Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1

    Anyone else feeling a little useless?

    Sorry no logs at the moment. But for the first time this expansion I am massively concerned about DPS. Consistently really far behind almost everyone else in 10m ToT (me and the other Frost mage). Really not sure what to do, I know it's useless without logs and such but how are other Frost mages doing so far? I've heard a lot are being benched, I would bench me right now... Previous to 5.2 I was arcane/frost and top 90% of fights.

    Totos was especially bad.

    Going to see how Megaera goes now...

  2. #2
    You're not alone, I promise. I am mashing my buttons harder than ever and I find myself consistently coming up short.

    I recognize things are bad right now and I try my best not to complain, as well as hope that things will turn around. However, what makes it worse are the people who seem to gloat in light of the fact that Mages did well in 5.0/5.1. Furthermore, several people (Lore from TankSpot chiefly among them, who in his latest PST Rapid Fire podcast cited how high frost is in T14H-gear sims and how high arcane is in T15H-gear sims as the chief reason mages should not be complaining) seem to believe that Mages who are doing poorly are "bad at their class" or claim that we have "plenty of raid utility" because we bring Arcane Brilliance, Bloodlust, Frost Nova, Counterspell, Ring of Frost, Polymorph—completely notwithstanding the fact that the buffs we bring are brought by classes with more utility (Locks, Shammies, etc.) or that some of our utility has been rendered completely useless by the content (Polymorph? Frost Nova? Seriously?).

  3. #3
    Pandaren Monk Akraen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    SC, USA
    Posts
    1,827
    You can be middle of the pack or even the top if you ignore fight mechanics

  4. #4
    Mechagnome Jaojin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    The Cabin
    Posts
    533
    Puzzle and Dragons Addict.

  5. #5
    Herald of the Titans LocNess's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Indiana, United States
    Posts
    2,926
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaojin View Post
    I've been in a bitter as hell mood since 5.2. This made me chuckle.

  6. #6
    I knew things were bad when I had trouble with the vermin on my farm

  7. #7
    Field Marshal
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Northants, UK
    Posts
    57
    Solo grinding isnt a problem, i still chain pull 2-3 mobs at a time as fire without problems and meh gear, but in a raid, well...

    We finally got our "progression" kill, and I did 42k in fire spec on bladelord, 20k dps behind anyone else, purely down to the "gods of crit" deciding to be out on the golf course instead.

    Will try arcane haste or ROP again and see how it fares, even though not much better


    My guild is now getting bored of me moaning all the time, however at least I have the meters to back it up!
    (I actually brought in my priest for the next boss, and without trying it was doing more dps)

  8. #8
    Moderator Shangalar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Rijeka, Croatia
    Posts
    1,801
    I don't feel useless. Of all the fights that I've seen so far, Tortos is the only problematic one with dps. Last fight we tried was Durumu and it was really good as well.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Shangalar View Post
    I don't feel useless. Of all the fights that I've seen so far, Tortos is the only problematic one with dps. Last fight we tried was Durumu and it was really good as well.
    Is that as Frost?

  10. #10
    I'm not having such a difficult time either.

    I ranked 73 on Tortos (not overall, only for Frost mages) and once we can get that last head down on Megeara, I'll be within top 30 there as well.

    I'm within top 3 on the meter and I haven't played frost this expansion until 5.2 hit, so I still got a few things to perfect. You can go ahead and say people could pull way higher numbers than a frost mage, when in reality what matters really is your personal skill. Chances are, unless you raid on a hardcore level, your allies will not be able to reach their maximum DPS with their class and thus, getting that #1 spot on the meter all boils down to you and NOT your class.

  11. #11
    Ye its a bit rught but we cope. Inn our 10 man we feel the nerfs quite a bit as we got 2 mages inn our team. We probably not going to get sat becouse we are fairly casual and our roster dont have any replacements that beat our dps.

    But tortos gave us a bit off a chalange tonight. It seems we strugle whit killing the bats inn particular. But overal we also seem a bit behind on dps. Any one got any tips for me and my fellow mage?

    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...ses&boss=67977

  12. #12
    @Veroxa

    Tell the other mage to go frost and rotate between Frozen Orbs on the bats. Use Glyph of Ice Lance and spam your FoF procs on the bats, as well as using "Freeze" on cooldown on them (yearh, they generate procs).

    It's either that, your allies needs to up their AoE or you get an Ele shaman.

