Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    Would be cool tbh. Time to try something new for fishing.

It's easy already to gank fishermen in wow. This would make it even easier.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mukor View Post
    It's easy already to gank fishermen in wow. This would make it even easier.
    How do you think we could change the system to help with that?

Perhaps if you enter combat, it auto-kicks you from the 'mini-game' with a giant alert (like the loss of control ones used now)? It could re-equip your standard gear too, but I don't that would happen.

Maybe a simpler idea: It doesn't follow the lure but keeps the standard fishing perspective. There would be no depth to how your lure would fall in the water though... but its not a horrible compromise.
    Last edited by WarlockJack; 2013-03-12 at 06:49 PM.

I would like fishicg to have an area target to control about where the bobber lands. The higher the skill, or the closer to the "required" skill, the smaller the target area and hte more accurate you can fish. Handy for pools. Good fishermen can get pretty accurate with their casting.

That and a fishing title called master baiter

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by uopayroll View Post
    I would like fishicg to have an area target to control about where the bobber lands. The higher the skill, or the closer to the "required" skill, the smaller the target area and hte more accurate you can fish. Handy for pools. Good fishermen can get pretty accurate with their casting.

That and a fishing title called master baiter
    lol!

I agree... This would be a change you could add to the current system with zero effort. Being able to choose where to cast would eliminate "too shallow" and "didnt cast in water" messages along with the "I had to cast 9 times to make it into my pool" issues.

10+ Year Old Account
    Personally, I can't stand fishing in wow. It's way too boring to lvl up.

As far as the changes you propose DeadlySteve, I'm not sure they would make more people "like" fishing (it may, who knows, I obviously don't speak for everyone). I personally feel they need to speed up the lvling process with fishing because nobody uses any of the mats you get from fishing except at max lvl anyways. So I really like your idea of rewarding more skill points for "catching" more difficult to find fish. But I don't like the fact that I would more actively have to focus on fishing in game (again, just my line of thinking).

I think your solution might be good if implemented for lvl 90 toons with their fishing skill at max lvl. Maybe set it up like the our farms are so that you purchase certain lures from a vendor (Nat Pagle comes to mind here) to fish up certain fish. To make it not feel too daunting, maybe set it up like the "work order" quests that are available at your farm once you take it over. That way people won't feel as if they need to fish up tons of stacks of these "bigger" fish. Or they could be bigger versions of the existing fish we use for cooking that only 'experienced" (i.e. max lvl) fisherman can possibly catch.

I don't know, just thinking off the top of my head while at work. I really hate lvling fishing though!!! lol

How about adding targeted casting, then making pools of different sizes? There can be some small amount of deviation in your cast landing from where you target and the smaller the pool size the better the catch. Also, the smaller the pool the rarer they are ... and they spawn randomly anywhere a pool can spawn. Also the smallest pools can perhaps have rare crates that contain rare mounts, gear, whatever.

Not too big a change and adds some variety to fishing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Boramir View Post
    Personally, I can't stand fishing in wow. It's way too boring to lvl up.

As far as the changes you propose DeadlySteve, I'm not sure they would make more people "like" fishing (it may, who knows, I obviously don't speak for everyone). I personally feel they need to speed up the lvling process with fishing because nobody uses any of the mats you get from fishing except at max lvl anyways. So I really like your idea of rewarding more skill points for "catching" more difficult to find fish. But I don't like the fact that I would more actively have to focus on fishing in game (again, just my line of thinking).

I think your solution might be good if implemented for lvl 90 toons with their fishing skill at max lvl. Maybe set it up like the our farms are so that you purchase certain lures from a vendor (Nat Pagle comes to mind here) to fish up certain fish. To make it not feel too daunting, maybe set it up like the "work order" quests that are available at your farm once you take it over. That way people won't feel as if they need to fish up tons of stacks of these "bigger" fish. Or they could be bigger versions of the existing fish we use for cooking that only 'experienced" (i.e. max lvl) fisherman can possibly catch.

I don't know, just thinking off the top of my head while at work. I really hate lvling fishing though!!! lol

Fishing leveling is too slow:

I wholeheartedly agree, Archaeology and fishing are the two secondary professions you cant "buy" your way up. Archaeology doesn't take very long anymore AND isn't required by the game.

I think they 'tried' to make an easy catchup with Nat Pagle. If you hit best friend with him, you can buy books to level up fishing on alt characters. The only problem is, in order to be his best friend you have to do enough fishing to probably level all your alts TO max fishing already... >_< lousy. I've done EVERY MoP rep, and I'm still a couple weeks out on him (and grumpier every day I catch his crappy fish!).

They also give you +1 skill for every anglers daily quest you complete, but really? +1? wooooooooooooooooooooooooow.... +3, +5... that fits better.

Perhaps they could put in quests for 'rare' fish (kinda like nat's fish) that you have to go hunt BUT each one rewards an inordinately high amount of skill levels. Maybe you'd be out fishing and you'd hear some crazy music, and you'd have to jump to your keyboard and play some sort of mini-game. If you won, you'd get the special fish that can be turned in for extra skill OR a signed copy of "the old man and the sea" by Earnest Hemingway.

Fishing on the farm:

Its funny because the first time I saw the little pond, I said "there should be fish in it". I could see them implementing a daily quest to fish up a few fish in your pond. Perhaps BEN OF THE BOOMING VOICE or whatever his name was, could sell fish eggs or minnows and you could stock your farm with em; then a week later 'trawl' your pond to reap your fish crop. That'd be pretty cool... kinda like planting a crop really. Then they could easily implement work orders for fish.

My idea takes too much 'focus':

I don't think I was clear enough on this point. I'd like to have the system be where you can cast, and a fish will more or less FIND YOU. (In Soviet Russia, Fish find you!) So you could mindlessly cast and every 20 seconds or so, a fish would swim around, crash into your bait, and you'd hear the splash noise.... then real em in. That's actually how zelda almost worked. You can see that when he made his cast, two fish in a matter of seconds grabbed his line. He made the choice not to take em.

But the rare fish and trophy fish would be 'oh so crafty and sly'! They would not be fooled by the temptations of a lure that a lesser fish might imbibe in! For those, you'd have to don your fishing gear, get your best bait (I'd use cheeseburgers), take aim and fight fo' yo' fish prize!!

Quote Originally Posted by Balazaar View Post
    How about adding targeted casting, then making pools of different sizes? There can be some small amount of deviation in your cast landing from where you target and the smaller the pool size the better the catch. Also, the smaller the pool the rarer they are ... and they spawn randomly anywhere a pool can spawn. Also the smallest pools can perhaps have rare crates that contain rare mounts, gear, whatever.

Not too big a change and adds some variety to fishing.
    Having pools be variable sizes should be implemented IMO. It can't possibly be hard.

I think deviation in your cast should be bad at first, but reduce as you got skill. That would be cool. "less misses" so to speak.

The small pools for rare stuff could work. I'd like having 'washed up debris' pools that would contain all sorts of stuff.
    Last edited by WarlockJack; 2013-03-15 at 09:34 PM.

Well, change would be pretty neat, but at the same time that is more realistic and WoW is cartoony and about as non realistic as you can get. lol It would take way too much effort to do, and of course, being that fishing is a secondary profession, it's not really worth it. It's easier for Blizzard to just leave it as is and try to improve fishing quests and items you receive.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by sTyLnK View Post
    Well, change would be pretty neat, but at the same time that is more realistic and WoW is cartoony and about as non realistic as you can get. lol It would take way too much effort to do, and of course, being that fishing is a secondary profession, it's not really worth it. It's easier for Blizzard to just leave it as is and try to improve fishing quests and items you receive.
    I can't really agree that Zelda (especially the one that this was from) is very realistic. However, if this is too realistic of a concept for you; perhaps there is another idea that could improve on fishing for you?

The fact is, fishing being click->click->fish, is REALLY basic. We're not talking ANYWHERE near realism with this system. I think there is a LOT of middle ground between cartoon and real life that this can be adjusted through.

Even if you put in tons of rewards and anything else you could come up with to compensate you, it basically just boils down to your patience. How long can you sit and stem off the absolute boredom of standing in ONE place and clicking on ONE icon? Can you sit and do nothing long enough to win a prize?

Do you seriously have some ideas for rewards that you feel would make fishing fun to do? I think the flaw is in the execution of the profession; not the rewards (although improvement of the rewards is definitely of interest to me as well).

The idea that 'secondary' professions should be useless really just comes from the idea that secondary professions HAVE been useless. Who is to say that they can't be useful, engaging and fun? I think the only thing that should separate Secondary from Primary professions should be the fact that everyone can have them. Other than that, why cant they be just as, if not more so impressive than primary ones?

Also, I'd like to point out that Blizzard has different departments. Working on a profession wouldn't be taking resources away from developing the rest of the game.
    Last edited by WarlockJack; 2013-03-15 at 11:42 PM.

I think this would be a better way of fishing on WoW.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAbe7Wq7Fsg

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Waltzinblack View Post
    I think this would be a better way of fishing on WoW.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAbe7Wq7Fsg
    LOL I think the best part was the steel drum music in the background! ^_^