was using a different socket type in which Intel will probably adopt over LGA 1155.
    Then again he may have assumed i7 is a higher number then i5, so it HAS to be better for gaming. :S

Also the SSD doesn't only boost start up times. It helps Windows perform much better over all. Programs will open much more faster then on a standard drive (unless your programs are all installed to the storage drive.)

Quote Originally Posted by Chonaire View Post
    When you get an SSD, you'll see for yourself that it is the best upgrade you can get, for any rig. Come into the light, bro.
    My mate in the next room has one... Agility 3 i think... He's even got the little sticker on the side of his case "My SSD is faster than your HDD". When I go in, I always have a chuckle to myself.

And yes I know it would be an upgrade, but for the price, I'd rather just shell out and get a large HDD. And until they are around 20p/gb, i'll stick with HDD.

BUT, that's just my opinion, and many will disagree i'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Libram View Post
    The i5 will last you as long as the i7 as they are both the same socket type (unless you burn it out from Over Clocking.) The forum user may have had it in his mind that that i7 was using a different socket type in which Intel will probably adopt over LGA 1155.
    Then again he may have assumed i7 is a higher number then i5, so it HAS to be better for gaming. :S

Also the SSD doesn't only boost start up times. It helps Windows perform much better over all. Programs will open much more faster then on a standard drive (unless your programs are all installed to the storage drive.)
    Thanks, does that mean I should wait for the LGA 1155 or just get the i5 as is?

Quote Originally Posted by Libram View Post
    I originally bought my SSD not for boot up times, but for a more stable and better performing operating system. Without it Windows seems to crap out after awhile, no matter how many times you run the defrag and registry fix / clean up.
    I have my windows on a separate HDD anyway, which I only install windows, office and other related programs, which gets a format every few months anyway. My other hard drives have games on one and films and music on the other. Which are all running great really.

I do really want SSD's, but like I said before, until I can kit my computer out almost completely with them, especially for O/S and games, not so bothered about films, then i'll hold back.

I have my windows on a separate HDD anyway, which I only install windows, office and other related programs, which gets a format every few months anyway. My other hard drives have games on one and films and music on the other. Which are all running great really.

I do really want SSD's, but like I said before, until I can kit my computer out almost completely with them, especially for O/S and games, not so bothered about films, then i'll hold back.
    You may not want them, but you shouldn't go around telling people not to get one just because you don't want to. An SSD considerably improves quality of life, everything loads faster and performs better.
    ||i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz||H100 push/pull||AsRock Z77 Extreme4||16Gb G.Skill Ripjaws 1600MHz||Gigabyte Windforce GTX 970|| Coolermaster Storm Trooper||Corsair TX850 Enthusiast Series||Samsung 840 Pro 128gb(boot drive)||1TB WD HDD, 2x 3TB WD HDD, 2TB WD HDD||

Bdk Nagrand / Astae Nagrand
    Pokemon X FC: 4656-7679-2545/Trainer Name: Keno

Thanks, does that mean I should wait for the LGA 1155 or just get the i5 as is?
    In your other post you said,
    on the last forum I checked someone said that eventually the i5 won't be enough to run games in the future because I need this PC to last me a few years.
    I am simply saying that none will out live the other. Both the i7 you have in your build linked in the original post and the i5 that vesseblah suggested are LGA 1155 socket types.
    I replied back saying that since both are the same socket type, none is going to out live the other. (In other words you don't have to wait for it, it's already out.)
    Currently gaming doesn't use the hyper threading the i7 supports and the i5 3570(k) that vesseblah suggested will have no noticeable night and day difference from the i7. The i5 processor will be less the price for the same performance in gaming.
    Now if you have the money and would wish to buy the i7 for brag rights at LAN parties, sure go ahead, I'm not here to stop you.

I did this for awhile and it worked out pretty well. Some of my games would have to be re-installed though because I think their missing registry entries may have caused some problems? Most of my games tend to rebuild the entries, but a few of my older ones refused. x)
    Last edited by Libram; 2013-03-09 at 05:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by b0sanac View Post
    You may not want them, but you shouldn't go around telling people not to get one just because you don't want to. An SSD considerably improves quality of life, everything loads faster and performs better.
    But the OP asked for suggestions... and that is my suggestion. He does not sound particularly computer savy, so drew to the conclusion that he would probably not notice the difference between pressing the on button and windows loading in 90 seconds, and pressing the on button and windows loading in 30 seconds, or playing a game and having a loading screen for 15 seconds instead of 5 seconds. Or perhaps loading up MS Word which takes 20 seconds instead of 7.

And performance... what performs better?

So I edited it a bit and this is what I came up with:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/IyCj (Still can't post URL's sorry, just copy and paste it)

And could I get some recommendations for a monitor, speakers, and which Windows Operating System should I get? And is the motherboard good enough because first I was recommended a different one but it was crazy expensive at like $450 so I decided against it and got a cheaper one, so will this one work for me or do I need a better one? Also will I need a sound card and a Wireless Network Adapter or no? I know it's probably a stupid question but I'm completely new to building PC's and all of this stuff so I don't know if I'd need them.
    Last edited by BicycleMafioso; 2013-03-09 at 05:45 PM.

pcpartpicker.com/p/IyCj (Still can't post URL's sorry, just copy and paste it)

And could I get some recommendations for a monitor, speakers, and which Windows Operating System should I get? And is the motherboard good enough because first I was recommended a different one but it was crazy expensive at like $450 so I decided against it and got a cheaper one, so will this one work for me or do I need a better one? Also will I need a sound card and a Wireless Network Adapter or no? I know it's probably a stupid question but I'm completely new to building PC's and all of this stuff so I don't know if I'd need them.

Give us a run down of your expectations mate, do you have money to just blow on a overkill computer? or do you wanna save a few $ where and when you can, and not lose out on much?

What are you gonna be doing? you said gaming... but then mention you'll be doing other things... such as?

EDIT: As for monitors and such... you can give yourself an ego boost and flex your wallet and splash out on a dell or samsung monitor for like $600+ for a 27" or be realistic and get something like Benq or Asus which will serve you just as good and save yourself $300.

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-monitor-ve278h
    http://pcpartpicker.com/part/benq-monitor-gw2750hm

As for speakers... I barely use mine, so I can't help really. Mine are about 8 years old Creative I-trigue and they were maybe £100 at the time... maybe more. I don't remember, and they still work perfectly. 95% of the time I use my headset, Corsair Vengeance 1500

Motherboard... PERSONALLY... I wouldn't pick MSI.

http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/mother...18&sort=a6&f=2

maybe... http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-motherboard-p8z77vle

I have http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asrock-...z77performance but will be changing when I can...

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-mo...-sabertoothz77
    Last edited by Stockers; 2013-03-09 at 05:48 PM.

pcpartpicker.com/p/IyCj (Still can't post URL's sorry, just copy and paste it)

I would suggest Windows 7 x64-bit-OEM. It can be bought for $99. There is also Windows 8 x64-bit-OEM if you would prefer that operating system.
    The OEM version of Windows 7 & 8 will only allow you to install it to one computer (not multiple.) It can be possible to have it removed and swapped over to a second different computer, but that requires calling Microsoft.

Now speakers... Honestly don't know, I'm not a audiophile. =S

A few of your posts were caught in the spam filter, so I approved those; I also editted the URLs for you (those that I could find at least!) and moved this into the appropriate sub-forum; I'll go over the topic itself at a later time.