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Veroxa View Post
    Ye its a bit rught but we cope. Inn our 10 man we feel the nerfs quite a bit as we got 2 mages inn our team. We probably not going to get sat becouse we are fairly casual and our roster dont have any replacements that beat our dps.

    But tortos gave us a bit off a chalange tonight. It seems we strugle whit killing the bats inn particular. But overal we also seem a bit behind on dps. Any one got any tips for me and my fellow mage?

    http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...ses&boss=67977
    Roll a warlock or a hunter till 5.4, maybe beyond. You can gear it out in lfr pretty quickly and do higher damage plus you get to cast on the move.

  14. #14
    Moderator Shangalar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Rijeka, Croatia
    Posts
    1,801
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasard View Post
    Is that as Frost?
    As Arcane, which is supposed to be the king of not having mobility. That's why I don't understand all of this kicking and screaming going on.

    The key to doing dps as a mage at the moment isn't buffing our dps (though I don't claim that it wouldn't be good), but knowing the boss timers and abilities by heart. Knowing that the second you activate Icy Veins you will have 20 seconds to do damage and not suddenly being forced to run halfway across the world. Same with Arcane Power. Knowing that when you activate Alter Time something that will kill you will be launched in your direction in the next couple of seconds.

    There's no more mindless bashing of our rotations and cooldowns.

  15. #15
    The Lightbringer foxHeart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Inside Jabu-jabu's Belly
    Posts
    3,320
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaojin View Post
    Well, damn. It's an actually remotely funny daily blink. lol
    Look! Words!

  16. #16
    Take this however you wish, but really?!? QQing since for once in the 8 years I've been playing Mages are not top damage??? I say about time you guys feel the pain that other classes have had to endure. Karma is a bitch I guess.
    You say that I'm cold, and sometimes I'm out of control.

  17. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by Shangalar View Post
    As Arcane, which is supposed to be the king of not having mobility. That's why I don't understand all of this kicking and screaming going on.

    The key to doing dps as a mage at the moment isn't buffing our dps (though I don't claim that it wouldn't be good), but knowing the boss timers and abilities by heart. Knowing that the second you activate Icy Veins you will have 20 seconds to do damage and not suddenly being forced to run halfway across the world. Same with Arcane Power. Knowing that when you activate Alter Time something that will kill you will be launched in your direction in the next couple of seconds.

    There's no more mindless bashing of our rotations and cooldowns.
    Is there an up to date guide on Arcane you could point me to?

  18. #18
    Moderator Shangalar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Rijeka, Croatia
    Posts
    1,801
    Quote Originally Posted by Lexanna View Post
    Take this however you wish, but really?!? QQing since for once in the 8 years I've been playing Mages are not top damage??? I say about time you guys feel the pain that other classes have had to endure. Karma is a bitch I guess.
    Had you been following our discussions the last couple of weeks you'd know where our concerns and QQ lie. It's not only a matter of straight up dps. However, my intent is to show that we're not that bad as people expect.

    ---------- Post added 2013-03-12 at 01:04 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Jasard View Post
    Is there an up to date guide on Arcane you could point me to?
    Yes. Get ready for it:
    Keep Nether Tempest up
    Arcane Blast x 4 (most of the time)
    Arcane Missiles x 2 (when you have them)
    Arcane Barrage
    - sometimes you'll be able to weave in an extra Blast now and then, but those occasions are rare
    - sometimes you can refresh your DoT earlier than you should if you have procs up to give you a chance of generating a Missiles proc

    Basically the same thing we'd be doing at 6 Charges if we hadn't been using Scorch for the last 3 months.

    I'll update the actual guide soon, I just need to play a bit more to be fully ready to post the update.

  19. #19
    useless is the wrong term in this case, more like a bad feeling if u see the lowdps from a mage and not the blue thing on top of the skada/recount

  20. #20
    All the other dps classes are also having to watch CD usage windows too. So I have an EXTREMELY hard time believing the majority of the raiding mage community is below par - see Raidbots- due to poor CD management. I've never seen the class overall in a worse position for dmg, utility and QoL (played Mage main since mid Wrath). I changed mains from a Boomkin in the first place in ORDER to play a highly dependable performance class. (Or at least with the capacity to do very well with skill.) I feel that is part of the inherent definition of being a Mage, & for the most part Mages have stood the test of time.

    I'm now edging my back-pocket Warlock alt along the learning/gearing curve. Not particularly happy to abandon my favorite class, but all the reasons I enjoyed it have slowly dissolved.

    As a mage, I do feel useless to substandard at best. I would rather be of more use to my raid whether it's my progression group or a casual weekend one.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •